Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Can Sakurai run Nintendo from now on? He's way better than Iwata.

Fixed this for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Seeing people's hypothetical rosters speaks volumes about the games they have and haven't played.

For instance, from all of the above rosters I can tell that none of the people that made them played through Kid Icarus: Uprising or Fire Emblem: Awakening. :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Magypsy posted:

I would pay good money for an actual Lucina skin for Marth, no fooling.

Alternate skins with changed voices and new quotes are something I'd gladly pay money for if they're done well, though I'd prefer they be baked in during development.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

There is really so much material to mine from Mega Man. I hope they have two or three stages for him in each game.

Scrolling Megaman 2 Wily Fortress with a mecha dragon interruption halfway through. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Huh, seems like mostly the same as the reactions I saw in the English-speaking community.

Surprisingly, nerds aren't all that different across the Pacific.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wind God Sety posted:

I still dunno where the idea that Ike will almost certainly be cut comes from, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

The fact that Chrom's fighting style is really, really close to how Ike rolls is a big part of it. That, the fact that Roy got rotated out for Ike last time (yes he was in a lovely game, but FE has the popularity for basically two slots, and Marth's got a lock on one of them.) and Fire Emblem: Awakening being the newest game in the series and the one they'd want to advertise are all strong indicators that Ike's likely out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fire Emblem was literally about to be cancelled due to unpopularity before Awakening sold unexpectedly well. It is not going to get more slots than freaking Donkey Kong.

And Ike and Chrom are both big beefy blue-haired dudes who use Aether and they even have some similar attack animations.

Also both of them having loving Aether.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panic Restaurant posted:

Porky/Pokey would be rad as hell. We don't have anything close to a character who's inside of a mech at all times, so he'd play pretty uniquely. He was scaled up pretty massively for his Brawl appearance, but I don't recall his spider mech being depicted anywhere near as huge in either of his actual game appearances, so that pretty much excludes him from the whole Ridley size issue thing. It'll never happen, but it's fun to dream. :allears:

At a minimum I'd like him to return as a stage boss, maybe as part of a Cave of the Past stage where he turns off the Devil's Machine and unleashes Giygas on everyone after being damaged enough. :getin:

I could see that being hilarious, when people start randomly taking 50% damage and they don't know why :gonk:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

The whole spots thing is dumb and people should stop believing that characters take "spots" from others.

The idea that there is a reasonable limit on the number of characters Sakurai can and will put in this game is dumb why, exactly? :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

I hope they reduce the time it takes Wario's fart move to power up. I never remember that I can use it.
It only needs 50 seconds to become Wario's best kill move. Once it's fully charged, it's actually worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Like half of Wario's arsenal is prone to causing him to suicide, especially in Warioman mode. Seriously, has anyone ever managed to use his bike in Warioman mode without killing themselves?

Sure, why would you bother when you're an aerial monster for 50 seconds though?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Both of those characters are cool actually, as are Bowser, DK, Wario, Peach, Olimar, Mario (which is "Olimar" backwards, for those not in the know), Falco, Kirby, Pikachu, Wolf, Lucario, Mewtwo, Roy, Ganondorf, Zelda, Ike, Charizard, Link, Captain Falcon, Dedede, Metaknight, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Rob, Villager, Samus, Li'l Mac, Sonic, Snake, ZSS, Yoshi, Diddy, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ness, Lucas, Pit, and Toon Link.

Basically everyone other than Jigglypuff.

Give it a rest, the aerial queen will reclaim her throne. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they made DLC for a reskin of Marth to Lucina down the road. It's not much different than the wii fit trainers.

I just wish it was literally anyone other than Chrom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Compared to how the character select worked in the past this seems incredibly inelegant, so I call bullshit.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

chrom fights for his friends too

such bonds are the strength of this army

gently caress fighting for your friends.

Fighting for the future is where it's at these days.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Canada goes smashless. :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Friend posted:

I hope, one day, Reggie kills him and absorbs him.

If a childhood of Dragon Ball Z taught me anything, won't that weaken Reggie's power?

Also holy poo poo I am unbelievably happy they're making that adapter. It's been harder and harder to find good GameCube controllers, so hopefully them making smash custom branded ones will help with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

Dammit. I was seriously hoping we could finally move past that controller.

Nobody's making you use it if you don't want to. :)

The GCN controller is the best one for Smash though, so I'm glad they have it. Nothing else even comes close.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I too know what the hell a M2K or a D1 is.

A M2K is something you don't want near your couch.

A D1 is 1/3rd of a D3 (Dedede).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've never followed competitive Smash beyond knowing a couple of people and learning some of the techs, but Ken's way more prominent to me than M2K is, and I think he'd be a much better at representing the game.

Edit: Also some googling about the current subject says the best Smasher in Australia was female up until around 2006 or so?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Having to pull your thumb away from the buttons just to highlight a character seems really crappy.

Just tap it when you die, how is it that big of a deal?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's a nice though to add this to the game but it's not really news or interesting.

That was the Dojo theme for this month (except Ike).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's pretty much a given we're getting 3 Fire Emblem characters now that Ike's confirmed, right? I can't imagine them not giving Chrom/NotChrom a slot when Awakening was the best seller that series had and Star Fox had 3 last time when that series was deader than dead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah, definitely getting 3 FE characters. The only question I have is if we're getting a second FE stage, too, since 3 characters with only one stage is kind of weird.

A stage based on the Tower or the Ruins from Sacred Stones would be pretty cool, you could have monsters run by and attack and poo poo.

Was the stage from Brawl a map in an FE game, or was it just ~generic castle~?

I'm not too familiar with the series (just hopped in on the new one) but is there any particularly iconic place they could use?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
And given that yes, they're pretty much for Smash, branding them with the logo isn't too bad of an idea (it owns, actually, I really like that logo they went with).

Edit: ^You mention those, and not about being on the back of a giant dragon :black101:? I was thinking about places more from games not named Awakening, since Arena Ferox is the (pretty cool) place that represents that game and I don't see it needing more than one stage.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 30, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm a little disappointed For Glory mode is only Final Destination. The various "big platform, a few little ones too" stages were commonly used in competitive.

The big reason for that is Japanese tournaments are supposed to be heavily FD-centric.

Battlefield would've been better, but honestly I'm happy with the inclusion of tournament style play at all. :)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Chrom(it's going to be Chrom, don't pretend it isn't

Don't you tell me what to do :arghfist::saddowns:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yo Sakurai can we get some more info on Sonic please. I'd like to know what music they decided to include this time now that they had way more time to work him (Rooftop Run Classic? Chemical Plant Zone?) and if the Sonic assist trophy is gonna be someone good this time.
It was someone good last time. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm a foolish fool that hasn't been keeping up with E3 information, when and where can I watch Smash?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Lucina was in the shuffle of character icons in the background of the Amiibo shot.
edit: F;b

It's possible someone working on that trailer hosed up and thought it was Marth?

I want to believe, though. :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think that Amiibo bit showing lots of different characters was just meant to indicate that many different games will use it, since most of the characters weren't using their SSB art.

Outside of Tom Nook though, wasn't every other character they showed involved in Smash? You could make an argument for Toad and the Pikmin, but showing a Fire Emblem character strongly suggests they have plans for some amiibo stuff involving that franchise.

So unless we're hearing more about SMT x FE, it really feels like a Smash thing to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

I am glad to see Palutena is playable, though I still have yet to play Uprising because Nintendo hates me for being left handed. Is it the kind of game you can play alright using the left-handed controls? Because from what I remember hearing, you have to use the face buttons instead of the Circle Pad, which sounds really terrible.

I write and do stylus stuff on the DS with my left hand too, and it wasn't that big of a problem for me adapting to the right handed control scheme. It might be worth just giving it a try.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

God why would you go to E3 and try out Smash Bros and not play as any of the new characters? I'd be dying to try out the new guys

I'm sure more than a few people really wanted to know how their old favourites would play this time.

Though personally yeah, when I go to that best buy thing I'm rocking Greninja and Megaman.

E: what's wrong with having a few more characters added after the fact if they run out of time before the game ships, as long as it doesn't paywall people off from playing against people with those characters? Personally, I just want them to put as many in as they can.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 10, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Trailer for the old puck was good, and he'll probably play alright, but I'm not really enthusiastic about him as a character.

Bring on the DLC, because I think they're through characters I give two shits about.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

^ Reggie V Iwata V Sakurai V Sakurai. Someone, go back in time and make this happen.

Fucker uses 2 controllers to test Smash 4, let him show off his true power level.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

I will never understand people saying that Lucina should be an alt for Marth. She doesn't fight anything like him. If she was going to be a skin for someone it would be for own father Chrom, since they have the same unique class and skills. It's even a plot point that she fights exactly like her father!

Anna is better than either of them though JUST SAYING

More than anything else, that comes down to body type and Lucina's character being very much derived from Marth.

Plus Chrom's halfway between Marth and Ike anyways, so it's not really that big of a stretch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just drove 3 hours to one of the two Best Buys in my province, and I'm at the back of the line with an hour to go. gently caress I hope I get to play. :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
His up aerial produces an air tornado with some pretty good knock back, I noticed while I was playing him.

His aerials all seem pretty good, actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

In our sample size of 3 Smash games though, that seems to be a trend; for example, Kirby was really good in SSB64 and awful in SSBM, so I guess Metaknight should get ready to suck.

As a counter argument, Link has been a pile of poo poo 3 games running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Nah, the point they're making is that great characters get nerfed; no one's said anything about the reverse. (Would be great if the worse characters were made better, though.)

Marth and Falco stayed every bit as good, though, and they were both very high.

• Locked thread