Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

gently caress am I even going to buy this game? Jesus christ.
You can use it online with friends, too. You just can't use it in random online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.
It's not even a matter of balance, it's a matter of beign able to go online and be reasonably sure what each character is capable of.

It's a neat g oofy thing you can do, not something the game is built around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaltab posted:

How is it that Retro can make a better looking Samus head on the Gamecube in 2002 than NamcoBandai can in 2014?

different artstyles? that head would look weird as gently caress in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, yeah I suppose I didn't see it that way. It's just something that could increase the depth of the match-ups 100-fold but if it's just something to dick around with that's fine.
You can't even see who you're up against before you pick a character in random online. How would it 'increase depth of the match-ups?' You can't specifically set your moves a certain way to counter a specific character because you don't know who you're gonna be up against. The only times it can increase the depth of the match-ups is when you know who you're gonna be up against. IE: Offline or online with friends. IE: where you can already use it.

Being able to use it in random online would just be a complete crapshoot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

When sakurai first mentioned transferring between the two versions, we all thought he meant costumes or Mii designs or some poo poo. I don't think anyone actually thought he'd allow us access to characters' movesets.

This is the sort of thing he meant, we'll be able to poke around with our favorite character's moves and then upload those to the Wii U version when it comes it and start impressing all your friends by how much better you made Marth or Link or Samus.

God and I thought I couldn't want this game more than Brawl.
He never said the move customization thing would be a transfer thing, though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure it looking like poo poo is the joke, mate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Half of Ganondorf's moves are OHKOs if you're at anything above 0%. It'll be fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

But what would he do? He has no unique characteristics whatsoever. Give me your pitch, man.
Sports/Mario Kart based moves. Peach only has one move that uses that (her forward smash) and he could also incorporate mario party mechanics. His up B could be like a jumping version of Game and Watch's Side B, where he jumps up, hits a block, and gets various effects based on the number he rolled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LanceKing2200 posted:

I challenge any of the Waluigi fans to name anything he has ever done in an actual game. No, taunts, victory poses and the like don't count because Wario or another character could do them and nothing would be lost. Name something, anything, that Waluigi has actually done.
Stolen a magical musical note and challenged Mario to a dance off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm not the greatest follower of the Mega Man franchise, but what iteration of Mega Man is the one between the OG and Legends in that final smash picture? I understand that from left-to-right is Battle Network, X, Original, ?, and Mega Man Legends.
Star Force.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

can the next thread be named "shut the gently caress up about waluigi," tia*

So the mons we have currently revealed are Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and Jigglypuff brings us to five. What do you think the odds are that Mewtwo makes six, six being the "magic number" that was the amount of playable mons in Brawl? Or is it more likely they'll try to tone 'mon representation down a little?

[sub]*could probably equally apply to mewtwo and ridley but oh well
Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise they have. They'd probably make the entire game pokemon if they thought they could get away with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If Nintendo was going to make a competitive fighter, I doubt they'd choose to associate with Pokemon, of all things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Serperior would be cool because it would be the first Smash character without legs.
Jigglypuff and Kirby have feet but not legs. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A Protoman Assist Trophy would just be him teleporting down, starting his theme song and posing for a minute.
Triggers the end credits from Megaman 3, just with your character replacing Megaman.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Replace Nana with a pikmin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Earthbound is a game a good few people remember fondly, it isn't some big mega-franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The original creator of Earthbound doesn't want to make any more games. I don't see how respecting that wish is 'willing to let it die.' I'm sure they'd be happy to produce another game, but if the main driving force behind it isn't up for it, then churning a fourth entry into an only moderately popular series out would be pointless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you're tired of people mentioning characters they want in Smash, then why even go into a Smash Brothers thread? Like, that's going to be 95% of the discussion just by default.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Karthe posted:

Why would anyone assume that these would be playable characters? If anything, these characters seem more likely to show up as specific stage bosses similar to how the Yellow Devil makes an appearance in the Mega Man stage. :colbert:
Chrom as a Stage Boss?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

minusX posted:

I was at my local Khol's and saw this [timg]http://imgur.com/0iAu0Wp [/itmg]. Might be worth checking for those who haven't picked one up yet.
Is that an XL or a normal one? Because if you're getting a 3DS at this point, you might as well get an XL unless you're super tight on money.

Sticker Star wasn't very good, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could buy Palutena, but Chrom as a stage-hazard would be super weird. Since the FE stage is Ferox, it'd make much more sense for Basilio and Flavia to do that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

If any Awakening character was a stage hazard, it'd have to Grima or Naga. I mean they're the only ones revered as gods and have purportedly way more power than any of the playable characters.
Outworld stage, various Annas show up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Might be an FE1 or 3 based stage, since if Ike doesn't return Marth would be the only FE character from a console game, remakes aside.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Welcome to For Glory mode, how tough are you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It seems weird to imagine someone who can't resist the siren call of Smash Bros but can't find a single other game in the Wii U's library that they want to play, small though it is.
They don't like Pikmin, got burnt out on New Super Mario Brothers, and don't like Platinum Games that much, heard Sonic: Lost World was mediocre, and don't like Zelda that much.

Like I own a Wii U because I'm first world problems personified but it's been literally collecting dust for four months. There's stuff coming out for it that I want but there's literally nothing out now that I have any interest in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Not that I disagree but this sounds like a person who has no reason to care about Smash Bros anyway.
That person is me.

I love a lot of Nintendo series, and how the game plays? Like I even love Mario, I'm just more a fan of the RPGs and the various spin-offs than I am the actual platformers.

poo poo, even if I hated every other Nintendo series, I'd buy it just for the FE characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

There's not a whole lot of Smash-likes, are there? Of course there's Playstation All Stars... I guess. There's also Megabyte Punch on PC. Um... Digimon Rumble Arena 2?
Terrible, Terrible, and Rumble Arena 2 uses an HP system, doesn't it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I know the first Rumble Arena had HP. Only played the second one once and I remember it having some hybrid system.
It had HP, but reducing everyone's HP wasn't how you won, you got points by scoring kills and whoever had the most at the end won. Think Deathmatch in an FPS.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

Not my mom, opinion is invalid. Although I will probably get a Zelda title on the WiiU eventually too.
What if The GIG actually is your mom though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thwack! posted:

While I wholeheartedly agree on how awful Playstation All Stars is, hearing about Megabyte Punch being bad is new to me. Especially considering that I was mildly interested in it pre release. Any reason why it's terrible?
Characters look way too similar so multiplayer is completely incomprehensible, no online play, adventure mode drags on way too long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That game led me to learning that Ben Ten's rival is named Kevin E. Levin.

Kevin E. Levin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why not have Palutena be Pitt's final smash?
Because we already saw his final smash, and it wasn't her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be cool at first but after the 500th match it'd get old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I want every character and stage at the beginning so I can, y'know, just grab it and play with friends immediately without feeling gimped. Trophies don't have a gameplay effect, so having to unlock them is fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I like getting rewards but for travel and and tournament stuff they probably should include a code that unlocks everything. I like getting stages and characters for playing. It's fun for me and part of what sets Smash apart from what feels like pointless grind in other fighting games.
Wait, so playing the game for its own sake is pointless grind, but having to unlock characters/stages isn't? :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You do realize that kids who weren't even born when Brawl came out will be playing this game, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

*grabs pile of poo poo and sniffs it* Mmm! *takes a big bite* More DLC please! *burps a fart-smelling burp*
DLC has been done well in several games and would allow them to add characters they had to cut due to their deadline.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's mine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Something like the dash attack he's had ever since the first game?
The fireball is from the yoyo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Smash has never had a completely irrelevant charact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqIeMOK4gk

• Locked thread