Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Glory mode being FD-only is kinda lame since the tournament scene hasn't played exclusively on FD in...well, ever. Battlefield is more common, even in Melee.

Also the fact that you can be banned in For Fun mode because you overly targeted certain players is the most :psyduck: thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Blackheart posted:

I mean we were laughing at goony scarf kid during the live event but I'd like to believe most of us weren't really serious. It's not like the guy was M2K. Hope people won't start harassing him or anything.

Considering how many people have been reacting to him both on SA and off, I'm not too hopeful. People get really, really mad over this idea of honor.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

No, but for the game to appeal to the casual audience, they need to feel as good as the pro players.

Bayonetta did have the difficulty where you could play with one button and see sick mad combos. Maybe that's what Smash 4 needs?

Seriously though, 99% of the stuff you see done with Melee though is just exhibition stuff, not at all viable in competitive play. There was a lot of the same stuff done by Desk for SF4 pushing the game's engine to the limits: almost none of it seen at the upper levels. You don't need to be a highly competitive player to play Falcon or Fox and pull off some great looking stuff, which only gets better as you practice. Nothin' wrong with practicing either :cmon:

The smash series in general is already pretty scary to complete newcomers and requires more thought to get into it than many other games. I've played with a good amount of first-time players and for them having to intuitively understand the movement system, the range on various attacks, actively punishing certain attacks, using the various items and KOing people can be difficult. It's not like say MK or SF where you can mostly walk forward, hit buttons and eventually someone will fall over. Which is interesting to see, since the Smash series is usually seen as one of the easiest games to get into.

It's not an easy thing to solve, but the best you can do is make everything 'feel' right and hope people will latch on. I think that's why many of those same people I've played with didn't really enjoy Brawl. Smash 4 is definitely a step in the right direction, and I'm super happy they're actively taking feedback from players.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think that's an actual combo, you can see between each attack that WFT recovers and tries to attack. I could be wrong though and she could still be in hitstun mid-recovery.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Wario's Shoulder Tackle is hella rad and the Wario Land series is hella rad.

Bike was fun but also useless, like FLUDD. So I'm okay with it being gone.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I will forever prefer Project M because Captain Falcon isn't useless in Project M.

Also because I apparently like non-games and/or hate fun depending on who I'm talking to.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like people are focusing too hard on the Mod part of the thing and not realizing how much of a herculean effort it is to actually mod a game like Brawl without easy access to the source or development tools.

Reverse engineering is incredibly, incredibly difficult! They had to make all of the tools themselves to allow them to modify large parts of the game and most of the coding is done in assembly. That to me is insane, especially since you have to try and weave your code into an already finished game. It's pretty impressive and is its own game at this point.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Chaltab posted:

I generally like Project M, but I do think it suffers from its design goals being so specific--ie similarity to melee and tournament play. Too many stages including Sonic's are sort of robbed of character. Not that I'm a huge fan of the actual Brawl Green Hill Zone but it would have been cool to actually make an interesting stage of it instead of 'eh, let's make it like Final Destination'

I disagree, mainly because the stages they changed were absolutely terrible to actually play on and the gimmick wasn't very fun after the first few times. Like the WarioWare stage was fun once or twice and then the minigames became more annoying than fun. Or New Pork City, because New Pork City.

The stages they've added are some of my favorites, like Hyrule Castle and Fourside.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 8, 2014

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Totally. I don't understand why L-canceling was a mechanic instead of all attacks by default just taking half as long to recover from. It doesn't actually add anything to the experience, it's just a needless extra button press.

L-Canceling did have a purpose though, it was so that players could drop combos and get punished. It functions similarly to having to link attacks instead of just having them chain automatically. It helps increase the risk if you play super aggressively.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you have teching which functions as the same thing but for the defending player. Not teching can result in your opponent being able to land even more attacks. Is that also a needless button press, and should teching be automatic?

That said, I don't think L-Canceling is a entirely vital mechanic but there was a reason for it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Oops.

Also I should stop reading "leak" posts because it just depresses me knowing they're not true. :negative:

She was originally planned as an alt costume and a lot of the images you see makes her seem like an alt without any additional knowledge.

That said a lot of it is bullshit (Bandana Dee :wtc:) and 'turning off' wavedashing is silly because it requires you to change how characters land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Finally, now that Wavedashing is gone I can prove that those tryhards aren't as good as I am :smug:

• Locked thread