Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

greatn posted:

Honestly if they add some skins, you could just flat out add the custom movesets you want to Fox and make him whoever you want. I bet you can give Mario back his tornado down b if you want, or maybe the pills if you want.

I really doubt that.

What they showed off only changed the properties of moves (Mario's fireball is bigger and slower or smaller and faster, DK's headslam gets superarmor and is slower) There's nothing yet to suggest it'll do more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

It's just the Other M Samus model. I guess blame Sakurai for using it, but they didn't design it for sure, and they like to use the newest design available.

Except for Link and Zelda :argh:

Skyward Sword designs were rad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Yes, because there's also a 3DS version and plenty of people have friends there, including Goons perfectly willing to share their friend codes with you.

Goons also have Wii U's.

... I like my Wii U okay.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

But you can stream 3DS online with a capture card though?

Its expensive and really rare as of yet.

Capturing a Wii U's output is pretty trivial in comparison.

Not to mention streaming a 3DS match from a single 3DS means the focus is always on one character. Which can be jarring and annoying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

can the next thread be named "shut the gently caress up about waluigi," tia*

So the mons we have currently revealed are Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and Jigglypuff brings us to five. What do you think the odds are that Mewtwo makes six, six being the "magic number" that was the amount of playable mons in Brawl? Or is it more likely they'll try to tone 'mon representation down a little?

[sub]*could probably equally apply to mewtwo and ridley but oh well

I figure its probably either Mewtwo or Sceptile/Meganium/Serperior to round out the Fire/Water/Grass trinity and give us a rep from another generation.

I would kill for Torterra or another huge gently caress-off quadruped though. That could be super fun in smash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just don't know what fighting moves you give to a character that usually does not have arms or legs in the majority of his resume.

Pacman has had arms and legs in his official art since the original arcade game. Its kind of ridiculous at this point.

Plus he's starred in more 3D games than 2D and has starred in multiple cartoons with limbs including one currently airing.

This argument is so dumb. Pacman has limbs and has for 34 years at this point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Yes, because Captain Falcon had such a fleshed out personality before Smash 64.

Does Yoshi have a personality even now? Do the various Pokemon? ROB? Mr. Game and Watch? Ice Climbers?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

It still blows my mind how good the sprite works is in the 2D FE games. Animation smears go such a long way to making stuff smooth. Moreso than Lyn I'd love to see Hector. There's already plenty of sword fighters, why not an axe brawler?

Because the game came out 11 years ago, they were in one game, and there have been 6 more since then. Including the most recent which was the most popular entry of the series and literally saved it from cancellation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Excels posted:

Nintendo are not known for half-assing their copy protection since the DS/Wii hacking turned out to be so easy.

When the 3DS came out many people said it seemed unhackable. So much for that I guess

Its still pretty rough to hack it, as the only hack I know about relies on a firmware that's more than a year out of date and has a nasty habit of bricking the system.

Which is a far cry from the ease of hacking the DS and Wii.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Man, I thought that would be funnier. Or at least committed to the character.

Wario sold out :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Look, I'm just saying that between the two of them, only one of them had to be awkwardly censored in the DLC and it sure wasn't Henry. :v:

The censor was over a bikini bottom.

Which is arguably more conservative than her official art.

The awkward censoring made that scene way more suggestive than the original.

I still don't get why they only chose to censor Tharja's anyways when these are the originals.

And Cordelia's is way worse. Also I forgot how awkward Chrom looks in his boxers. If he's in, that needs to be an alternate costume complete with the pained face.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 6, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Lets all agree that we need beach party costumes DLC for smash.

I would pay good money to get ROB wearing a swimsuit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
It could also be stages or items too.

"Plug in the triforce for Hyrule temple and a chance for the 'bombchu' item to spawn in your matches of Smash 4 WiiU!"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

I guess its a joke about how he's pretty much the only Fire Emblem protagonist without a love interest?

I think someone is forgetting Soren.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Who the gently caress uses buttons to jump and the c-stick to smash?

Up to jump is the loving best and people who don't use it are lazy whiners who can't figure out how to time tilt attacks. :colbert:

Also it literally doesn't loving matter since Smash has remappable controls. Goddamn, even Waluigi chat was less stupid

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Now that we have Namco/Sega/Capcom reps, are there any classic companies that could make a good appearance other than Konami?

Also, we may not have official Wonderful 101 in Smash, but Wonder Red, Blue, and Green miis are definitely going into my roster.

You could make an argument for a Black Mage from Final Fantasy. They're iconic and would have a pretty cool playstyle. Plus the games are still huge, older than Sonic and having a rep that's a generic representation of the series as a whole gets to avoid a ton of stupid bullshit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Project M changed a fuckload of stuff for no real reason. And I'm not a big fan of the physics changes then introduced (because I like floatiness).

They put a lot of work into it, but it doesn't really feel like a Smash game. And taking away poo poo like Wario's bike is inexcusable considering the boring bullshit they replace it with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

fadam posted:

How does it not feel like a Smash game?

Probably because they stripped the whimsy and soul out of half the stages. And half the characters by removing things that made them feel different and homogenizing a lot of them back to how they were in melee.

Smash, for me, is fun and whimsical and really weird. Taking out so much of the weird stuff just makes it feel ugh.

Like I don't care that people think its a better tournament game or whatever, more power to them, but I can assure you that I personally vastly prefer Brawl to it. And it is most definitely not a definitive version of Smash bros for everyone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

fadam posted:

That's fair. But if your primary exposuire to Smash is playing it in tournaments, or at least in a competitive setting, it definitely feels like a Smash game.

What character changes do you dislike the most?

I don't like the Pokemon trainer being split into three different characters (a problem I also have with 4WiiU and 3DS). The changes to the Ice Climbers make them feel really weird, and I dislike that they can't freeze people any more. Ike is a lot less powerful and doesn't feel anywhere near as satisfying as his Brawl version where I had a lot of fun playing as him. Also they changed a bunch of his poo poo to mirror Roy... and then put Roy back in the game. I don't know why there's this obsession with making characters more alike when they weren't in the base game. Clones suck.

I will admit that I do like the changes it makes to Pikachu and Ivysaur though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 8, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hahahhaha, holy poo poo.

Smash 4 is going to be amazing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Kirby is the main franchise I expect to get another character now that Fire Emblem has four characters as well.

Then again Sakurai has said in the past that he doesn't want to over-represent his own series so maybe he'll hold back on that. :ohdear:

Remember too that Fire Emblem had two reps in melee when Kirby was still rolling solo.

I couls see it go either way. Though we already have the most iconic akirby characters except for.... Prince Fluff or a waddle dee? Who else is there really?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
People are getting really weird itt about this trailer.

A single trailer which showed two new characters that haven't been predicted by any leak, and confirmed Captain 'motherfuckin' Falcon's return, is bad.

gently caress it, if I was Sakurai I'd basically refuse to release the game out of spite if this was the reaction I got.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

That title never made sense anyway since Ike never uses fire in either game. If anything, he'd be more like wind because of the shockwaves the Ragnel uses.

Well, the Fire Emblem of those games (and the chaos goddess it holds) is pretty heavy on the blue fire. And when Ike kills the order goddess he does it with his sword wreathed in blue flame as the champion of said chaos goddess.

I'm not really sure how much more blue fire he needs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to use Meta Knight instead of Captain Falcon to introduce a veteran in a Fire Emblem themed update?

Unless they're saving him for another update. If Fire Emblem can have 4 characters, so can Kirby.

My dream of Bandana Waddle Dee isn't dead.

Bandana Waddle Dee's name is too big for smash.

Please understand.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh apparently you can still use your Mii online if you play With Friends but you can't do it With Anyone. That's really odd since you can use your Mii in public races in Mario Kart 8.

I'm guessing its because trying to balance customizeable movesets in a fighting game is more difficult than Kart combinations?

I dunno, the split is going to be weird as gently caress. And its going to spawn the stupidest loving casual/hardcore discussions.

"Captain Falcon's third side-b slot makes him amazing!'
"Only dumb casual babies play with alternate movesets!"
"Only rear end in a top hat tryhards don't play with fun characters and moves!"

etc. Forever and ever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
SS Zelda or bust.

That was easily her best design ever. And she wasn't royalty or anything!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Excels posted:

At least you'll get that one in Hyrule Warriors?

Not really? The one they've shown in Hyrule Warriors doesn't look anything like the one from Sacred Sword. Hyrule Warriors Zelda is basically Twilight Princess Zelda as a blonde.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah, he went through all four ranks of thunder magic in FE13, from weakest to strongest.

Yeah, what it looked like to me was that he cycled through the elements shooting one of each level of magic.

That could have some interesting implications, especially since attacks that came out one after another looked like they had wildly different properties.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
To be fair, there are some recurring (and memorable one off) Zelda characters that could be cool.

Groose, Ghiriham, Ravio, Hilda, Vaati, Ganon, Impa or Tingle are all iconic/ in recent enough releases that they could slot in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Impa has the best chance, since she's been with the series for a very long time and Skyward Sword had a very SSB-suitable incarnation of the character.

I would agree, but she's very similar to Shiek in design.

... Unless we go with her old lady form. Clock-based attacks, stabbing her pointy hat into people...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Fusion suit Samus should be the real newcomer.

That suit was great. And adding another Samus would be hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I still think Toad should be playable. He has been in most of the recent Mario platformers, is iconic as hell and is just in general a rad mushroom dude.

RIP as Peach's weird counter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

robot roll call posted:

What would set Shulk apart from the other sword animes? Legit question, I've never played Xenogears.

He has a fuckoff lazer sword with magic powers. It lets him go super fast, see the future and do other cool poo poo.

Plus he's a speedy backstabby guy in his own game which contrasts pretty heavily with most of the other sword dudes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Am I the only one confused by the demand for Chom? Isn't Xenoblade Chronicles X going to have different characters? Why are they not using someone from that game to promote it more?

Not only is it not even close to coming out, the main character is a silent 'design your own' protagonist.

Also Shulk is pretty cool (Chrom is Robin's final Smash).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So wait, we lost Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Lucas from Brawl. Got back Doctor Mario and Mewtwo from Melee.

Any word on ROB? I really liked his laser eyes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Excels posted:

nobody seems to have gotten new final smashes off the top of my head, in some cases it really is strange (olimar's is still End of Day even though the rocket is now an item that does pretty much the same thing).

luigi's new FS is well-deserved though. we know you love the JoJo, Sakurai, but it just didn't make any sense.

Luigi, Lucario, ZSS, Charizard and Kirby definitely have new final Smashes at the very least.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Excels posted:

all these cut characters are still in project:m which is always being updated with new content and makes everyone tournament viable.

what's the rule? they can't add any returning or newcoming characters if they weren't in brawl right?

I've already seen a really good Greninja mod for Sheik though

no one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

The Fusion suit is okay until you get the Varia version. Instead of just orange and yellow, the sprite has all these green and purple and blue pixels shoved onto it and it looks like someone threw up all over her.

The unnamed final suit from Fusion is pretty cool. Samus goes back to the traditional Orange/Yellow but keeps the streamlined fusion aesthetic.

Honestly, having that be the design for the Other M suit and setting it after Fusion would have made a lot of sense with the gameplay they went with. Fusion Samus got chunks of her power armor just ripped off and just looks faster and more agile.

• Locked thread