Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

It's a small thing, but I really appreciate that the Halberd and Jungle Japes got updated to match the artstyles of the game instead of just being copypasted in like in Melee and Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wouldn't this have been the best time to announce that? It'd be bigger news than Greninja, and one version of the game is only a few months away.

E3 would certainly be the best time for it. If we're gonna hear about any remaining 3rd party guys it'll be at E3.

You have no idea how much the appearance of Ice Climbers Polar Bear eases my weary heart. The Ice Climbers are safe. :unsmith:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Palutena seems like a given at this point, like there's no way she's not in. And I am okay with that.

I think we're looking at something like 42-45 characters. Even if the leak isn't true 6 or 7 more characters seems pretty reasonable.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

DrPaper posted:

It's culled a lot of "leaks" floating out there at least. There was practically none with Geninja, and pretty much all of them still have Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer or introduce a new character who changes. Right now the Gamasutra leak is the only one that hasn't been killed - even if 'A Pokemon from X and Y' is safe baby bullshit. Doesn't mean it's more real, but it's the only left to be debunked.

I really want to believe the Gamasutra leak just because everything it calls sounds awesome. Do you even know how much I'd love Rhythm Heaven Chorus Men as a fuckin character.

If you want my bet I think the initial Wii Fit Trainer leak was legit and Pac-Man and Mii will be a thing but some other guy claiming to be the same guy who leaked WFT made the newer call with Shulk, XY Pokemon, Chorus Men et al. But I still wanna believe it anywho.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's still a bunch of characters who I think are basically guaranteed, but not announced yet:

-Captain Falcon
-Ness
-Ganondorf
-Falco
-Jigglypuff
-Metaknight
-Wario
-G&W

The characters who I think are very likely gone are Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Everyone else I'd peg at various states of uncertainty.

Falco and Wolf seems like an either/or thing to me, and with the polar bear in Smash Run I'd say that means the Ice Climbers are back (though I'm disgustingly biased on the subject of Ice Climbers), but other than that I'd say yeah, we can guarantee all these guys basically.

We're up to 29 confirmed dudes now, and I'd say we can guarantee another 9 veterans on top of that, so like, 38, plus R.O.B. and Lucas are sorta borderline cases, Ike and Wolf are on the lower end of "maybe" and we'll probably have around 4 more newcomers, give or take? No matter how you look at it this game's gonna have a really hefty roster, and with how individually tuned up every character looks compared to the Melee->Brawl transition that's really impressive.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 9, 2014

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zero Suit Samus tries to activate her Final Smash, is suddenly attacked by Phantoon instead

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm really glad Samus doesn't look as sickly and frail as she did in Other M, though. I feel like a lot of the loathing for her new design just comes from kneejerk revulsion towards Other M, which, granted, is justified.

Compare/contrast:

Brawl:

Other M: (not even using her official render for this game because it's just a gratuitous rear end shot)

Smash 4:

Her Smash 4 design definitely looks the most like a Tough Space Warrior and least like a realdoll, at least to me.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Seeing the Ice Climbers Polar Bear show up in Smash Run was all I needed to see to feel confident they're back. Wario, Falcon, the Climbers, and Ness are basically guarantees due to incidental evidence, and Ganondorf, Meta Knight and Game & Watch all feel like pretty big givens. Game & Watch is the First Nintendo Character, Ganondorf's Ganondorf and Meta Knight is Sakurai's baby. At this point there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to doubt those seven characters showing up.

Likewise, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle can basically be written off. The rest are in varying states of "maybe".

Sceptile is my all-time favorite Pokemon and I would absolutely love to see him show up alongside Greninja and Charizard but I think it'll just be Jigglypuff. And that's fine too because I love Jigglypuff. :3:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, Pilotwings has a logo too, and in the previous game Animal Crossing and Electroplankton had logos with no fighters.

A Nintendog fighter would be great but I wouldn't count on it with the Assist Trophy.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Endorph posted:

They don't like Pikmin, got burnt out on New Super Mario Brothers, and don't like Platinum Games that much, heard Sonic: Lost World was mediocre, and don't like Zelda that much.

Not that I disagree but this sounds like a person who has no reason to care about Smash Bros anyway.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

By the way while we're talking about Wii U games Mario 3D World is my new favorite Mario of all-time, it's understandable if you wrote it off for looking sorta like the 3D equivalent of New Super Mario Bros but it's really, really good. Like on par with Super Mario World good.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Dragoon is a fun idea in concept but just doesn't work. I always turned it off.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

With how they're actually updating the visuals for past stages this time, it'd be really neat to see N64 stages return. HD Hyrule Castle :swoon:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I feel like Luigi, Marth, Toon Link etc. being announced already kinda hints towards them abandoning unlockable characters and I'm ultimately okay with that. Smash has plenty of secret stuff besides characters. In general, fighting games have been steering away from secret characters as a bit of pointless tedium.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Have almost the entire roster open from the start, with the exception of Jigglypuff. Who still requires you to beat Classic Mode.

Jigglypuff is the only character it'd feel wrong to have unlocked from the start.

After having to start a new save file on Brawl recently I realized what an incredible slog it was to unlock all the characters. Secret characters feels really integral to Smash as a whole so I wouldn't be upset if it stayed or anything, but as someone who had to start a new Brawl file more than once, I wouldn't be sad to see secret characters as a concept just, go away, either. And I really do think they're just steering away from it, between the fact that they're hyping up new characters more than ever and the fact that we know of so many series-staple secret guys already.

The "choose at the beginning if you want secrets or not!!" idea is pretty bad, because then it would just make the effort of unlocking stuff feel shallow and tedious anyway. There WILL be tons of cool secret poo poo, but I get the impression that they really want to glorify and emphasize the characters this time.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 13, 2014

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Excels posted:

did anyone ever use that projectile absorbing barrier to any great effect

the few times i ever managed to absorb something it healed me for like 2% damage. rubbish

In Brawl Ness's shield can push people away and Lucas's does damage but has a really lovely hitbox so it's almost useless.

They're both two of my favorite characters (both to play as and, er, AS characters) but I wish those shields were used for something besides trolling a friend who gets the Superspicy Curry.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I believe you'll find I've made the perfect choices

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Makes me wonder how Nintendo goes about making these games. Do they model Mario from scratch for every game?! You'd think by this point they'd have HD base models for all the major characters that they could use as a starting point.

Download a ton of Gmod Mario models and take a look for yourself--big Mario titles (Sunshine, Galaxy etc.) use unique models but the sports/kart games share assets. If you count them as major, New Super Mario Bros. games are an exception, they use the stock models. I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that corners were cut on the NSMB games, though. 3D World's the first time they've done HD models for the Mario characters.

Smash games tend not to cut corners with models short of trophies, which I respect a lot--Brawl and Melee both resulted in the first time some of the original 151 got a new model since Pokemon Stadium.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a "Super Smash Bros. Character Select Screen Generator" yet.

That's literally where those images are coming from on the last page, dude

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The real challenge was doing HRC in co-op in Brawl. I remember when the daily replays were ongoing they sent some insanely coordinated combo videos out.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

This thread makes the character unlocking thing way more complex than it needs to be. Either leave it the way it was or make it so everyone's unlocked from the start, any inbetweens would be pointlessly obtuse, bad game design and satisfy absolutely nobody. The "make a switch so you can toggle unlockables on and off" idea is so terrible, it'd make the feeling of unlocking everybody so shallow when you know you could've just chosen to have all of them at once at the beginning or whatever. At least having it one way or the other makes some people happy.

I'd personally prefer they abandon the character-unlocking stuff aside from alternate costumes and whatnot, but at the end of the day it's up to Sakurai and as long as he makes another good game I'll play the poo poo out of it, tedium or not.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

But also, there's a Balloon Fight stage on 3DS, so :psyduck: And while the Kid Icarus stage on Wii U is mostly non-descript compared to the very specifically-set Reset Bomb Forest stage, it's still using the design of Palutena's temple from Uprising.

It's definitely not a hard rule, just a general thing. I hope we get some really obscure stages on the 3DS version, though. Gimme Wario's Castle from Mario Land 2 with those weird Wario Orbs that follow you around! Gimme a Mega Man stage with Quint running around on it, gimme a Sonic Advance stage or something.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

These games just look really weird when you pause them. If I may crack open my Brawl screenshots folder...

I'm sure you guys have an undiscovered screenshot treasure trove from a few years ago too if you go back and look.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm all about swole as hell Radiant Dawn Ike. It differentiates him from Marth a lot more.

It also means that if anyone from Awakening shows up it won't be Chrom and GOOD.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lessail posted:

it's gonna be tharja :unsmigghh:

I would actually be pretty okay with that, even if she is to Fire Emblem as Krystal is to Star Fox basically.

(Except Tharja is less boring.

I know what I said.)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really want to see Ganon with a new moveset. I mean, if it was a choice between Captain Clone Ganon or no Ganon, I will always take any Ganon. But I think he, over any other clone character, deserves his own moves.

I really love how Ganondorf feels to play, even if it's not really very Ganondorfish or even that good. HE just FEELS good to play as in Brawl, to me. He's got this really satisfyingly brutish feel to him. Also I just love the name "Warlock Punch" for a fighting game attack.

It'd be really neat if Ganondorf had his dual blades from Wind Waker, but could just toss them away and start punching people, but transforming characters are out the window. At the very least, I hope he keeps his dive move.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, they showed the shadow, but never Ridley himself. Sakurai was loving with everyone who's been asking for him.

There's actually a few frames when they show Ridley's shadow where some purple wings flap into the screen.

There's a TON of people who say "OTHER M RIDLEY WILL BE THE BOSS ON THE STAGE AND CLASSIC RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE" though, like that wouldn't get potentially confusing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I think that's actually a cool addition. :shobon:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Wireframe Mac and Male WFT weren't there but Female Villager was. Kinda weird!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I just hope when it comes out, people will give it a fair chance instead of brushing it off as quickly as they are now.

It's a little unfair given the factors behind it but I think I had more fun watching that ZSS vs. Kirby match at the end than I've ever had watching Melee/PM tourneys (and I enjoy watching those a lot)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've just seen a lot of really...passionate posts about Smash 4's competitive soundness based off of a demo and a tournament that had items on for all but one match and I feel a little sad that so many people seem to think it needs to be like Melee to be a good tournament game, especially when we still really don't know much about it.

If it comes out and people don't like it, then cool, I've just heard EVERYWHERE--even on line at Best Buy yesterday--about how people think it's going to suck for competitive play already, and it's kind of a bummer.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

There are certainly combos going on in some of the character trailers, Sonic and Pac-Man particularly have some pretty good poo poo going on, but everyone who's actually played the demo says otherwise. I know the trailers are meant to make the characters look good, but it seems a little suspect to me. I didn't get to do much more than watch at Best Buy yesterday because the line was unmitigable. I agree, at least, that combos are a big factor that I hope will be present.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My ideal Smash Bros. would be similar to Project M but without wavedashing/L-cancelling and none of the barely-different variants on Battlefield they thought were better than the gimmicky fun stages. That seems kinda close to SSB4; as long as there's hitstun I genuinely think it'll be a far better tournament game than Melee. At least what we've seen of it so far. I'd rather be hopeful and mildly disappointed than stomp around dismissively right out of the gate.

Anyway, I'm a little worried about that leak because I don't want Lucas gone and I don't want Chrom in, but drat if I don't want to get my hands on the Chorus Men.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've seen some rumors floating about that Project M folks have been brought on for testing and maybe that's what all of this is about. Possibly just bullshit, but would be good and promising news if true. The only bad things in Project M are all things that would never fly in a retail release (i.e. the atrocious stage selection)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

P:M has 32 stages, and a lot of them are poo poo like "Saffron City," "Rainbow Cruise," and "Flat Zone 2," completely unchanged. They even brought back stages that are long since gone like Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle. Only a handful of stages got the changes that people seem to talk about - Wario Ware, Sonic, Distant Planet, Norfair, and kinda Frigate. There's tons of levels for every type of player.

http://projectmgame.com/en/stages

It still isn't getting a retail release.

I've played Project M dude, you don't need to go over the stage list on me. But I dunno, maybe I'm being a little too subjective. I just feel like Project M's replacement stages are by-and-large much blander, even the retro ones from Melee and 64, because they're missing poo poo due to hacking limitations. And Dracula's Castle is just boring as poo poo as both as layout and a setting. If Brawl was released with that stage selection people would have by-and-large hated it.

There's just a lot of polish issues all around with Project M, which are all understandable for a hack, but when you approach it as its own game, as some seem very eager to do, I just don't think it holds up.

EDIT: I sound like a huge dick in this post. I don't mean to disrespect the work they did on it at all, it's awesome. But it's still a hack and suffers from all the polish issues that come with it. The important thing is, the physics and balance they spun on top of Brawl is absolutely incredible and if they can give any sort of input on the gameplay, it'll be good to have.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 13, 2014

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

(I think only Battlefield and FD are shared between versions)

Too lazy to go look it up but I'm pretty sure the Boxing Ring is shared between versions too. Just those three, though.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I hope they can pull off Amiibos of the guest characters without any potential licensing issues, because I think those three are the ones I would love the most.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Regardless of whether or not they change Ganondorf for this game in terms of moves, I'd love to see them do a non-cartoon take on his Wind Waker design (aka the Superior Ganondorf). If he still punches people and has his grandpa grabs I'll be fine with that, I just wanna see him in his bigass kimono thing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I heard the lines were even worse at the closest Best Buy for me today and I was sleepy so I didn't even bother. I'm kind of sad I didn't get some hands on time with it but I never stood a chance. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

I really hope that there's an update for the 3DS between now and October 3 that lets you preorder digital copies of games and lets you download the game a couple of days early but can't be used until launch because the eshop at midnight is going to be sooooo swamped. :(

It held up astonishingly well for Animal Crossing New Leaf, which is probably the biggest game on the 3DS to have digital copies go up at launch. Smash Bros. is of course, significantly bigger both in filesize and in how many people will be trying to get it, but I'm not TOO worried.

• Locked thread