Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

I missed the direct thing and I've only just seen the website.

Why Greninja in particular?

Because it is probably the most popular new Pokemon from the most recent Pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

Like all of Brawl's options for ridiculous gimmick battles?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

I wonder how far the custom character creation aspect will go. Can I give all characters unlimited jumps and play on a custom stage with no floor or solid objects?

It looks like you can only tweak properties of specials.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurai changed the heels because they're a symbol for everything that was stupid in Other M, but he left them in so that his colleague who directed Other M could save face for being responsible for something so stupid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega Charizard Y doesn't look different enough.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shut up about Ridley.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Well, that sounds pointless. What makes it any different from any other small mammal pokemon if it just tackles into people?

It's popular.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope they nerfed the Zapper. And made it so that the Dragoon parts spawning don't prevent other items from spawning as well, because in Brawl it seemed like if the Dragoon was enabled at all, every match turned into a fight over Dragoon parts, which got old pretty quick.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

Why are the English release titles not "Super Smash Brothers 4 WiiU & 3DS"? Is Nintendo just dumb?

They're politely allowing us to get the joke unassisted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Excels posted:

i never played xenoblade, is it yet another attempt at telling the tortured xenogears story, the way xenosaga was and failed to be because they needed a budget ten times bigger than what they had?

There's no narrative relation whatsoever between Xenogears/Xenosaga and Xenoblade.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only one that really makes sense there would be Dillon's Rolling Western. I would love to see a Pushmo or Crashmo stage, though. Steel Diver is already included as an item. I can't recall if we know there's anything in from Rhythm Heaven, and it's probably a bit late for Rusty's Real Deal Baseball. What am I forgetting?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What? Marth has a longsword. A falchion looks totally different.

It's a longsword named Falchion.

Unless that's the joke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I noticed that Snake Eater (Instrumental) was in the soundtrack, I made a level made entirely of ladders that used it, and then tried to find a way to make it good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Adult Isaac wasn't playable, so....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We saw a video of the Fire Bar in the Nintendo Direct. It doesn't launch the fireballs (or at least, it didn't in the video), and each hit removes one of them, but it looks like at full length it's got a slightly longer range than the Beam Sword. Maybe it does more damage but less knockback, maybe the hilt is a powerful projectile! Who knows.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Several people in the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread didn't notice that you could recruit Kellam on the mission where he first appears. It's a joke that keeps on giving.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Excels posted:

I've been playing Ocarina 3D and I'm seriously curious how the 3D works. It's like magic.

It's a lenticular display, which means it achieves a stereoscopic effect through mechanical means. Specifically, the display has a barrier of pixel-wide stripes, alternately transparent and opaque, positioned in front of it, at just the right distance so that if you're in the sweet spot, the opaque stripes block all the even columns from your right eye and all the odd columns from your left eye.

The barrier is not perfectly opaque, which is why in some games you get crosstalk; this is especially noticeable in OoT3D when you've got something bright right next to something black. Additionally, when you're not in the sweet spot, at least one of your eyes can see at least some of the pixels it's not supposed to. The barrier is fully transparent when the stereoscopy is disabled, but when it's turned on, it's always the same regardless of the setting of the depth slider, which actually causes the game to change its own rendering (usually by moving the virtual cameras closer or farther from each other, so there's more or less difference between the even and odd images).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Magnatux posted:

Just use all four.

At the same time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Man, I hate the Dragoon. Or, specifically, I hate how once one piece spawns the entire rest of the match turns into a fight over the pieces. I have items on because I don't want every match to be the same!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

Turn all items on, then turn the Dragoon off.

Yeah, this is what I do. I wish it were good, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no conventional subtitle, but there is a pun, which is better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game is still in development.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Toon Link needs lobster jammies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The whole thing being in pantomime was the best part about it. Not that that's a particularly high bar to clear.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The plot of Subspace Emissary was planned by the same person as Final Fantasy VII, which had a proportionate amount of important obscurities.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brawl spent a lot of money on cutscenes for Subspace Emissary. Reportedly, for SSB4, Sakurai realized this was a bad use of funds, so instead the cutscene budget is mostly going into the promotional character reveal videos.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurai performs the voice of Dedede.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it were necessary to make transforming characters work on 3DS, they would solve the technical challenges and make transforming characters work on 3DS. It's not that weak a system.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

What happens to me if I don't know who Reggie is? Do I have to leave?

Reggie Fils-Aime is the president of Nintendo of America. Since 2004 he has attained memetic popularity on the basis of stage presence, general Nintendo goofiness, and faux-modest 21st century corporate figurehead marketing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where is a recording of that match (and, probably, also that interview)?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Also, Wii Fit sold over 20 million copies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

There seems to be an unusual amount of stages with walk-off sides, this time around. I find those a bit annoying.

The changes to the way ledges work make this a good opportunity to reevaluate your prior judgments.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

High-level play is fun in its own way (a way I'll never reach), but I'm hoping that Smash 4 is balanced in such a way that it encourages even competitive players to throw a Falcon Punch every once in a while.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only way to completely forestall some kind of degenerate clock-exhausting strategy is to play without a time limit, but that's less practical for organized play.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing I noticed in the tournament is that on two separate occasions the guy that picked Mega Man jumped down onto a ledge when somebody was about to recover, but then got back up on the platform once he remembered that ledge mechanics are different now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Excels posted:

The very first comment on that video is "That ZSS played like a scrub" so I don't get how I'm using the wrong term here. Isn't "scrub" just a term for someone who plays like a coward?

"Scrub" is a term for someone who thinks that cowardice even exists in a competitive context, or that cowardice is worse than losing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Excels posted:

What's the point of winning if no one respects you for it?

Sportsmanship is important, but in the context of that essay or the culture it describes, it's less a matter of actually avoiding scummy behavior and more a matter of being loving terrible at the game and blaming all of your losses on some made-up code of honor.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Running out the clock is a potential problem in any game that has a clock. The fact that it only happened for 30 seconds of an 8-minute match is a pretty good sign, especially given that it was a match between Zero Suit Samus, who's extremely evasive, and Kirby, who has difficulty closing with the enemy. It was compounded by the fact that the game is so new that the good ways to deal with that kind of zoning haven't been found yet, so given that it was very skillful play all around.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 11, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I could tell we were in for some fun when the gooniest-looking player picked Zero Suit Samus, and that was before he put the scarf on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wanted the more charismatic player to win too, but I don't think anybody but the fattest and most bearded self-parodying grognards are going to look at this tournament and become less interested in the game solely because things got a bit stale in the last 30 seconds.

• Locked thread