Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

I may have shed a tear at this. This is the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life, I don't even have to play the game now, I can die now.

Also, I love each of the troll moments in the Direct, they all got me pretty good. At least the ones that I caught when I wasn't freaking out in the IRC chat. What was there besides "Zero Suit Samus is now gone please understand NOPE JUST KIDDING" and "Trophy is totally Palutena, righNOPE IT'S PSEUDO-PALUTENA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I just noticed:

Jackass ledges on Final Destination confirmed for Smash4 :(

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

greatn posted:

Yeah I'd have to think Final Destination hugely favors Mac because with no platforms he has no reason to ever jump, his one weakness.

Little mac confirmed for god tier

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
When sakurai first mentioned transferring between the two versions, we all thought he meant costumes or Mii designs or some poo poo. I don't think anyone actually thought he'd allow us access to characters' movesets.

This is the sort of thing he meant, we'll be able to poke around with our favorite character's moves and then upload those to the Wii U version when it comes it and start impressing all your friends by how much better you made Marth or Link or Samus.

God and I thought I couldn't want this game more than Brawl.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Endorph posted:

He never said the move customization thing would be a transfer thing, though?

Well no, he didn't, and I'm guilty of putting words in his mouth as anyone else, but I do remember him saying the 3ds-WiiU cross functionality would be some kind of character customization, what else could he be referring to?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
can the next thread be named "shut the gently caress up about waluigi," tia*

So the mons we have currently revealed are Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and Jigglypuff brings us to five. What do you think the odds are that Mewtwo makes six, six being the "magic number" that was the amount of playable mons in Brawl? Or is it more likely they'll try to tone 'mon representation down a little?

*could probably equally apply to mewtwo and ridley but oh well

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Endorph posted:

Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise they have. They'd probably make the entire game pokemon if they thought they could get away with it.

Which reminds me, Nintendo seriously needs to contract out some kind of Pokemon fighting game. If it was incredibly in-depth and competitive like...I don't know, Injustice or Street Fighter, it'd make a nice counterpart to Smash Bros. even if Sakurai's tailoring more to the competitive crowd this time around.

TaurusOxford posted:

Charizard is in because it's motherfucking Charizard. Also, Mega Charizard X is the coolest Mega Evolution in X/Y and even got promoted in Pokemon: The Origin OVA.

I thought I read somewhere that Pokemon Origins was actually where Mega Charizard X was revealed, is that true?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Endorph posted:

If Nintendo was going to make a competitive fighter, I doubt they'd choose to associate with Pokemon, of all things.

I don't know, as-is Pokemon is one of the most competitive franchises Nintendo has. Especially with all the features tailored to competitive trainers in X and Y, I don't think it's that unlikely.

Granted there are other Nintendo franchises that would probably suit that type of fighter better.

fire emblem

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Lemming posted:

Master Hand mode

...Oh my god, a 5-player mode where the tablet player is Master Hand? This is the best idea, and now I'm sad that Nintendo won't do it. :( It'd provide a neat explanation for who Master Hand is (it was you all along!) to boot, though I don't think that was ever in question.

I'm about to rewatch the Direct to find a bunch of stupid little details no one cares about. I am way too excited for this.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
The only use I know for that thing is that when it shows up in a Tales game, it lets you switch the onscreen party member. So obviously this is the item version of Manaphy from Brawl and you'll momentarily switch to one of the other characters in the match.

...poo poo, I actually kinda like that idea. Surely it won't be that though. What does it do in other namco games?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
The Arena Ferox stage transforms like Pokemon Stadium. I don't know why, but that seems to be what they're going with, it's in the Direct.

It could be Basilio and Flavia pulling the switches to change them, but I doubt they'll actually show up.

I actually wonder what the console Fire Emblem stage will be, since we haven't seen any sign of it. It'd be kind of lame if it was just Castle Siege again.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I'd actually be okay with Adam being playable because hey, there's your Metroid villain right there.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
do they get paid for that poo poo? Because man I will contract my voice out to those guys and I will do it for free if it means they can replace those guys.

...But in all seriousness, I do like the look of Palutena's temple and how it seems like a more organized version of Hyrule Temple, in a way. I mean, everyone justifiably harps on NPC because it's a bunch of floating platforms in front of shiny scenery, but Hyrule Temple was basically just a big misshapen lump. Palutena's temple looks like an actual location.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
If Isaac was rockin' his beard and his six-foot-seven-ness I would totally be down for having him, even over his son who has the advantage of having my name and being in the most recent one and pretty much no other advantage.

The only way I could see Isaac happening at all, though, is if he factors enough into the next one, which given the current pattern of release is still probably another five or six years out.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Super Smash Bros.: Don't eat him. You can't eat him.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
So no word on which Best Buys, I'm guessing? I live in NYC, and I seem to remember the Best Buy on 5th Ave. was one of the ones used last time but I happened to be at school at the time.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I want nothing to do with a world where such an announcement would not cause a veritable storm of Wii U sales. :colbert:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
The customized movesets seems like the most obvious thing, since Skylanders figures have little chips in them that store the character's stats and levels and stuff.

Think about it, kid custom-tailors Link's moveset at his home, downloads it to his super-cool Link figurine, brings Link figurine over to friend's house, they bash their Link and Sonic figurines against each other for a bit before sitting down and plopping their figurines on the gamepad* and bam, now they can use their custom movesets against each other. That's exactly the thing Skylanders does, except Skylanders doesn't let you play as the character if you don't have the figurine, and I highly doubt Nintendo would follow suit.

*I may be mistaken on this, but I could have sworn the Gamepad has NFC communication. If it does and they do it right, you probably won't even have to buy a "portal of power" or some poo poo.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
<--- this avatar approves of Sakurai's decision to not cut "obvious chopping block characters" for whatever strange Sakurai logic.

Double approve of updating his look to Radiant Dawn beefy mcbeefster, because even though I like ranger Ike better swole RD Ike looks a lot more natural swinging around Ragnell one-handed.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Water-Raccoon posted:

Well that shook things up. Huh. I had a particular image I thought looked fairly good but yeah it's dead now. So with Ike's return, a new FE rep's probably coming soon on his heels(both current FE representatives were revealed in fairly lackluster 'fanfare') with a trailer to boot.

I actually remember reading speculation of this sort: the reasoning behind certain characters' reveals is so it's not a surprise when they appear in a New Challenger Approaching trailer to hype it up before the actual reveal (e.g., Mario, Luigi, Peach in Rosalina's trailer, Lucario for Greninja/Charizard's trailer). If Chrom or Robin or Lucina are in, their trailer is probably going to have Marth and Ike duking it out in Arena Ferox before the newcomer arrives and blows the both of them up or something.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
gotta agree, Bandanna Dee would be badass.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Suspicious Cook posted:

Worse than that, she literally turns into a crying child in the cutscene.

Other M is repugnant garbage.

Wait what? Jesus christ I don't even remember that. Maybe that's why the Ridley PTSD scene never bothered me - I blocked that part from my memory.

Also regarding those totes real roster shots, I cannot conceive of any situation where, even if someone was trying to be sneaky, could not get a shot of the rest of the TV instead of a super close-up fuzzy piece of crap.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Kirby being labeled "Jiglypof" and vice versa is what killed me. Write that on my epitaph.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
15 minutes away from me just over the neighborhood border, boom. How early do you guys reckon one should arrive at these events? An hour? ... Three hours? I would totally do three hours.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yup.

I know that makes me part of some problem, but eh, been waiting for this game for years and getting to play it months in advance would be cool.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Ike made it back in. Lucario made it back. loving Toon Link made it back.

Ness has nothing to worry about.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Eh, Wind Waker HD probably saved him, but before then they hadn't really used him for several years and it was thought by some that he would be sort of retired for "classic" or ALBW Link. Plus he was already there in the background on the Spirit Tracks stage and nobody expected Alfonso.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, when they said "Smash-branded Gamecube-like controllers" I didn't expect it to literally just be reissuing Gamecube controllers.

Which I'm totally on board with 'cause that thing loving rules.

They're doing 4-player FFAs with items on for the official tournament? That is hilarious, expected but hilarious. Hopefully the players will be good sports about it. Mew2King doesn't seem to be there so I assume it won't be too bad.

Frocobo posted:

While this is a pleasant surprise, why does it need BOTH USB ports?

That is a little concerning, but then again, are you using either of those ports for anything? The only thing I can think of that could use them is Pro Controller charging cables and clearly with this thing you aren't going to be using those.

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 29, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
fuuuuck, it's gonna be so crowded there isn't it.

i am so dragging my sister to this and we will be part of the mob.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

DrPaper posted:

Yeah seriously, we haven't seen any Kirby stages beyond Halberd returning.

Aside from past stages, wasn't Halberd also the only Kirby stage in Brawl? Kinda weird. Then again I suppose you can only remake Green Greens so many times.

Still though, Dedede's boxing ring or bust.

Also, it really seems like Sakurai's getting all the relevant Fire Emblem stuff out there before Chrom(it's going to be Chrom, don't pretend it isn't, Sakurai didn't have a problem with three space animals so I doubt he'd have a problem with three blue-hair anime swordsmen)'s trailer.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
So are we going to have another goku announcement party on IRC like the direct, because that was a lot of fun.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Oh my god, i'm loving the splat.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I remember someone said they were going to Nintendo World in NYC to watch the presentation? How crowded was it there? My sister and I are going tomorrow and hoping the line to play won't be hours long.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
God drat these people are so happy.

And there's a "My Body is Ready" sign.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Oh my god he's actually smiling and doesn't look like he wants to shoot himself with a Mountain Dew gun

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
SURPRISE

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yes, he's still alive!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
No Samus or Donkey Kong :(

Samus is most powerful?!?!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I love the Little Mac with Hulk gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Megasabin posted:

What did he say that upset people for a second?

I think it was that no one chose Samus in the draft.

AND HERE ARE OUR CONTESTANTS FOR TONIGHT

• Locked thread