Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Was there an announcement about this that I missed?

Elec Man was in the Assist Trophy montage, he just got overshadowed by Pong.

I still absolutely love that we can say that Pong is in the new Smash Bros, and not be joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Countblanc posted:

Basically it looks like a more newbie friendly melee, and I'm completely ok with that (as long as there's at least one good heavyweight character)

You got a full Charizard, what more could you possibly want?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really can't believe the 3DS version is releasing several loving months before the WiiU version. I guess they're REALLY in a hurry to see the WiiU fail and die. Thanks Nintendo.

I think this might actually be the best course of action, really. They release the 3DS version around the middle of the year, presumably everyone enjoys it but sort of eases off by the end of the year, and then the bigger and better WiiU version comes out to recapture everyone's attention.

If they're relying a lot on Smash Bros for the WiiU, this might be the best way to ensure the 3DS version doesn't cripple its sales in the first place. I feel like if they're released at the same time, people would only buy one, but if one's coming out later then people might be more inclined to buy it a second time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A few other things from that album that I think are worth highlighting, because I don't recognize them. I'd post them directly, but I can't manage to do that with Flickr.

There's a Tanooki leaf, a chest, a drill cannon (from Megaman, maybe? I don't know), an eye cannon, a hornet's nest (possibly from the Villager), and a boomerang. There's also a picture of Chespin, presumably form a Pokeball; I don't remember if he was in the Direct.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I enjoy that Megaman's final smash is a cutscene that momentarily hijacks the match, like Captain Falcon's did in Brawl.

This one's at least probably more useful. The Blue Falcon was loving awful, but I imagine this one will at least have range.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kurtofan posted:

Ice Climber Bear spotted:

And those assholes from that one stage in Mario 3.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Excels posted:

So assuming the leak is accurate (it has yet to be wrong), the next reveals we'll see before summer will be

-Palutena (Sakurai pretty much gave this one away)
-Shulk
-Pac-Man (Makes perfect sense as Namco's representative)
-Mii
-Chrom

And something about Rhythm Heaven.

Greninja threw a wrench into any 'leaks', really. He's striking and iconic enough that he would've come up in real leaks, yet so specifically unexpected that nobody actually would have said it.

'A Pokemon from X and Y' was a guess a child could have made, but specifically deciding on Greninja? Not so easy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Naerasa posted:

So is Ness coming back, or what? He's like one of the only original SSB characters that hasn't shown up in a reveal yet. And, I guess, Captain Falcon?

And Jigglypuff. Luigi's the only one of the original four unlocks that's been revealed yet.

I feel like they're definitely coming back, because they're basically integral to the series. It's just not Smash Bros without Ness and Captain Falcon.

EDIT: At this point Ness is probably more of a Smash icon than a Mother icon. I'd actually kind of like to see them embrace that; work with Itoi and redesign Ness to both represent Earthbound and Smash itself.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

-Fish- posted:

The thing that annoys you most about Zero Suit Samus is that she's wearing her Zero Suit? It's not Military Casual Samus.

Yeah, 'Zero Suit' is what that suit is actually called, it has an in-universe explanation (it's the bodysuit she wears under her power armor, presumably to better interface with it) and given that it's appeared in far more games than just The Travesty it deserves to be in more.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ignite Memories posted:

That's because they've been utterly half assing megaman games for the last fifteen years, and they've scared away the people that liked them.

It's also in part that Megaman does have a place in the market, Capcom jut can't quite wrap their head around what it is. It seems like the idea of small games eludes them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lessail posted:

The jet boots could've been a neat idea but I hate that neon yellow light they have. Did using the purple that's on her back not test well or what?

Eh, I think it works, it emphasizes that they're a separate part. The Zero Suit doesn't have built-in jet heels, they're a separate component that Samus has strapped on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

It seems to be the only good series that Nintendo is willing to let die.

If you think about it, though? They didn't. In 1996, APE, the company that made Mother 1 and 2, was reformatted into Creatures, Inc. and helped develop a small RPG for the Game Boy with a similar aesthetic and tone.

You might've heard of it. The original installment was pretty buggy, but popular enough that it got a few sequels and spinoffs, and is still around today.

EDIT: I like to imagine this is why, in the Subspace Emissary, Lucas gets paired up with the Pokemon Trainer.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 10, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Personally, I think Mother is exactly as big as it should be. It's a very eccentric game, that might not be mechanically compelling but makes up for it by having a lot of personality. It's also very humble; it just wouldn't feel right if it was a massive hit.

Mother is a game with a small but very fond following, and it shouldn't be anything more. If you want to credit it with more, then like I said last page: if it weren't for Mother, Pokemon never would have existed. It might not be direct praise, but that's pretty big.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So there's a Tomodachi Collection level in the 3DS version of the game, something I assumed would just be a weird thing US and EU audiences would get to mess with but wouldn't know anything about(like Marth and Roy in Melee), except apparently Tomodachi Collection is being localized, as Tomodachi Life.

And the Nintendo Direct they just released for it is really weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmx4kC0tiU

I wonder if the inclusion of it as a Smash Bros stage influenced the decision to localize it, or vice-versa?

This is the single most Japanese thing I've ever seen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
With the talk of Fire emblem stages and characters as stage hazards, I realized what I really want as a stage for Fire Emblem:

The forces of Elibe and Tellius locked in combat, from one of the Awakening DLCs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I personally expect the WiiU to have appealing stuff eventually, but with consoles I like to go by a 'three points' system. If three particularly striking games come up to warrant me buying that console (with some deviations from '1 game = 1 point' in some cases), I will strongly consider it.

I have a 3DS because of A Link Between Worlds, and a new Pokemon generation counts for two because I get a lot of mileage out of them. Even if there wasn't a new Pokemon generation, it would hit three because of Smash, and Fire Emblem Awakening (which I still haven't picked up, but will eventually).

The WiiU's got some good games, but I'm still struggling to find a full set of three I'd definitely want. Tropical Freeze is one, and Smash will count for either half or full, depending on what kind of extra modes it has to compete with Smash Run. There's a few games like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Mariokart 8 that I'd consider once I have it, but aren't quite enough for me to count as a selling point.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 11, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Echo Chamber posted:

I want the Saffron City stage from the N64 game to return. I just like the platforms and atmosphere of that map. I don't care if they cut the Pokémon hazard.

Actually I wouldn't mind the N64 Peach's Castle and Hyryle Castle returning too. Also Subcon from Melee, just because I like the unaltered SMB2 music.

I feel like the successor to Saffron City was Fourside, which had a similar structure and feel. I liked Fourside better, honestly.

I want to see a 64-era stage return, though, and it'd have to be one of those three stages you mentioned.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Macaluso posted:

So there's no way Jigglypuff is out and I'm still expecting a surprise Mewtwo announcement. I don't envy the Smash team cause they have to control themselves and not just make half the roster Pokemon :v: There's so many to choose from!

That Pokemon fighting game that might be happening is really interesting for that reason, there is a lot of variety to tap into. I hope they do go absolutely loving nuts on that, too, I want Mismagius to fight Magnezone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Have almost the entire roster open from the start, with the exception of Jigglypuff. Who still requires you to beat Classic Mode.

But yeah, I think it'd be good to have the 3DS version with unlockables, and the WiiU version without. It seems like a good setup; the surprise and anticipation is the best part, and it's not gonna be there by the time the WiiU version comes out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gutcruncher posted:

I think I remember ROB being a secret until the Japanese launch. I know I was mighty surprised to see him show up online

Yeah, R.O.B. was the secret best hidden in Brawl. All the other big guys we knew about pre-release through one way or another, but not R.O.B. He was in full roster leaks, but they were so common and full of poo poo that nobody bought it anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

nerdbot posted:

After having to start a new save file on Brawl recently I realized what an incredible slog it was to unlock all the characters. Secret characters feels really integral to Smash as a whole so I wouldn't be upset if it stayed or anything, but as someone who had to start a new Brawl file more than once, I wouldn't be sad to see secret characters as a concept just, go away, either. And I really do think they're just steering away from it, between the fact that they're hyping up new characters more than ever and the fact that we know of so many series-staple secret guys already.

I feel like they're probably planning something around unlockables, I'm just not sure what. They know how iconic the 'CHALLENGER APPROACHING' screen is, there's a reason why they've been using it for new character announcements both here and back on the Dojo, they won't just ditch it.

While my logic is tenuous at best, I think they might be planning a focus on unlockable assist trophies instead. Note how Sakurai said that assist trophies were factoring into All-Star mode, but didn't say how. I'd like to imagine that maybe assist trophies will fight alongside enemies in All-Star mode, so maybe you have to deal with a permanent Waluigi while fighting Wario, or fight your way around Pong while going up against Game and Watch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Make Palutena a playable character, that's only unlockable by fighting someone online who's using Palutena.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think the best way to handle is is make all of the characters super fast unlocks, like being able to unlock the whole cast in 20 minutes. Really simple tasks like "Play a 4 player match" and "Play a match as Mario vs Bowser" because it's the New Challenger Approaching screen that gets people excited and getting another character, no one really gives a poo poo how you do it and in Smash it's always been annoying and tedious to get characters anyway.

Well that defeats the whole point of them being, in some way, an achievement. I'm not saying we should have arduous ones like Mewtwo, Wolf and (non-SSE) R.O.B., because those are just goddamn pains, but I want to feel like I've earned them. I still think Brawl had the right idea; everyone has about three or four different unlock criteria, so if adventure mode's not your thing, or you can't handle Break the Targets, you're not screwed. Only problem there is it does lead to them having to think up three different unlock criteria for every character, and at that volume they're going to come up with unreasonable ones eventually.

I think the best bet is to have a 'Party Mode' option that, for one session, unlocks all the secret characters, but only in regular multiplayer. You want to play them in other modes, use them to unlock other non-character things, or customize their moveset, you have to unlock them legit.

...Or, maybe every character is unlocked from the start, but the classic unlockable system is reserved for everyone's customizable movesets. So Marth isn't an unlockable character, but to use the alternate versions of his moves you need to fulfill certain criteria and then fight a fully customized Marth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

codenameFANGIO posted:

So basically what I'm reading here is that everyone wants to pay to unlock everything right away.

I'm happy to unlock things the hard way, I enjoy unlocking stuff. In fact I don't even want an 'unlock all characters' DLC because that's the skeeviest possible kind of DLC.

I like how they seem to be approaching it for Smash, where they aren't considering DLC before release, but they might consider it afterwards. That means we'll get a complete roster that everyone's (theoretically) happy with, but we get to pay extra to get some fancy, enjoyable bonuses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TTBF posted:

When I was a kid I never unlocked Ness on the n64 version simply because no one could meet the requirements for unlocking him. I actually got a lot of people together to try, and the most that happened is we were able to get Ness to challenge us a few times, but no one could beat him.

I never had trouble unlocking anything in Melee or Brawl, but man was that a frustrating experience as a kid.

I'm not sure if it was because we were stupid kids, or if Smash 64's unlocks were legitimately harder than the later ones, but Ness and Captain Falcon were tough unlocks.

Excels posted:

It's almost always Ness that I hear about kids losing to.

Ness was the end of a goddamn gauntlet, and doesn't fight anything like anyone else. He just comes out of nowhere and confuses the poo poo out of you after you're already exhausted, it's no wonder kids had trouble with him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

nerdbot posted:

Smash games tend not to cut corners with models short of trophies, which I respect a lot--Brawl and Melee both resulted in the first time some of the original 151 got a new model since Pokemon Stadium.

They reuse assets when viable, it's just not often viable since very few games would have applicable models. According to TCRF, there's a few 'import leftovers' from Brawl that clue you in on it, including the Pokemon lifted from Battle Revolution, pretty much every single Zelda thing except Toon Link (this includes both stages), and of course most trophies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Giygas should be a stage. He practically already is Final Destination.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I am entirely okay with having Porky as a character. He would have the best goddamn taunts.

He's basically Cartman, but with access to people more evil than he is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DrPaper posted:

FD variants are on 3DS.

I like this take on the alternate versions. It's not exactly Final Destination, there's still variance, it's just being used as a standard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Endorph posted:

they use multiple VO guys. The others are even worse.

Can any of them actually pronounce 'Greninja'?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

horriblePencilist posted:

On unlocking characters: It seems most people want unlockable characters because of the excitement that comes with a surprising announcement of a challenger approaching. What if they were still in the game, but they unlock something else? Let's say you're playing with your friends, suddenly a "Challenge approaching!" pops up and you have to fight Samus under special conditions, like under the effect of an item. Once you defeat her, you unlock stuff like a moving diorama similar to the 3DS' Street Plaza puzzles. You'd still have the excitement of a surprise chance to unlock something, but you don't lose any of the characters.

I suggested having the 'Challenger Approaching' stuff be how you unlock the custom moves. So beating Target Test with everyone doesn't have you fight Lucario to unlock him, it has you fight a fully customized Lucario, and then you unlock all of the custom Lucario moves.

Everybody wins: We get the entire roster at the start, and we get A LOT of 'Challenger Approaching's.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Space T Rex posted:

I see why you think this is an "everybody wins" situation, since neither of you are the types who do want the unlockable feature in the first place. But its not about "oh boy I have to work to get stuff". Its about the surprise reveal of new characters. Characters specifically.

Actually, I do want unlockable characters, because I love that feeling of progression. I'd prefer we have the usual secret characters system that we've had for thee games so far and I never once had an issue with (except with Mewtwo, but that's Mewtwo), but I'm trying to figure out an alternative that would have the same sort of feel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TaurusOxford posted:

Clearly you didn't play enough Prime or Echoes. You should fix that.

I still say that Metroid Prime might well be the best video game I've ever played. It does everything it seeks out to do so well, it's so sharp, and god damnit, it's ten years old and it's still pretty.

Echoes and Corruption are good, but their attempts to add new features to perfection just doesn't quite work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I find it hilarious that everyone was saying "Greninja is super popular in Japan" and reading "Yeah Greninja must be loved by foreigners"

I love Greninja's presence, because he isn't a mascot or a publicity driver. He hasn't even appeared in the anime yet, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in any X/Y pre-release material.

Instead, he's become the lead in Gen 6 because he's legitimately very well-received. He's not adored by a very specific group like Pikachu or Lucario, but he's got a lot of good points, both visually and mechanically, that mean that he's considered highly by every subset of the playerbase.

I don't think he was anyone's first choice for a Gen 6 Pokemon in Smash. But he was definitely in everyone's top five.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lemming posted:

I would be sort of surprised if Lucas was cut, just because I don't know who they'd replace him with, and I doubt they'd want to cut the amount of characters in a franchise from 2 to 1. I would be happy if he was less of a clone, though.

Went over this a few pages ago: Porky.

He does, after all, mean business.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kooriken posted:

It really is telling of the Space Pirates that one of Ridley's defining traits is that he's actually intelligent.

And even he's Ridley, it's not like he demonstrates a tremendous amount of intelligence.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bloodly posted:

Wasn't there an achievement in Rome2 that worked so? You could only get it if you fought someone in multiplayer who had it. Only the devs had it at first. I don't think many people got it.

I know that XCOM: Enemy Unknown has it, the Bubonic achievement. 7.8% of the Steam playerbase has it, which is more than the amount of people that have completed every single research project in a single-player game. The achievement for winning a single multiplayer match is at 9%, so Bubonic's pretty rampant among the multiplayer community.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

horriblePencilist posted:

Link's tether looks HUGE.

I think that's fairly close to the hook/clawshot's range in Zelda games, actually. If not, then it's still shorter.

It just looks WAY longer in Smash.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Charles Martinet (the guy who does Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi's voices) maintains that they're just some dudes who found common interest in being evil and weird and now they just sort of hang out and do that.

I believe it was him that suggested the idea of a 'Wario & Waluigi' RPG where they just go around the land being assholes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm Australian,so things are topsy-turvy. Pizza Hut is usually better than Domino's, but not always, yet both of them are better than the local pizza place.

The local pizza place's offerings are flat and overcooked, and I realized this year that they're the reason I didn't like pizza as a kid: I thought all pizza was lovely, flat burnt bread with burnt meat on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
gently caress the Smash/Punch-Out skins, this thing clearly needs a K. Rool skin.

• Locked thread