Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

.TakaM posted:

The pseudo-Palutena assist trophy is interesting and ensures that her rumoured appearance will continue to grow, have they ever included an assist trophy so similar to someone on the roster?
They did show Dark Samus is an assist trophy now so it wouldn't really mean anything

edit-
Also I wonder if the Smash pros will have to get a bunch of the modded 3DSes to record fights during the time before the WiiU version is released.

I don't think it was an assist trophy, just a regular trophy. There have been varied-appearance trophies of fighters before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

New? It's the same design from 10 years ago:

There's nothing sexist about the Zero Suit, it's the only practical thing to wear underneath power armor like that. I bet Master Chief has a similar undersuit.

The problem with her new Smash Bros design is that it unrealistically accentuates her breasts while giving her extremely impractical "sexy woman" footwear.

Of course, Metroid is a series that rewards you with different sexy pin-ups based on how quickly you complete the game so this isn't really new territory for it :(

I think her design is badass but it would be better if her rocket heels were rocket boots like Sakurai said in the Direct.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

A fully-functional Pac-Man stage, with ghosts wandering around that hit players and cause damage.

Smashball appears when you eat all the dots.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Excels posted:

don't give sakurai ideas, he might put wario in high heels next

Kotaku trigger warning

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hope it's Ms. Pac-Man just to throw everyone for a loop. Also the superior game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Uh, Captain loving Planet is a fighter in that game.

It's too bad the game sucks because the concept is gold :(

They should do a sequel, but do it right this time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Why not just make DLC characters? Nintendo's finally using DLC for other games, so why not Smash?

Probably because Sakurai is a perfectionist and he's not going to want to continue obsessing over new content for the game once it ships.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I don't even play Pokemon and I have the strangest desire to buy Pikachu his Melee wizard hat. I cannot imagine it would be hard to implement. Nintendo really just has an objection to that kind of business model for whatever reason.

I think they prefer the old-school style of DLC, re-releasing old games for full price with some extra bonus content.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Smash Bros. DLC is one of those "too good to happen" things. People love new character announcements, so imagine if they could keep happening for years? It would be awesome :(.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

The Pac-Man game mechanics would translate so well to a stage and a final smash, though. The stage would be a Pac-Man maze, but vertical, and his final smash would obviously be everyone turning flashy and blue and unable to do anything except run away from Pac-Man, who then eats them.

It should be the pacman with the black eyes, though, not the blue-eyed abomination that isn't even the real Pac-Man because The real Pac-Man died fighting a ghost genocide or something

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 14, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

What the gently caress is this?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just imagine how awesome this would be as a Smash Bros. stage:

This game is so full of obscure old-school references that it's kind of absurd to use his fading popularity as an argument against him. But really, every kid would recognize this Pac-Man stage even if they'd never played the game before in their life.

But it should be this design, not the blue-eyed one.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

This would be even worse than the donkey kong stage in brawl. It would just be loving frustrating trying to KO people, there's almost no openings anywhere. It's like the terrible stage every kid made in the custom editor with only one/no openings so people just bounce around til the time runs out.

They wouldn't have to stick to that exact layout, they could add more openings. Also, imagine if Pac-Man (or Ms. Pac-Man if Pac-Man is in the battle) were running around the maze in 2D limbless form, pushing players toward the exits.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

:stare:

It's... too sexualised for any kids entertainment...

That looks a little photoshopped.

Please tell me it's photoshopped and Smash Bros. doesn't have breast physics.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

gently caress

3DS version holding back the Wii U version confirmed.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Reggie owns, that was fun.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

gently caress haters, I am pumped for Pac-Man and the inevitable Pac-Man stage.

This is literally the lamest way to reveal characters, though. Sakurai throwing shade?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Edit: nevermind

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So glad they used the correct eyes and shoes. I knew Sakurai wouldn't let me down! :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sometimes I read this thread and I wonder if the people posting on this comedy forum know what humor is.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Manoueverable posted:

Holy poo poo some of y'all are Real Fuckin Mad about people putting together initial impressions of how characters are in relation to each other :stare:

People get incredibly mad about how other people have fun. It's the entire purpose of internet forums.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, a Pokemon Trainer Assist Trophy could be cool, but rather than throw out a normal Poke Ball as the existing item, he should throw one at the nearest player. It would then capture them and the player would have a few seconds to button mash to escape, and if they fail it's a KO, with the difficulty to escape depending on your percentage. Low percent, pretty easy. High? Pretty much guaranteed.

Edit: Better yet, if the Pokemon Trainer Assist Trophy is gotten a second time in a match it has a chance (possibly 100% chance) to instead of capturing a player to temporarily release a high level CPU version of whoever it last captured.

That is such a cool idea. I think it would also be funny if other players could pick up the Pokeball while the capture player is button mashing and toss it off the stage, but maybe that would be too much.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

And it's not like you have to worry. Nintendo literally can't do anything about Project M. If they C&D it, the fallout from the player base will wreck them. If they give it their blessing, they leave a hole in the future defense of their copyrights. All Nintendo can do is pretend it doesn't exist.

Sega let a rom hacker create official ports of Sonic 2 and Sonic CD with new characters and everything. Why can't Nintendo do something similar?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Momomo posted:

I would assume it's because Project M is a direct competitor to their current game, and potentially even their new one. If they made it official, all it would do is split the user base even more.

I guess it's different when we're talking about games with online communities, but Nintendo seems happy to re-release HD versions of old games, so it would be cool if they have their blessing to let the Project M team release the official Smash Bros. Melee HD collection with bonus "Project M" remix mode.

If they waited until next year it probably wouldn't hurt Smash 4 sales at all really. Especially as a download only title.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Miis are generally underwhelming when they're integrated into games. Like in Mario Kart, where they all wear helmets and you can only see them from behind so they all look the same.

I'm excited for them to be in Smash, though, because it's supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo's history and Miis are a big part of that now.

Also, the different gameplay customization options make them really unique as fighters.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I hope it's Knuckles.

I hope it's Buff Knuckles.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Chudat plays Young Link for specific matchups, though the only one I knew about was Hungrybox's Jigglypuff

Also it's really weird that there's time after Smash on the EVO schedule dedicated to [something], and Nintendo wants to announce a new character + are sponsoring EVO, yet they aren't doing it there. Whatevs.

The reveal on Monday is for a newcomer. Maybe they're also revealing MewTwo at Evo, unannounced.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pink Gold Peach

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Naerasa posted:

If you count alt-costumes and Sheik (I do), this game has 12 female characters to choose from. Not half bad!

Maybe it's time to change the name to Super Smash Siblings.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how confused people get about Mario and Luigi at this point.

I feel like Mario and Luigi are pretty easy to tell apart. They have very different body structures and are almost color coded to an extreme degree. The Fire Emblem characters really blend together more. It's not really that hard to understand.

That said, the game is chock full of unique characters from dragons to giant electric rats to pink blobs and blue hedgehogs and giant turtles, so..... who cares? There's room for a couple anime clones.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Dude's more buff than Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, I don't know what you people are talking about. His build is nothing like Marth or Lucina's.

Oh, I actually agree with you about Ike. When they revealed is new beefier design I was happy about it for exactly this reason.

I think part of the problem, though, is the Fire Emblem clothing. It has that overly complicated "Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy" style that sort of blends together. Compare their designs to the more beloved Nintendo "anime" franchises like Zelda and you'll notice that they do a much better job creating visually distinct outfits. Link's green tunic stands out from Zelda's pink dress, even though they're both anime as hell.

Fire Emblem is all about blue and brown, though the red cape also helps.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

hot sauce posted:

Forgot to check this thread for a few days, come back to there now being 4 androgynous anime people with blue hair as characters. Is this the whole announcement or are there any other characters revealed?

There was also a Pic of the Day of a Rayman trophy which has now been overshadowed by roster slot arguments. Still wondering what was up with that???

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

It was a Rayman trophy. Not sure what else you need.

It's just really weird to have a third party trophy without any other in-game representation. Why pay royalties for something as unimportant as a trophy?

Though, yeah, I guess it might just be a trophy...

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

This reveal stoked the fires of my enthusiasm because Captain Falcon falcon-punched the leaked roster and now anything is possible.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

For those who enjoy arguing about roster slots, remember that there's always the opportunity for DLC. The roster slot debates never have to end! :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's pretty obvious that the leaker got legitimate but unreliable info. Shulk and the Chorus guy are probably in the game in some form, but they might just be assist trophies or final smashes for other characters.

Saying he obviously just guessed everything is kind of dumb and unlikely, but it's more likely that he's playing a game of internet leak telephone.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Why?

People in this thread have guessed literally everything he guessed, including guessing Avatar and Lucina which he failed to guess.

I don't get why people are so eager to defend a guy who was proven wrong. v:shobon:v

Honestly, because I don't care about Shulk or the Chorus Men and I don't want to get my hopes up that that the leak is wrong and we'll get someone more exciting like Bayonetta. The idea that the leaker is partially legitimate provides a nice middle-ground :)

But also, he's gotten too much right to just be guessing. The names "Wii Fit Trainer" and "Mii Fighter" are too specific to have been guessed. It's one thing for a thread full of people individually guessing every possible character to get some right, it's another thing for one specific person to guess every single person correctly with only one exception. And it's literally impossible for a game like this not to have legitimate leaks.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Wii Fit Trainer is literally what the character is called and "Mii Fighter" isn't hard to guess.

Also we're never getting Bayonetta because Nintendo is not going to put a real-gun-using stripper-witch in their E-rated game.

Which is more likely:

One guy blindly guesses nearly the entire roster and only makes one mistake

or

The leaked roster is based on legitimate information but not 100% reliable?

If he were guessing blindly he would have given more wrong guesses than Chrom. It's literally impossible to guess blindly with this much accuracy.

The leak is not dead, but it has been invalidated enough that anything is possible. Everyone wins! :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

I'm still waiting for a character called 'Pokemon from X and Y.'

Okay well you're clearly attached to the idea that leaks are either 100% accurate or 100% pure guesswork with no room for anything in-between. If the Chorus Men from Rhythm heaven are in we will finally have our definitive answer I guess :shrug:

I genuinely hope the leak is wrong, though. Shulk is so boring :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Not really though because he still could have guessed that one.

You are silly :)

• Locked thread