Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Gonna be honest, I'm really gonna miss the Trainer. He was a really unique character gimmick and (if you took out Stamina), having essentially three different fighting styles in one character made him super-versatile. Not to mention he was a perfect representation of the Pokémon franchise--you're a kid controlling a legion of super-powerful beasts, making split-second decisions about your team on the fly, and he was exactly that.
He was my first main in Brawl, too, so I have a lot of fond memories of competing in tournaments with him, too.

But, well, no more transformation characters means no more transformation characters, I guess. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Did I miss these? Where are they from?

They're from the Mario series, you silly.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Excels posted:

e: Oh man, people over on /v/ getting really mad about Samus' retconned height and neon heels. Hahahaha

It ain't just /v/, I tell ya wot.
There's a lot of arguments for and against it over on Tumblr, on GameFAQs, on NeoGaf, and I'm sure there'll be a fight in this very thread soon enough.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What are the odds Falco and Wolf get cut and their moves get rolled into Fox's custom moveset?

See, the interesting thing about custom movesets is that this seems like perfect reason to snip out all the clones and make sure everyone gets a unique moveset, with the slightly-different specials available as custom stuff and the looks as alternate costumes or something.

But then we still have Toon Link and Link, so that theory's right out.

ImpAtom posted:

No, even the Mega Man games that people liked didn't sell well. Literally the only Mega Man game since X to sell over a million copies was Mega Man Battle Network 4. (And that was more based on the strength of the first three games and it murdered that franchise because it was so bad.) At its worst it was doing five digit numbers for games people generally praised.

I mean I love the franchise but it was a really poor seller for such a big icon.

Man, so Mega Man is Capcom's version of Metroid, then? :(

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Metroid is actually a significantly better seller than Mega Man on average!

Well that's surprising, I was under the impression Metroid was a pretty bad seller despite all the praise it gets.
Is there a site where I can get specific/estimated sales figures at? I'd like to do a little digging and compare between games.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Mega Charizard X is pretty cool I guess but it's got nothing on Rock God Ampharos! :black101:

That is the most fantastic 80s hair metal outfit I have ever seen.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Hey now, Adam has caused more damage to Samus's reputation in three games than Ridley was able to do starting from day one. :v:

Three? Adam was only in two and the manga, and only in Other M was he an insufferable douche.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe throw in swimming too, make it a Smash triathlon.:downs:

The swimming would be a low-tier Smash 64 match.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you're gonna put in the most iconic mascot of videogames, put in Doom Guy.

I would non-ironically play the poo poo out of Doomguy.
He's been on three Nintendo consoles too, so.

Let me dream.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh my god! What's wrong with your hands! Thumbs don't bend that way!

She grabbed a punch from Little Mac in the last screenshot.
That's what's wrong with her hands.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Well, it's not an impossible pose. But it sure does look uncomfortable as hell, even if it is "dynamic".

I'm really quite worried about her viewer-right foot, though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Constable Lemon posted:

All of the smash bros characters are equally sexy.

Ladies.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

pandaK posted:

Why does Wonder Red being a trophy mean that he's not going to be a playable character?

Considering even the playable fighters have had trophies as well I have no damned clue.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

"Kerfuffle" is a nickname that's picked up a lot of steam, for some reason. "Smash Bros. Kerfuffle" gives almost 50k results on Google.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The problem with using this thread as an outlet for news information is that we have a minor news post maybe every three to four pages and then the rest of the time is spent fighting about Waluigi/Other M/tourney play/fun.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

You're in luck!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Crawfish posted:

I assume anyone that wouldn't look really weird using this technique will have it, but those that would won't. Like I don't see Link switching his dominant sword hand every time he turns directions, but I suppose it could be a small reference to it changing between the versions of Twilight Princess.

It's very, very common in fighting games, actually. Vega's hand constantly swaps sides every time he turns, and so does Sagat's scar and eyepatch. Likewise, as posted before, Spencer's bionic arm changes sides as well.

This'll basically be something that gets noted in the bottom of a fan-wiki's Trivia section, and that's...about it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Plasbad posted:

So, anyone know what's up with this? http://www.onefinalsmash.com/

That's a whole lot of stock sound effects.

http://puu.sh/8ZIQn.zip - I got these from the General Series 6000 and the Oblivion Combat Sound Replacement, a lot of the noises seem lifted from it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

I want a good Ganondorf.

Having Samus not be utter poo poo for one official game would be nice. Closest she got was mid in Melee.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

They kind of missed out on prime opportunities with DLC.

They could have given us Kind Of Disaffected And Doesn't Give A poo poo Cole.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Not going to lie, i'm sort of disappointed that both games get a Fire Emblem stage and both of them happen to be arenas.

It's Soulcalibur V all over again. So many ambitious ideas and desires. But then eventually the deadline gets set much sooner than is comfortable. Sakurai needs to cut everything he had in mind and starts recycling/reusing assets near the tail end of the development cycle instead of finishing up the new ones because it's much quicker.

Ike was only the beginning.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Endorph posted:

Wait, reusing assets? The stages are the same setting, but they look completely different. And how is Ike reusing assets? His model is different from Brawl.

I was really tempted to put "I am not being serious" in spoilers at the bottom, but decided against it because I thought it was obvious.
Sorry.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical but I really am not expecting the balance of this game to be much better than Brawl. Sounds too good to be true.

I can assure you that no matter what your expectations are, there will be a lot of people using different characters at first.
Then after a year, there will be a tier list.
Of all the characters, only about a quarter of them will be in a high tier position and a good chunk of them will not be high tier.
There will be a few new tactics discovered that the development team never foresaw that completely changes the tier placement. If we're lucky, it'll be the Ink Drop all over again.
Then after another year, there will be another tier list.
And then a few years after, after tons of datacrunching and metagame analysis, a small team of modders will be able to fix the game.

Only then will we finally have balance.

Since it didn't go over well last time, I'm not being serious this time either.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 8, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

I believe it was called inkdropping because when the general public played an early build of Brawl some gamefaqs (or some other website) user with ink in his name noticed this phenomenon and super insisted it be named after himself since he discovered it. I am not kidding.

So, a narcissistic nerd named it after himself.

Sort of yes, sort of no.

The actual spectacle is still incredible, though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also, it's hard not to feel dissapointed in the Mii reveal when there are a lot of other characters I wanted

In my case they were characters that had 0% chance of getting confirmed, included, or even acknowledged, so I wasn't really that disappointed.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Excels posted:

I thought it was incredibly funny that no one at E3 mentioned Nintendo at all. I think the Wii U got mentioned very briefly once or twice.

Nintendo just basically went "Oh heh, you guys talked about how cool your systems are and how much you innovated games. How quaint. BAM, TRAILER. BAM, TRAILER. BAM, NEW STUFF. BAM. BAM. BAM. We out."

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you're not averse to LPs, there's a pretty good one that was done here for Kid Icarus Uprising: http://lparchive.org/Kid-Icarus-Uprising/

Kid Icarus is one of those games where it's a blast even just to watch because the writing really is so drat good. It's probably the best-written Nintendo title, as low-hanging as that fruit is; it's amazing to compare how straight-laced the original titles are and then there's this which is so unbelievably irreverent.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The best part about all this is how Mii is going to be top tier and Smash Commentators are going to have to comment on the $1000 Money match between Barack Obama and a blinking Penis face.

Customizable fighters aren't allowed in any other fighting game tournaments in recent memory, like Soulcalibur, so I sincerely doubt they'll be allowed in Smash either.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

oh my god that loving final smash

I might have a reason to actually play ZSS now.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

So that Wii Fit Trainer loved to just hang back and spam.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

TheQat posted:

Yes it's really shocking that the type of people who would go to the premiere tournament for a new Smash game would want that tournament to follow the rules literally every smash tournament has ever followed. How absurd of them

Oh man you're telling me that a promotional tournament designed to show off the game doesn't want to lock off one of the biggest features they're promoting?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cuccoo swarm confirmed for usable item.

whyyyyy sakurai :gonk:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

LANDMASTER CONFIRMED FOR SMASH

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

SCOOPS

awkward silence

...SCOOPS

more awkward silence

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

the crowd loving screamed

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oh gently caress me, it's Waluigi. :geno:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bowser just being a bitch and blocking the view just because he can.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Geno posted:

what's consensus compared to melee/SSBB

looks good

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thanks for letting us know how to play, guys! I'd forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

TRASH TALKIN

• Locked thread