Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Asuron posted:

I like the idea of For Glory but put more than Final Destination in. It actually does favour certain characters and putting maps like Battlefield in helps balance that out.

Evidently the japanese smash tournament scene pretty exclusively plays on FD, and Nintendo loves the poo poo out of Japan, so it isn't likely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

The chain chomp assist trophy got a big smile out of me. I'm surprised it wasn't in the game sooner

The chain chomp was super cool, but the mother brain laser was my favorite (and I don't even play metroid games!)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wild Knight posted:

Little mac confirmed for god tier

Online Little Mac is going to be a terror, those lag-based instant KOs will drink everyone's milkshake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SilverSupernova posted:

Then you throw in Kirby or someone else who's in the air a lot.

Counterpicking isn't really a thing in random matchmaking typically, since you rarely know who someone is going to pick before the game starts and there almost certainly won't be a rematch function for random play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Serperior would be sick as gently caress and pretty unique too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So do we know if this new one is going to have dumb poo poo like tripping? or will this be an actual game like meelee?

It basically plays slightly slower than Melee sans wavedashing/etc (who knows what hidden mechanics this one will have though), and attacks are doing closer to Melee levels of hitstun so combos are a thing again. I haven't seen anyone airdash at all in any video so who knows if it's using Melee or Brawl style stuff.

Basically it looks like a more newbie friendly melee, and I'm completely ok with that (as long as there's at least one good heavyweight character)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cleretic posted:

You got a full Charizard, what more could you possibly want?

I mean that's all well and good, but the key word there was "good"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RickDaedalus posted:

Goons not knowing anything about physical fitness isn't all that surprising.

I don't think "exercise form which is primarily employed by middle class and rich white people in the West" constitutes the entirety of physical fitness

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Dodge bullets? What? No, it's 5 minutes of Metroid and then a battle with the boosted stats.

I think he's referring to the part where each person gets simultaneous events like "kill bullet bills", but yeah that happens within the 5 minute time span, each isn't a unique event. It's basically a 5 minute dungeon crawl and then a fight.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

That's kinda silly, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 put in a mode specifically designed to be busted and stupid (the card mode, whatever it was called), and USF4 announced an "Edition Select" mode where you can use all the unbalanced characters from each version against each other. Neither are designed for tournament or competitive play, and this is no different.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Look, I'm sorry, but that's a pile of poo poo. Hey! You can change around your movesets!...but only in offline modes because we don't know how to balance it please understand

It's literally allowed online dude, just not in randoms

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, yeah I suppose I didn't see it that way. It's just something that could increase the depth of the match-ups 100-fold but if it's just something to dick around with that's fine.

That's more increasing the breadth of matchups, not their depth. Which is really a completely different thing and not inherently good either. I talked about this a bit in the last thread toward the end, but basically one of the most fun things about playing fighting games competitively (by which I mean aiming to win/improve, not literally tournament-level play) is learning matchups and using that knowledge on other people, but if there's too many characters then you can't viably learn all of the matchups, or even the basics of them if the character is rare enough. When every Mario can feasibly be one of a dozen different Mario "builds" then each of them is effectively a different character, to varying degrees. Worse yet, there's a good chance you'd have to learn on the fly and no rematch feature (since random matchmaking rarely has that and lol nintendo online) means each game would just be about trying to outgimmick your opponent since you couldn't really know anything going into the game.

This also actually punishes casual/new players more than competitive ones since they presumably play the game less and probably aren't putting the effort into system mastery. And speaking as a competitive-style player, that sucks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space T Rex posted:

I am boring and like boring stages like Smashville, but this looks fun as poo poo.

I wake up crying in a cold sweat every night, and will continue to do so until they reveal "Ganondorf Dorfs into Battle" or whatever.

Smashville owns, Ganondorf owns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Father Wendigo posted:

It looks like poo poo, the Pro-SSB people are absolute poo poo - I don't see the problem?

Actually I'm not poo poo, I'm cool and VERY strong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space T Rex posted:

Can you even imagine how satisfying it would be to Thunderthighs Stomp spike someone to death aaaaalll the way from the top left area of this map??

I've always been partial to his melee forward-air, but stomp is cool. I just love beaning someone in the dome too much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wind God Sety posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone link this gallery of new screenshots. Some stills from the Nintendo Direct, but I think a fair amount of new info there. Someone tell me if I'm crazy, but is this item the S Flag from the Tales games? Or is it from something else and I'm not recognizing it?

Some of these really own

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heatwizard posted:

I play deckbuilding card games, and the tournament scenes around those don't collapse into quivering piles of goo over the idea of sideboards; it's part of the game to be ready for your opponent bringing out a card designed to hate you, and to hate right back. If it's cumbersome to actually change your moveset around, I can see them insisting on default only, but being able to tune for the fight you're in has been done well before. It doesn't matter that you can't rematch in random matchmaking because alternate movesets are disabled for those.

Card games aren't remotely comparable, since you have an entire 20+ minute match to adjust and notice patterns. MOBAs are in the same boat. A fighting game match is over in 60-90 seconds in real time. It isn't literally impossible to adjust, but I dunno, I think you'd struggle to find many people who play competitively who think that sort of thing is good for a game's long term growth versus short term gimmick value.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bicyclops posted:

Is Ridley in the game? Unfortunately, he won't be showing up this time around.

Nah! I'm only kidding! His shadow will be featured in one of the character movies!

Kidding again! Ridley is too big.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Wii U version got delayed because they found a game-crashing bug

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space T Rex posted:

E: In other news, Kirby's Charizard Hat is adorable.

The baby!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trasson posted:

I don't see the issue. He's basically an opposite form of Jigglypuff. Where Jigglypuff is amazing in the air and practically unkillable once she can start to recover, but on the flipside has no ground game beyond "knock something into the air", Little Mac has amazing play on the ground, is nearly unkillable there with superarmor and dodge frames...but get him into the air and he's a wet paper bag with worse recovery than Melee Ganondorf. That's not really gimmicky, no more so than other Smash characters.

Ehhhh that's not really a fair comparison. I say this as someone who is definitely going to be putting Little Mac through is paces (He looks like P:M bowser!!!), but:

a) Jigglypuff's air game basically functioned as a ground game too since you can just short hop and "float" while poking with back airs and other moves against grounded/shielding enemies, and her throws weren't terrible. Little Mac can't transform his ground game into an air game in the same way.

b) Super armor doesn't make you nearly unkillable (trust me :<), especially since odds are he'll have little if no hyper armor (super armor with unlimited hit-soak). You can throw someone out of armored moves, and they're generally unsafe on block too. This probably sounds like ~*~high end comp stuff~*~ but it's actually really obvious when someone does an unsafe straight into your shield. As for dodging, any Dudley player can tell you that it just isn't something you can do all the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fox is upsmashing? Tripping on a banana? I think ZSS is like, doing an inverse cammy cannon spike?!?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So there's a Tomodachi Collection level in the 3DS version of the game, something I assumed would just be a weird thing US and EU audiences would get to mess with but wouldn't know anything about(like Marth and Roy in Melee), except apparently Tomodachi Collection is being localized, as Tomodachi Life.

And the Nintendo Direct they just released for it is really weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmx4kC0tiU

I wonder if the inclusion of it as a Smash Bros stage influenced the decision to localize it, or vice-versa?

This is really fuckin' weird.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also, everyone I know IRL went from "I'll buy the Wii U version" to "Ugh poo poo now I'm going to buy both", including myself.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Raserys posted:

I get not wanting a Wii U but why do hardcore (tm) gamers treat it like catching a disease?? Like, ughhhh poo poo I'm going to have to play a Wii u poooooooor meeeeee

Because money isn't infininte.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The GIG posted:

But if a buy a WiiU people on the internet forum of my choice might make fun of me for around a few posts or so and that's just too much.

I think it's the money thing, actually.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nerdbot posted:

Not that I disagree but this sounds like a person who has no reason to care about Smash Bros anyway.

I really don't care about nintendo franchises anymore. Believe it or not, there's people who play smash because it's a good game, not because it has their favorite characters,

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
1) There isn't any other fighting game that's remotely as good as smash that plays like it.
2) I own a Wii U because I wanted to play MH3U online.

Are you just frustrated that I recognize that not everyone has the luxury of buying a console because they want 1-2 games for it, or what? Like, I loving love smash, it's a blast to play. No other game is like it. Why are my purchasing habits an issue for you?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
VGBootCamp is streaming P:M and Melee at Civil War this weekend. It's P:M now, melee later tonight, with top 8 for both games tomorrow.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Isn't that X though?

That is not X, no. X hasn't actually ever been in a fighting game as far as I know (unless you count Zero's alt costume in MvC3).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Make it toggleable in menu like literally everything else in the game.

The audience has never been a toggle, I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unlockable characters in fighting games are sorta lame

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno, I think the game is plenty fun just to play, I don't need rewards for doing it. I've put approximately a bajillion infinity hours into smash across melee, brawl, and P:M, and I think outside of beating mewtwo when I was 14 I don't really think I've ever cared about unlocking characters outside of the inconvenience of having to do it. I like the middle ground of them being locked on the 3DS (though they really shouldn't lock anyone they announce since then it's just a boring grind) and then having them all available on the Wii U though, both because everyone would know the roster by then and because the Wii U will be the "party" console where it's more important to be able to just slap the disk in and go.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

F. Lobot posted:

Looks like other Brawl mods besides Project M are taking advantage of the clone engine. Listen at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipp6xSASWz8

This mod is pretty fun, it errs more on the silly side and says "gently caress balance, make every character fun". If Project M isn't your style then this is for you.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7266273

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space T Rex posted:

Do you think they will admit their mistake and make Ness\Lucas's up+B not total garbage? Have we seen any footage that confirms its still the same?

We haven't even seen footage of Ness or Lucas.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

did anyone ever use that projectile absorbing barrier to any great effect

the few times i ever managed to absorb something it healed me for like 2% damage. rubbish

In P:M it fucks with your air momentum and fall speed so it was good for recovering in weird and unpredictable ways. It might have done that in Brawl too, I really don't remember. Giving them a hitbox also helped a lot. Otherwise no they were pretty awful moves!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I am Reverend posted:

Lucas' magnet in Project M is so amazing. It's like Mario's cape combined with Wolf's shine and you can do that weird physics exploit where you use it after shooting a PK Freeze and you fly through the air lookin' like a wizard or some poo poo. Now I'm disappointed that in Smash 4 he's either going to be boring and awful or non-existent.

Flying around as Lucas and Dedede is basically the most fun you can have in a Smash game short of accidentally spiking someone with a Game and Watch down throw.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Noting the significant preemptive internet backlash against the idea of including Pac-Man as a playable character, Sakurai caters to his audience and announces the newest fighter, Ms. Pac-Man.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DoctorWhat posted:

Why do the MonHun people have so much power? It's huge in Japan, I know, but that seems excessive. It's not a Game Freak 2nd-party situation, is it? I thought CapCom made the MonHuns in-house.

MonHun is powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Golden Sun was pretty much the most mediocre game ever designed and I doubt I'll ever play it or any of the sequels ever again, but I wouldn't mind Issac existing because he uses magic and that's neat.

• Locked thread