Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked the idea of having multiple characters on hand, but the way it turned out I really only used one for the most of a match, especially in Brawl when the transformation times got longer. I'm far happier with each character having a full special set now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've seen a shot of a Galaga grabbing Fox. Not expecting it, but it would be great if that let you double up.

Don't know if it means a Namco fighter, but Pacman could easily fit with those items as representing Namco arcade games.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

But thankfully it isn't just a bunch of boring platforms randomly scattered around like NPC was. Paluenta's Temple looks more like three stages put together.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think it works better to have a regular Link that contrasts more with Toon Link.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did the N64 even have any proper fighting games you would have wanted a controller like that for?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe he mixed it up with Abe's Odyssey, which is getting a full remake.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Didn't have as good a soundtrack as Rush though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So what was that Dark Pit noise about? I really hope he's not a playable fighter, since he's literally a palette swap of Pit.

Insert Ridley/Alfonso joke here.

They didn't do a reveal for him, so I doubt he's a character. Best case scenario is that Pit's voice clips change when you switch him to his black outfit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Seshoho Cian posted:

Wii U box art.

It's really odd that everyone has unique art for the box, but then the WiiFit Trainer is just slapped in there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chaltab posted:

So where exactly is all the confusion over Samus' backstory coming from? It's like that thing about the Atari carts being buried in the landfill: sudden skepticism where previously there had been none. Long before I'd ever even played any of the Metroid games I knew Samus' origin. I don't remember when and how I learned it, probably Nintendo Power or something.

The problem is that it's never actually referenced that much in the games, so I could easily see somebody just playing the games, not delving deeper than that and being completely baffled by the Ridley scene. What I find really odd is that Sakamoto packed O:M with scenes of Samus' flat monologues, but not one referenced her relationship with Ridley (other than calling him her nemesis). Evidently he expected to have an audience familiar with a comic that I'm not sure was ever officially translated.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

B-But the clothing tearing away into sexy little shreds and jean shorts was for realism!

MY IMMERSION

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

That makes no sense either. The end of that manga (which overlaps the Metroid 1/M:ZM fight) has Samus not even being remotely scared of Ridley, beating the poo poo out of him, and then letting out a battlecry over his flaming corpse.

Well, he also managed to contradict most other Metroid games, so that fits in with everything else he wrote for Other M. It's kind of amazing when you can't even write within the framework set up by a series as generally plot-light as Metroid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh, and there is absolutely no mention of the Chozo in Other M, despite it's supposedly heavy focus on revealing Samus's past.

I really wish we could've seen Samus' adoptive birdparents. Would've been more interesting than Adam somehow being ~the one father she ever had and the only one who ever understood her~.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tracula posted:

Yeah, my bad. You get a shower scene if you beat it fifty times :suicide:

I thought you were exaggerating, but nope, you literally have to beat the game fifty times to unlock a video of a showering CG woman.

edit:

quote:

the Chozo counsel her and essentially say "yo it's okay to cry but just freezing up like this isn't going to help things"

Nah it's okay. Sakamoto expertly communicated this message in Other M by making it so that the Chozo designed their adoptive kid's armor with a function that makes it evaporate whenever she panics or freezes up.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 20, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bef posted:

the gently caress is this

Scenario Director Motomu Toriyama.

edit:

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 20, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

Several good reasons why Square Enix needs to loving get rid of Motomu Toriyama and Tetsuya Nomura. They have run their course and they're starting to make some really bad garbage. In Toriyama's case it's even a little offensive.

Nomura makes some really dumb character designs, but apart from that I don't think he has been responsible for anything worse than directing a series with hilariously nonsense plots.

edit: Speaking of which, I'm kind of puzzled about his role in SE. Looking at his Wikipedia page, he had relatively small jobs for a while, then became main character designer, then suddenly got put in charge of Kingdom Hearts and now a mainline FF.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 20, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even if that happened, it would be an iOS japan-only game so we would never play it anyway.

edit:
This isn't SE, but I just remembered that capcom is actually making an awful looking phone-only BoF right now and calling it a mainline entry.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, the original NES Legend of Zelda is basically "do everything with all of your inventory on every screen until something actually works, meanwhile a crowd of almost invincible knights are going to kill you."

I played it a bit ago, and the First Quest isn't that bad. I had quite a bit of fun with it. The 2nd Quest is where it gets silly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hope your choice of routes is randomized each time. Love to see that Sakurai is reusing the Intensity system from Uprising.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That stage could be amazing depending on what they do with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Uh no offense potato but every item you listed is like 3 years + old. Mother 3 is 10 years old. Persona 4 came out in 2008. I'm sure there are fine JRPGs being released...... somewhere for something..... I don't know they're not really my thing, but your examples are a bit poo poo if you want them to be truly "recent".

Atlus RPGs like EO and most MegaTen games in general are pretty consistently good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

F. Lobot posted:

It also used modern graphics and looked, sounded, and played nothing like a Genesis game. I think they missed the point of a retro sequel.

I remember some people saying that DIMPs basically made the physics function similarly to how they did in Sonic Rush, but somehow forgot that those physics only worked because the game was built around boosting everywhere instead of momentum. They also thought a 2D game needed a homing attack for some reason.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Flytrap posted:

5 years ago

"We hate Team Sonic Dimps, make more games"!

Today

"We love Team Sonic Dimps, stop making games!

The thing with DIMPs is that they really did go south while Sonic Team got much better (then got bad again). People will argue on how fair the Rush games are, but from Advance to Rush Adventure they were making games you could understand people having a good time with. After that they just worked on making awful versions of Unleashed, Colors, and Generations for PS2, Wii, and handhelds as well as Sonic 4.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The T posted:

Rush Adventure is my favorite portable Sonic game.

I like it too, but making you grind for ship materials was a really bad move. It was a non-issue for me since I was already replaying those levels for better ranks and times, but there's really no point to collecting things for building and upgrading your boats other than padding the game. It's also a mechanic that punishes bad players that have already gotten punished with a bad stage rank with more grinding.

edit:

Cleretic posted:

I don't think they 'went south' so much as 'remained consistent while Sonic Team got way better'. They made the Advance and Rush games when Sonic Team was busy being absolute garbage, but when Sonic Team figured out how to make good Sonic games again, suddenly DIMPS' 'pretty good if low-budget' looks pretty bad in comparison.

I think Advance 1 and the Rush games still hold up as good titles, even after ST put out Colors and Generations. Their later output like Unleashed for the PS2 is just garbage. It managed to make the day stages the worse half of the game. And I didn't play their 3DS version of Generations, but for some stages they just straight-up reused the level layouts from the classic games, and I saw some original layouts where you spend time running in a straight line on flat, featureless terrain, even halfway into the game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the biggest problem is that there was a really long period that they tried to hype a small download title for a ridiculously long time with a very slow trickle of information instead of just announcing it a month before release or something. I remember there being groups of Sonic spergs debating the physics of the game based on three seconds of teaser footage for months. Then they all exploded in fury when SEGA partnered with a hotel and made a Sonic 4 themed room, which had a wallpaper that looked like the first stage and featured boosters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm mostly okay with this roster, but even as someone that loved KI:U, Dark Pit is a pretty lame choice, and it's silly that one game has bumped KI to 3 reps. Losing another original moveset stinks too, even though I never played the ICs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of Lucas' differences were in his standard moves though. I can see Ness getting PK Freeze, the one-hit PK fire, etc., but it still won't be the same.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really didn't like the idea of Jr. getting in, but he actually looks pretty neat with the clown car. I'll like it even more if the rumor that his alts are the other Koopalings turns out true.

edit: I like how he ducks down to do the thing with the tongue.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really hope that no All Star mode in the screenshots means there's at least one more character, but the pessimist in me says that could turn out to be a WiiU only mode for whatever reason.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dark Pit is pretty lame as a choice, but considering that he's a literal clone of Pit but still has a separate slot somehow, I'm betting that he's not a clone. He probably has the same weight, speed, and up-B, but all his other moves are probably different KI:U weapons. I think three reps for KI is excessive, but this would work out in representing the series' mechanics:

Pit is his KI:U version and has a few new weapons, but still represents aspects of the NES/GB games by mainly using his bow.
Dark Pit is presumably all about the various other weapon types that Uprising introduced.
Palutena uses the various power-ups you could customize yourself with.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

THE loving MOON posted:

Three, is over-representation for a game with a roster size that tops 50? :confused:

I'm not going to get in a huff about a series being over-represented, especially since I really liked KI:U, but I personally thought that one new KI rep was enough, especially since Sakurai said he has no intention of making another KI game. Wonder how the people out there who were already having a fit about how biased Sakurai is after Palutena was revealed are taking this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

You should see how angry /v/ is over Mario having seven reps. You know, Mario, the loving face of Nintendo

Possibly funnier are the people that get mad about the number of Pokemon reps, or Pokemon that they don't have nostalgia for getting in.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Oh no Fire Emblem has four slots that means I only have 46 non fire emblem characters to play as.

But Lucina obviously stole the slot reserved for Ridley!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sout posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not a massive Metroid fan, but I seriously do not get why people like Ridley so much.

It's partially a running gag at this point, but he's also pretty much the only Metroid rep you could add, unless you want to add Adam.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

Wait so we want Dark Samus put Dark Pit is lame? Make up your mind goons.

I'm okay with Dark Pit as long as he has a mostly original moveset, but at least Dark Samus isn't literally Samus but black.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That starting roster is a lot better than Brawl's "advertise Sonic on the back of the box but make you play the whole SSE to play as him" starter set.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KamikazePotato posted:

People can dislike Xenoblade or whatever, but I'm slightly annoyed by the elitist attitude some people are taking here. I've played a shitton of JRPGs from every generation and think Xenoblade is my favorite of the bunch, but apparently that's just because 'all I played this gen was FF13'?

Yeah, I don't know what that attitude's about. I'm not one to say that Xenoblade is the best thing ever, but I liked it, and I've played and enjoyed plenty of generation 7 JRPGs along with XB (if you includes handhelds, console offerings were a lot less plentiful than in the previous console generations).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

How many PS2 JRPGs were in the 100 hour range? Maybe it would take you that long to do all the crazy sidequest stuff in FFX or try to 100% a Tales game without a guide, but I can't recall anything that would take 100 hours for the average player just playing the game normally.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xad posted:

I wasn't too keen on it until I turned on the option for manual attacking. Even though it doesn't really make a difference damage-wise, I really like actually having control over when the character I'm playing as attacks, as opposed to the MMO-style "watch them attack things and you only control skills and movement." It made the combat way more fun for me.

I don't think Xenoblade lets you make the autoattacks manual. You sure you're not thinking of The Last Story?

edit:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne could run you about that long on your first playthrough, if you never played a SMT game before, and you die constantly to bosses. That's taking into account time lost due to game overs though. And demon fusing can add up more time if you get obsessive over it.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I haven't gotten around to Nocturne yet (have a PS2 copy of the game though), but I've spent plenty of time messing with fusion in the MegaTen games I've played on 3DS. I can imagine how it can be even more time consuming in the games where inherited skills are determined by rerolling over and over.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Turbo Mode is also neat because they turned it into an item.

• Locked thread