Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

It's Zero Suit Samus using her down+b. It has a cool afterimage effect now for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Whoa Ike showing up caught me completely off guard. Like most people, when I first heard there were going to be cuts my mind instantly went to Ike as one of the more obvious choices. Glad to have him back, and I really hope he still fights for his friends.

Hikarusa posted:

I feel like, if there would be an Awakening rep other than the main three (Avatar/Chrom/Lucina), there's actually an incredibly good choice: Anna. Literally the series' mascot, who is playable in Awakening. I feel like she would actually fit really well given that it's basically a mascot fighting game.

Hell yeah, I've been pullin' for Anna since I first played Awakening. She'd make perfect sense and has a lot of potential as a fun character if they base her off of the Trickster class that she starts off with Awakening. That said I still feel like Chrom or Lucina or possibly Robin has a better chance. Would love to be wrong though!

Anyway, now that Ike has been shown, I'm honestly really unsure if we're getting any cuts outside of the Pokemon Trainer and Snake. Before, I was positive that Lucas, Wolf or Falco, R.O.B., Ike, and maybe someone else were all getting cut for sure, but this changes everything. I was already excited for what they were going to show at E3, but somehow I'm even more pumped.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I agree, especially after playing with him in Project M, where he quickly became one of my favorite characters. People always talk about how Ganondorf doesn't make any sense as a Captain Falcon clone in Smash Bros, but in my opinion the problem is the other way around. Ganondorf should stop being an orb tossing sword fighter in the Zelda games and instead embrace his true power as Muscle Wizard Supreme. Also Wizard's Foot is an amazing name for an attack.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ZSS's moveset doesn't take any inspiration from Bayonetta because, outside of gaining jet effects, none of her moves have been shown to be any different from Brawl, with the exception of her up B now being a jet kick. The reason she has jet boots is because they look cool as hell and they provide a reason for Samus to be fighting without her suit. That's all.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Lucario was never in any danger of being cut because of how prominent it is in the marketing for Pokemon. It had a movie centered around it and was almost a pseudo-legendary pokemon in the game it first appeared in due to how scarce it was. It's also one of the few pokemon to receive a mega evolution in the most recent games, and you are forced to use one at one point during the story. And it's just a really popular pokemon in general.

They tried to do a similar marketing strategy with another pokemon, Zoroark, back when gen 5 was brand new. It had a movie focused on it and was hard to obtain in the games, but it didn't succeed at all and the spotlight quickly went back to Lucario. If it had succeeded we would probably be seeing it here instead, but as is it's unlikely to make any appearance other than as a pokeball pokemon.

I think the only reason people thought Toon Link wasn't going to appear was because of how he was seen in the background of the Spirit Tracks stage in the first E3 trailer.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Little Mac would also probably be a pretty safe bet if he's as powerful as they've made him out to be. A character like him with lots of super armor and strong smash attacks would be really good in 4 player free for alls, especially when everyone is new to the game. Maybe in the long run he'll turn out to be bad, but at least in the early game he'll likely be a big threat. Just try to stay in the center of the stage and throw out smash attacks and the occasional KO punch and you'd be gold short of a bob-omb spawning on top of you.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I just meant that because of how the tournament is set up, if a player got a bad draw and was forced to use a character they didn't know then a heavy hitting character with super armor is probably the best option to go with, compared to someone like Villager or Rosalina, who could be difficult to pick up on the spot. I do hope they get some time with the game beforehand so that matches end up being more interesting than that, but the pessimist in me is saying they probably won't. All that said, I want the tournament to be a success so that Nintendo can do more of these in the future with the Smash Bros community, so I hope I'm proven wrong.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I like these updates. It's nice to put the spotlight on some of the small details you might not notice during normal gameplay every now and then.

Besides, E3 is next week so it's not like we aren't getting a ton of info soon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was someone good last time. :colbert:

Hell yeah Shadow's great. I hope he returns as an assist trophy and is allowed to do more than just slow down time.

Speaking as a huge Sonic fan, I'm feeling the same way a lot of you guys are. Solid Snake got a ton of attention in Brawl, even going so far as to include codec calls for every character in the game, which was amazing. This time around Mega Man is getting one of the craziest movesets we've seen in a Smash Bros game, and all of his moves are pulled from his games. In the Direct from April this was made especially evident as he went through and named every single move he has and where they came from. Meanwhile, Sonic so far looks to have the same moves as Brawl (with updated animations for some of them, like his up air), which mostly seem to be completely made up. Plus he still has both the Spin Dash and the Spin Charge, which is just completely unnecessary. Compare this to Project M where they replaced a number of his moves with those from Sonic Battle and some other games, which makes a lot more sense to pull from and fit his character much more. It's weird and to be honest I feel really jealous of the Mega Man fans this time around.

Songwise the return of Live and Learn is all I really want. Beyond that they almost can't go wrong with their song choices. I'm also curious about what the 3DS Sonic stage will be.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I changed my mind, the other song I want is the Options music from Sonic Spinball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh2WTCQZkdg

I actually have this set up as one of the menu music options in Project M and it rules.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So the demo for Smash Bros is only going to be available one day this week, right? Not all week?

Two days, Wednesday and Saturday. You can see more here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/games-promotions/nintendo-smash-fest/pcmcat332400050002.c?id=pcmcat332400050002

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Trust me, the music was the least of Sonic Chronicles' problems.

Chronicles wasn't that good of a game but it's music most definitely was the worst part of it. Besides that it was mostly a mediocre RPG with some occasionally interesting dialogue.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He got to touch the Glorious Golden Hand of Reggie. That alone is worth any 'scrub' tactics in any video game and you nerds know it.

yeah this

The Invitational was a really fun event and it looked like everyone who was invited was having a great time.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584
The dude who won, Zero I think his handle was?, played really smart and I was rooting for him the whole time (mostly because ZSS is my favorite fighter, but he was playing really well too). It was really obvious that they still needed time to learn the game before they could do any really cool poo poo, especially the Mega Man player, but that they were all able to come together and play the newest edition of the game they all love is what really mattered. I'm sure they were all freaking out over that alone the whole time. Everyone here who is getting mad needs to chill the gently caress out because everyone who actually played the game was too busy having a ton of fun to get upset about anything. This was the first time Nintendo has done anything to actually reach out to the Smash community, and it was a huge success.

I can't wait until next year when Reggie kicks PPMD's rear end infront of a live studio audience.

also pac-man and the other newcomers are all cool etc

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone seen any footage of Bowser using his final smash? Or any other character who's final smash we haven't seen yet for that matter.

Of the character's who's final smashes that weren't officially shown off, I've so far seen:

Pikachu's - same as Brawl (Volt Tackle)
Fox's - same as Brawl (Landmaster)
Olimar's - same as Brawl (End of Day)
Sonic's - same as Brawl (Super Sonic)
Marth's - same as Brawl (Critical Hit)
Zero Suit Samus's - new, she jumps into her ship and goes into first person mode, shooting whoever she targets with her ship's laser cannons, kind of like Snake's but different
Sheik - same as Brawl (Light Arrow, sends opponent horizontally flying)

also I saw a Link try to use his final smash once but he missed it so I don't know if it's different. Looked like it was probably the same though.

Really curious if anyone else's have been changed or not

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Word is that most if not all veteran's Final Smashes are the same (including Giga Bowser, who I'm dying to see). I'm pretty sure there aren't any exceptions so far besides what's been shown in a direct and ZSS's beastly FPS mode

That's a bit disappointing to hear. I was really hoping Mario's and Bowser's were changed to be something more true to their characters instead of just weird unrelated things. Also Zelda and Sheik still having the same final smash despite being seperate characters is upsetting as well. Oh well, I probably won't be playing with them on for very long anyway so it doesn't matter.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wavedashing wasn't intended, but it was something they noticed in development and decided to keep in. They didn't think it something worth caring about, then they were late proven wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Giga Bowser is the lamest possible bullshit. It should of been replaced with a Koopa Clown Car bombing run or something else entirely. What a let down.

yes, this. I really wanted them to just let you play as the Super Mario World final boss as his final smash. Would be so much more interesting and would actually make sense.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Chrom & Lucina are both cool and I will be happy to see either of them included in the new game. Anna is way cooler though and she should have been included over Ike dammit. Smash Needs Redheads.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I will never understand people saying that Lucina should be an alt for Marth. She doesn't fight anything like him. If she was going to be a skin for someone it would be for own father Chrom, since they have the same unique class and skills. It's even a plot point that she fights exactly like her father!

Anna is better than either of them though JUST SAYING

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah, the actual Marth character also uses Lucina's animations, so she really is more like him than Chrom, despite what the game says.

None of the DLC characters use unique models or animations, though! The only reason Marth uses Lucina's is because he's a special snowflake who deserves more than just being assigned a normal class like the other characters and Lucina's "Marth" outfit made more sense for him to wear than Chrom's. Lucina uses a bigger sword than Marth and swings it much harder, whereas in all of Marth's normal depictions (most notably Smash Bros) he attacks much more elegantly. One of Lucina's quotes for gaining weapon experience is something like "I've been practicing father's moves and accidently smashed a hole in the wall. Success?" and that should give you a good idea of how she fights.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

DrPaper posted:

Also, Pit no longer has his Dark Pit color scheme anymore.

net cafe scandal posted:

Demo version has limited recolors for some reason. Wireframe Mac isn't there either.

Oh man, this news combined with the weird bit at the end of Palutena's trailer where Dark Pit appears for no reason makes me think he's gonna be an alternate costume with a unique voice track. Ever since they first showed that there were going to be some alternate costumes in the game I hoped this was going to happen but I didn't think it actually would. I really hope I'm right on this because every Kid Icarus: Uprising character is hilarious and the more of them we can get talking the better.

Other people have mentioned this before but I also want them to have secret taunts like the Star Fox characters and Snake did in previous games on the Kid Icarus stages where Pit and Palutena can talk with the other gods and goddesses and just talk poo poo on the other fighters. Uprising was such a good game you guys!!!!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

P:M has 32 stages, and a lot of them are poo poo like "Saffron City," "Rainbow Cruise," and "Flat Zone 2," completely unchanged. They even brought back stages that are long since gone like Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle. Only a handful of stages got the changes that people seem to talk about - Wario Ware, Sonic, Distant Planet, Norfair, and kinda Frigate. There's tons of levels for every type of player.

http://projectmgame.com/en/stages

It still isn't getting a retail release.

I get what he means though. I actually really like the stage selection in Project M but I do think some of the balanced stages are really uninspired design-wise. The Pikmin stage comes to mind especially. I feel like if they could alter some of those stages to make them more creative while still being balanced that would be a huge plus for the game.

Another thing that came to mind was having an alternate downloadable version of Project M that has almost nothing but wacky stages for people who aren't into competitive play but still like Project M's physics and playstyle. I know that's something you can easily do on your own but I fee like that would be nothing but a good thing for the Project M team to offer as an official release. Despite how big Brawl hacking is a lot of people don't know how to do stage hacks nor do they think the time figuring it out is worth it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Yeah, weird how out of the four he's the only one not using his retro look.

Mario isn't using his classic design either. Of the four there, Mega Man hasn't HAD any real redesigns, only different versions of his character, which all appear in his final smash, so of course he's going to look like that. Not to mention that that design in particular has made the most appearances on Nintendo consoles. Pac-Man hasn't had any successful redesigns, so there isn't much insentive to use his current look. Also the fact that his character seems to based around the entire Namco arcade library of games and not just Pac-Man, so using his arcade look fits that way better. Sonic, meanwhile, has continued to be a VERY successful franchise that SEGA cares about a lot, so it would make no sense to use his classic look. I know a lot of people here only really remember Sonic from his Genesis titles, but he's had this look for a long-rear end time now, and a lot of people would have no idea what the hell if Sonic didn't use his Modern appearance.

Endorph posted:

Imagine how much weirder it'd be if development had started a few months later and Sonic was using his Sonic Boom design.

This was never going to happen because Sonic Boom isn't a reboot of the series, just another one that is happening simultaneously with the normal series of games. Sonic Team have already confirmed that they are working on a new game with the current Modern Sonic design and that it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Now an alternate costume based on Sonic Boom, that could totally happen.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Mario's design never changed, besides the color of his overalls which is included as a costume. This is classic Mario:

You're right, I forgot that Super Mario Bros. 3 was the first Mario game.

Sonic has had 2 designs, not counting Sonic Boom. He's been Modern Sonic for way longer than he's been Classic Sonic. Mario has had several designs too.

Here are 3 "Classic" Mario designs:
From Donkey Kong,

From Mario Bros,

From Super Mario Bros,

that one also shows Bowser and Peach's original designs. Quite a bit different from what you see today!

Donkey Kong was released in 1981, Super Mario Bros 3 was released in 1988.
Sonic the Hedgehog was released in 1991, Sonic Adventure was released in 1998.
There are 7 years between both characters first design and the first iteration of their "modern" design.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

The original Smashville is so good, and it's always a nice treat to see KK when you're playing on a Saturday.

I remember when they first showed off KK appearing on Saturday nights on the Brawl Dojo and I thought it would be a relatively rare occurence. Then after the game came out I realized that Saturday nights are the time I most often play Smash Bros so it actually ends up being really common in practice. Such a good stage, and I hope that feature is still there in Town & City.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

To people who are interested in the Project M "we'll talk about it tomorrow" thing, Prog just started streaming where he plans to reveal what he has to say: http://www.twitch.tv/progducto

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I got to play 2 rounds of the Wii U version and 2 rounds of the 3DS version, plus 1 time through Smash Run. I played as Sonic and Bowser on the 3DS version for free for all matches and Pit during Smash Run. On the Wii U version I played as Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer.

It's hard to say how the game feels compared to previous Smash Bros titles, I need more time with the game to really come to a conclusion there. I want to say that it is at the very least an improvement over Brawl though. That said, I absolutely hate the default controls and will be remapping them on day 1. The controls on the 3DS and Pro Controller are set up as A as attack, B as special, and X and Y both being jump. This is incredibly awkward to transition to after using the Gamecube controller for 10+ years, because here the jump buttons are on the left while the attacking buttons are on the right, which is the opposite of the GC controller. It kept throwing me off as I was fighting and very nearly killed myself several times because of it. Also it just isn't a very comfortable layout in general in my opinion.

Character impressions! I noticed a few new moves on the characters I played as that I hadn't seen anywhere before so here!

Sonic has a new down smash; he now does a split and kicks in both directions at once. His dash attack is still the spin attack like in Brawl, but now at the end of it he goes into a kicking animation, it's kind of weird. His up air looks different now (he does a scissor motion with his legs) but I believe it functions the same as in Brawl, knocking the opponent upwards. The rest of his moves seemed to be the same, although his Spin Dash and Spin Charge special moves have new sound effects. It was a bit hard to hear over the people but I thought it sounded cool. I should also mention that I played with a new color for him, one where he is a darker blue and has purple shoes and if I remember correctly a purple bracelet. I wasn't able to check out his taunts so I can't say if they are as good or not.

Zero Suit Samus was my favorite character of everyone I played as and I'm definitely considering her as my main in the full game. She has a new side smash where she does a kick that hits twice in two places, I guess it's kind of like Link's side smash? except you only have press the button once to get both hits. Her down special still spikes if you hit with the tip of it. Her new up special goes almost straight up, there's a slight angle to it. It didn't seem like I could adjust it much. If you hit the opponent with it, they get carried along and the attack turns into a kick at the end that sends them flying. Beyond that she seemed to just be stronger in general. Didn't get a chance to look at her taunts. Oh also, her victory theme seems to be the exact same one from Brawl.

Wii Fit Trainer I can't really say much about. The match I used her in ended up being a huge clusterfuck on Battlefield and I couldn't really figure her out. Her side special (volley ball toss) felt weird to use, there was a delay to it and I don't know. Need more time with her to come to any conclusions.

Bowser had more changes done than I thought. His side smash is now the drop kick, it has really good knockback on it so it's a good KO move. His fire breath is very easy to aim now. I was able to make it go really far up, it almost looked silly but seems like a good change. His down air now sends him falling to the ground like Toon Link's, so that's something to watch out for. His dash attack is new, offhand I can't remember exactly what it was but it wasn't that special anyway. Aside from that he seemed to be faster and stronger than ever, so good news for Bowser players I guess! Again, didn't get to see any of his taunts. He also had a new green color scheme that I used that looked pretty cool.

Pit's new up special works like the space animals', in that looks like it can be aimed in any direction. It's a lot faster than their's though, with no start up to it. It also didn't seem to have any hitboxes on it, so it can't be used as an attack. Don't know how effective his down special (Guardian Orbitars) is since I didn't get it to reflect anything. His side special (Upperdash Arm) seemed like a really effective move, especially in Smash Run. I was able to plow through enemies with it. I didn't use him much in Brawl, but I think his arrows can be controlled a lot more now. His other moves seemed to be the same. I saw all of his taunts; they are all the same as Brawl, but he has new lines for them which I can't remember off hand. His Uprising voice actor is really good though and he wasn't at all annoying sounding like in Brawl.

Something crazy I noticed from watching other people play! Fox's side special no longer puts him in the helpless state, so he can jump afterwards and even use his up special to recover. This seems kind of insane??

Stages I played on were Golden Plains, Wily's Castle, Battlefield, and Living Room.

Golden Plains was pretty fun! The scrolling only happens occasionally, with a warning before hand. It gives you a good amount of time to stay on a single part of the map so it doesn't feel intrusive. The coin mechanic in it is kind of neat. After collecting 100 you turn gold and get stronger, but it didn't seem like it was too much of a buff? I could be wrong on that though, it was the first stage I played and I was getting used the controls still.

I didn't like Wily's Castle at all. The Yellow Devil was way too intrusive and it felt like we were fighting the stage more than we were fighting each other. Definitely won't be playing this stage much in the future unless it gets changed.

Battlefield is Battlefield. Whatever.

Living Room was kind of neat. It starts off with a completely flat floor, just like Coliseum. Eventually blocks appear at the top of the screen and stay there for a few seconds, then they fall down one at a time pretty fast. Getting hit by one hurts a lot! As they fall down they create a new layout for the stage that you and everyone else fight on. I thought it was a fun stage.

The event was pretty fun overall. There weren't too many terrible people in line, and it seemed like everyone just wanted to have fun and play Smash Bros, something I can always get behind. I'm really excited for October 3rd!

Jesus H. Christ posted:

People who have played on the 3DS - how essential is the L button? Mine has been bad for a while, but if I can get away with not using it for Smash that'd be awesome.

The L button is used for grabbing. I'm pretty sure you can also press R (shield) and the attack button to grab though, so you can use that instead.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

So, are people still complaining about Samus's heels?

Anyone complaining about Samus's Cool Boots can fight me when the game comes out.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

minusX posted:

That...makes an interesting setup for Mii fighters. Some moves are tied to one area, but others can move around? That's a lot of different setups for "one" (or three I guess) characters.

They showed off in the Digital Event and during the round table that every character has 3 variations of each special move you can choose from. Mii Brawlers, Swordfighters, Gunners, and Palutena are all unique though in that their special moves are completely different moves instead of just modifications of their existing moves, but they still have 3 moves tied to each special move slot. So no, there aren't quite as many setups as you think, but there's still a lot you can do with that.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you telling me 2.6+ million people sat down and watched an in-depth analysis of who would win in a fight between tails and luigi?

says the person posting in the Super Smash Bros. thread

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ms. Pac-Man would've been a way better addition to Smash Bros to be honest.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

What makes you think she ain't a skin?

The better question is what makes you think she is. Remember when Wario was shown off on the old Dojo site and he revealed that he could also wear his classic outfit? And then immediately after everyone expected other characters to have alternate costumes too? And then they didn't? Yes, this time around we've seen that the Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac are getting special costumes (I guess technically Villager is too, but from the demo it seems like their different incarnations are just a replacement for colors altogether like Pikachu's hats). But that isn't any reason to think that anyone besides those characters are getting them.

I want every character to have an alternate costume (especially after Brawl hacking spoiled me with them), but until Sakurai explicitly says "Every character will have at least one alternate costume" I see no reason to expect it after what happened with Brawl.

Also, on a side note, every character we've seen with an alternate costume still stays the same character, whereas Ms. Pac-Man is a completely seperate character from Pac-Man. I'm sure most people probably wouldn't care (myself included), but I imagine Namco at least wouldn't want her represented the exact same way as Pac-Man. Same reason why Shadow will never be an alternate costume for Sonic.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

From a couple pages ago because I was asleep:

Neowyrm posted:

Daisy is not Peach

Peach does not have Daisy as an alternate costume, she only has colors based on her. That is not the same thing at all. Mario has colors based on Wario, Luigi has colors based on Waluigi, would you call those alternate costumes?

Anyway Sonic cool and good and Pac-Man looks really happy to be here so we should all be happy to have them both. Also Mega Man I guess, whatever. I don't really want any other 3rd party character in the game besides MAYBE Snake (who is almost definitely cut). This is still meant to be the ~Nintendo All-Stars~ fighting game and having 3 guest characters is starting to push it, especially since as others noted no other character is really on the same level of importance as the 3 we have.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Honest question, what's really all that different between Daisy and Peach? I mean aesthetically aren't they just palette swaps? I know in Melee Peach's gloves changed a bit when you changed to the Daisy color. I haven't played the recent Mario Kart, assuming she's in it, so I can't remember all too well if she's different enough that she warrants her own model and playstyle.

She has a completely different face and hair style, her dress is different, and her personality is completely different. She would never be a playable character in Smash Bros for the same reason that Waluigi wouldn't (neither are important) but if she was she would likely have a ton of moves based off the Mario sports games because she's really into sports. She is basically the Sports Princess. She's also much louder than Peach and has a short temper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFOuynYKo4

I did forget that in Melee Peach's Daisy color actually changed her outfit to look like Daisy's, but she still kept the same face and hair style and was obviously just Peach dressed up as Daisy.

(i care a lot about mario characters)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

In Melee Peach had a Daisy costume. Precedence doesn't mean much in Smash games. They do what they want/what they have time for.

The Daisy costume was just the outfit and hair color, she was still obviously Peach.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, Waluigi would be a really sensible addition, more so than Rosalina, and she's in.

Waluigi has only shown up in spin-off titles. Rosalina was introduced in Super Mario Galaxy, a game that was frequently called one of the best games ever made when it released, and has been in every big Mario title since. She was even a playable character in the most recent one!

You can make the argument that Waluigi SHOULD be in the main titles or at least in the Wario games, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not and as such isn't really important when it comes to representing the Mario or Wario series.

Anyway, on the subject of customizable moves, I'm really kind of ehh on them. Mostly because they seem to be random effects that don't really make any sense instead of things that the character would actually do. Like, since when has Mario's cape ever shocked people? And when has Donkey Kong ever been able to shoot tornados out of his fist?? I dunno, it just makes the characters seem less like themselves to me, with the obvious exception of Palutena who gets to have completely unique moves for some reason???

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I think you guys are way over thinking whether or not customized movesets will be allowed. Project M and Brawl tournaments already allow going through menus to set up your name and customize your controls, I cannot imagine that picking 4 special moves for your character would take longer than either of those things, especially considering Sakurai's games tend to have really intuitive menus. Whether they are allowed or not will be entirely based on how well balanced they are and whether people decide they like playing with them or not.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

That new Marth alt looks really cool, but I was really hoping for goofy pantsless Marth and I can't say I'm not disappointed.

Edit: At least I got goofy pantsless Pit instead, so I guess that's something.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

everyone talking poo poo about samus's Cool Boots can fight me

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I think Zero Suit Samus looks cool. I am excited to kick people in the face with jet boots. If you do not like Zero Suit Samus that is okay, but I am still going to kick people in the face with jet boots.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

weird bleep posted:

gently caress Lucina, NO PANTS MARTH FOR SMASH.

NO PANTS MARTH FOR SMASH.

sharrrk posted:

That new Marth alt looks really cool, but I was really hoping for goofy pantsless Marth and I can't say I'm not disappointed.

Edit: At least I got goofy pantsless Pit instead, so I guess that's something.

Preach it, brother.

RE: Pink Hoodie Little Mac, I'm curious if his entrance animation is him still pulling off his pink hoodie to reveal another pink hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder why they didn't bother giving her the actual fire flower colors. Bit of a odd choice.

I'm wondering more why those weren't the colors in the first place. They're a lot better and she doesn't look like Mrs. Claus.

• Locked thread