Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sakurai had better not blue-ball me again by not giving Wario some bulge action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

When you think about it, Wario Land 3 basically is Wario: Other M. He inexplicably can't use his abilities until you find random treasure chests, while in the previous game you start with all of them. What I'm saying is there's precedent for this.

The entirety of Metroid: Other M is about as good as WL3's lovely golf minigame

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I do hope the single player modes in both versions get a fair amount of depth, given the lack of Adventure Mode :(. But I don't expect any non-original, non-playable characters to appear.

I think all we know is that SSE won't come back, and thank god for that. There's nothing to suggest there can't be an adventure mode like Melee's

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Wario hangs out on Tumblr now.

http://social-justice-wario.tumblr.com/

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

check out this creepy-rear end poo poo

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Soul Calibur has characters like that, separate to the random button. Stuff like Charade in 2 and Olcadan in 3, every round you'd get given a different character's weapon.

I very much doubt that's what's happening here, and I'm pretty sure that's a hoax, but even if it wasn't I can only imagine that such a character would be ridiculously difficult to make in Smash. In Soul Calibur everyone is around the same size and shape, and the fact they're using the same weapon model probably allows for a more consistent method. With Smash you'd have to create a single character that can feasibly fight like Bowser, Pikachu, Link and Kirby.

EDIT:Why yes, I do take that to mean we should turn the Fighting Polygons into a real character for this purpose.

I remember thinking when Brawl was in the works that Ditto would be a cool gimmick fighter - he could just transform into a pink gelatinous version of a random character.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Plus Rosalina makes for an interesting Smash character what with Luma and all. The dual-character gimmick probably helped her chances

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DrPaper posted:

Really need this track in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

Don't let me down Sakurai

Alban Berg sure has gone downhill

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

So the leaker could be full of poo poo, but if he actually said the words "Mii Fighter" in the original email he could be legit, since that seems like a weird thing to guess.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Falco and Wolf will return with Landmasters. Peppy will be confirmed as well to give the cast its fourth Landmaster

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Geno posted:

what's consensus compared to melee/SSBB

floating and tripping confirmed

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

It's still possible that they'll tweak the physics based on what the competitors told them afterward. And if not, I'm sure some enterprising people can make Smash 4's answer to Project M

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

John Lee posted:

There ARE plenty of combos in Smash, they just involve the kind where you jump after your opponent, going off the platform for the chase, etc. Not just "punch, punch, down smash, throw back, down smash again." And you don't know exactly where that's going to take you, or how things'll end up, and I think that might me part of what the more competitively minded players don't like.

I think the beef that competitive players have with this, though, is that the mechanics are such that two very good players who are playing to win will play more defensively than offensively. If you can't do attack combos and dodging is really easy and effective, you'll end up with a game with a lot of hit-and-run strategies instead of beating each other up relentlessly - and I think I'm not alone when I say the latter is more exciting.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is by in large the major complaint about Brawl and some Brawl derivatives. In most situations, being aggressive was to your advantage in Melee. That really wasn't always the case in Brawl. I really liked the free-style nature of the combos in Melee and the people who could string more and more together were at a significant advantage. I'm hoping that returns in SSB4, but while it's hard to tell without actually playing it, it looks like a slower game than melee, for better or worse.

People have been saying so far that SSB4's hitstun is negligible and that there's as-yet-uncancelable lag after certain attacks and throws. But yeah, it's two days out from the first showing so I think it's premature to cry doom and gloom.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sakurai put three space animals with laser guns in the last game, there's no reason he won't put three anime dudes with swords in this game

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

The announcement has been delayed, ZeRo seems like he's really hyped about it and that he thinks it'll be "extremely" worth the wait, however long that may be.

If it's something he's this pumped about and it'll "change the metagame," I imagine it's some mechanics-related thing that competitive-oriented people will like. Cool.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Danica Patrick . . . Herself

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Colette from Tales of Symphonia used chakrams, maybe it's Namco obliquely referencing that? I dunno.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

If a Final Fantasy rep ever gets in it's going to be Cloud. :anime:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

Who remembers Smash Broters Story because it is still the best thing related to smash brothers.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I pray to Shrek every night, thanking him for the life I've been given

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Politely requesting an Amayzee Dayzee in Smash Run please, Mr. Sakurai.

That'd be cool. A rare enemy with a 90% chance of running away and a 10% chance of kicking the poo poo out of you

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This, but it uses Horn Drill once randomly while it's flopping around and instantly KOs whoever is nearby.

I remember people saying that back in the SSB64 days

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The U.S. Army
Answers the Call of Duty!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

You know who else brings the Thunder

Robin's sword is the same shape as Pikachu's tail :tinfoil:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Don't know why people think ROB will get cut. He's unique and is a cool obscure old-school character. People were saying the same thing about G&W before Brawl came out

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

He deliberately teased Palutena during that same trailer by showing a trophy of her fake self.

I think Ridley's got more than a shot. I really hope that he's in, for the sake of the people that really want him.

He's certainly got better chances now that we know the leak is wrong

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Reminds me of something I saw elsewhere that went a bit more in-depth:

I wish they would announce Fat Farting Marth and Mr. Game and Marth already

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Slur posted:

Guys when are they going to announce Don Quixote as a character he was my favourite character from Cervantes I speculate him because Mario is going through the same futile journeys he did but retold in a different manner.

It's actually going to be Cervantes from Soul Calibur

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

G&W is probably unlockable like he has been in Melee and Brawl, so they don't want to officially announce him

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

nerdbot posted:

This hasn't really stopped them from showing off other characters who have been unlockable in the past though (Luigi, Falcon, Marth, Lucario)

There's no way they'd axe G&W but it's super weird to me that they haven't given him a page yet.

It could be that those guys aren't unlockable this time, but G-dub still is

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

None of the games past SF64 have really given me what I wanted but Adventures is the only one that's bad, really. Starfox has done a lot better than Yoshi, thankfully.

I didn't mind it, but I had to remind myself that it was basically a Zelda game instead of a Starfox game. They should have just left it as "Dinosaur Planet" because the actual Starfox parts are really forced

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Calling it right now, he'll be playable in Smash 5

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

I think the next big mystery I am waiting to be resolved is Ganondorf. I wonder how much they will change him up this time, or if they just replace him with Demise or something.

Demise? Speaking of "too big"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

thanks guys, just got promoted at my job at the charmin factory

• Locked thread