Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

It's not sarcasm when it's something I've heard / read being uttered seriously before.

Okay so you also don't understand how sarcasm or parody works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Tesseraction posted:

Her teachers.

OwlFancier posted:

Her own effort, most probably.

So much saltiness I can almost taste it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OhYeah posted:

It's kind of lovely to presume to take credit for your daughter's hard work.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tesseraction posted:

That's not what milquetoast means, nor a particularly 'civil' form of discourse. All that was said was the positions put forward make the person a lovely parent, which you failed to counter with anything more than crying about it. They said nothing of whether they deserved to live, stop imagining things through the tears.

This is why nobody takes idiots seriously.

how do those positions make that person a lovely parent?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
EuroPol: it's always those loving eastern europeans ruining everything

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

That's not what milquetoast means, nor a particularly 'civil' form of discourse. All that was said was the positions put forward make the person a lovely parent, which you failed to counter with anything more than crying about it. They said nothing of whether they deserved to live, stop imagining things through the tears.

This is why nobody takes idiots seriously.

OhYeah never insulted anybody that I know of, and never wished harm on anybody, and never denigrated anybody on a personal level irrelevant to the current issue. Amazingly the guy who chooses to be ignorant about social issues ends up being better adjusted than supposed defenders of social liberties.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

I like how you take all the credit for the positives of your daughter but I can bet 100% you will attribute any negative traits you see in her to other people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Whorelord posted:

how do those positions make that person a lovely parent?

When did I argue that such positions did? I criticised imagined extrapolations on a post, not necessarily agreed with its content.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Okay so you also don't understand how sarcasm or parody works.

WHen some anonymous guy posts plausible poo poo on an internet forum, I have no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt that would be required for this "parody" to work. Similar to how people denounce racist "jokes" regardless of how the author chooses to defend them post hoc.

Whorelord posted:

For what it's worth, I do not think you are a bad parent and even if I did I would not use it as an ad hominem argument on the internet :)

But you see, it is your social responsibility to be act in an abrasive, vile manner towards others.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 7, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

OhYeah posted:

For what it's worth, I do not think you are a bad parent and even if I did I would not use it as an ad hominem argument on the internet :)

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Saxony has some trouble with a "problem wolf" right now. The wolf has lost any fear of humans and has been seen following around people, looking all shifty and like he is up to no good. Once he was sighted sleeping at the fence of a refugee center!

The wildlife ministry has put out an APB on the wolf and was looking for it all day with a plane. Turns out that he has a transmitter implanted and it's strong enough to be picked up from the plane, so they just circled around different forests all day with it. I'll keep the thread informed on any new developments, but they probably stopped the search for the night, because it's too dark to see the forests.

http://m.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/a-1080936.html

The return of wolves is a good thing and can only be cheered. Just look at that adorable thing!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

OhYeah never insulted anybody that I know of, and never wished harm on anybody, and never denigrated anybody on a personal level irrelevant to the current issue. Amazingly the guy who chooses to be ignorant about social issues ends up being better adjusted than supposed defenders of social liberties.

You see the ? beside his posts? Try clicking that. Not to say he's consistently wrong but you chose a relatively innocuous post to draw your line in the sand over with regards to "loving progressives :argh:"

It's a drive-by insult in a thread full of racism, ignorance and hyperbole. Find a better hill to die on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To save a bit of effort I'm not being sarcastic except for the best argument for feminism bit. Social customs are dumb because they discourage men from developing an appropriate degree of emotional awareness and ability to talk meaningfully about their life experiences even on a day to day level.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

WHen some anonymous guy posts plausible poo poo on an internet forum, I have no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt that would be required for this "parody" to work. Similar to how people denounce racist "jokes" regardless of how the author chooses to defend them post hoc.

"I have no obligation to" followed by how unironically angry you are at someone's opinion is entirely the past 10... maybe 30 pages of this thread. Stop pretending you're above the fray when you're wholly part of the exact same poop-smeared slap-fight.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

OwlFancier posted:

To save a bit of effort I'm not being sarcastic except for the best argument for feminism bit. Social customs are dumb because they discourage men from developing an appropriate degree of emotional awareness and ability to talk meaningfully about their life experiences even on a day to day level.

"There have been 13645 posts made by OwlFancier, an average of 14.71 posts per day, since registering on Aug 22, 2013"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

You see the ? beside his posts? Try clicking that. Not to say he's consistently wrong but you chose a relatively innocuous post to draw your line in the sand over with regards to "loving progressives :argh:"

It's a drive-by insult in a thread full of racism, ignorance and hyperbole. Find a better hill to die on.

Insulting a person through their family is not innocuous, it's scum behaviour.

Tesseraction posted:

"I have no obligation to" followed by how unironically angry you are at someone's opinion is entirely the past 10... maybe 30 pages of this thread. Stop pretending you're above the fray when you're wholly part of the exact same poop-smeared slap-fight.

If anything I'm admitting that I'm part of this poo poo show because I'm not willing to show basic good will towards other participants.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

EuroPol: it's always those loving eastern europeans ruining everything

For what it's worth I think you're a pretty decent poster too, even if we don't always agree on things. I just didn't have you come to mind when I made the previous post on the subject.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

Saxony has some trouble with a "problem wolf" right now. The wolf has lost any fear of humans and has been seen following around people, looking all shifty and like he is up to no good. Once he was sighted sleeping at the fence of a refugee center!

The wildlife ministry has put out an APB on the wolf and was looking for it all day with a plane. Turns out that he has a transmitter implanted and it's strong enough to be picked up from the plane, so they just circled around different forests all day with it. I'll keep the thread informed on any new developments, but they probably stopped the search for the night, because it's too dark to see the forests.

http://m.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/a-1080936.html

Sadly I don't think Problemwolf is quite as good as Problembär

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

OwlFancier posted:

It's kind of lovely to presume to take credit for your daughter's hard work.

Have you raised any children? Parental support is kind of important for a child. But I don't need any credit, really. Seeing her growing up is enough for me.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know if you are trying to insult me or give me compliment. It is very confusing but kind of exciting at the same time. :)

PS. You are kind of right that I choose to be ignorant about social issues. If more people did that we would live in a happier world.

PPS. This is literally nothing compared to the infamous ScandiPol thread. Like I'm smiling through this thread, drinking wine and listening to The Clash and generally having a good time.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, this evening has almost brought us to the 'Finnish containment zone' thread rating, but we've still got a long way to go until we reach the bile of the 'Racial reparations' thread.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Insulting a person through their family is not innocuous, it's scum behaviour.

He has several times brought up his daughter as a rhetorical shield against perceived misogyny. If he does so, someone is within their rights to criticise his ability as a parent. Note that at no point has someone insulted his daughter, and in fact the person who has most problematically done so is OhYeah for taking credit for all her positive traits as if he alone contributed and she somehow didn't.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tesseraction posted:

For what it's worth I think you're a pretty decent poster too, even if we don't always agree on things. I just didn't have you come to mind when I made the previous post on the subject.

Awww, thanks. I'd say you're pretty decent yerself, but then again I say that for anyone who can give a compliment to someone with whom they don't quite fully agree.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

PS. You are kind of right that I choose to be ignorant about social issues. If more people did that we would live in a happier world.

-ibn Saud

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Awww, thanks. I'd say you're pretty decent yerself, but then again I say that for anyone who can give a compliment to someone with whom they don't quite fully agree.

I like talking to people I don't agree with, as long as they're a civil conversationalist. I take issue with certain others in this thread that move immediately into childish insults and whining about 'the left' or 'the progressives' or hell even 'the right' and 'the conservatives' - complain about a drat idea you fuckers!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I sort of like this thread because people in it have realized Europe is a real thing that exists! Good job thread!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we legislate to change that?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I like how you take all the credit for the positives of your daughter but I can bet 100% you will attribute any negative traits you see in her to other people.

No I'm pretty sure that everything people consider wrong with her (being overly critical and introverted for example) is also at least partly my doing. I'm working on it. She has to come out of her shell because her work simply requires it.

The Belgian posted:

The return of wolves is a good thing and can only be cheered. Just look at that adorable thing!

Wolves are awesome.

Unless you own some chickens, in which case it can suck sometimes.

OwlFancier posted:

I do agree with this almost completely. Can we be friends again OwnFancier? I will buy you dinner when you come to Estonia and show you around our super cool Old Town.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

No I'm pretty sure that everything people consider wrong with her (being overly critical and introverted for example) is also at least partly my doing. I'm working on it. She has to come out of her shell because her work simply requires it.

Regardless of our animosity, if you ever want advice we'd be happy to help.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rollofthedice posted:

This is a good point. Nobody should post on this thread, ever again.
There are in fact quite a lot of interesting (and rather alarming!) things happening in European politics at the moment. Having a thread to talk about them is cool and good as long as people don't poo poo it up with massive multi-page derails.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Regardless of our animosity, if you ever want advice we'd be happy to help.

I wouldn't mind some advice. Are you a teenage girl? How can I get her more interested in social interaction instead of studying?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

There are in fact quite a lot of interesting (and rather alarming!) things happening in European politics at the moment. Having a thread to talk about them is cool and good as long as people don't poo poo it up with massive multi-page derails.

I'm so sorry, LemonDrizzle. This isn't actually the worst derail I've seen on SA before. I think it was like a year ago in the Eastern European thread where the OP went away for a half a day or so and came back to 500 new posts of some utterly ridiculous nonsense, I can't even remember what it was. He literally thought that he somehow managed to miss the beginning of World War III but everyone was just discussing gay teddybears or whatever the gently caress it was.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

I wouldn't mind some advice. Are you a teenage girl? How can I get her more interested in social interaction instead of studying?

Hah, I am not a teenage girl but I'm from a worryingly large family that may well have someone who can provide the answer. What's her particular reason for choosing studying over social interaction? If it's about career prospects then having her look into extra-curricular activities can be a fantastic way of using something useful for their CV to force them into something social. Especially acting or music. You say she plays instruments, is she not part of the local/regional orchestra? That poo poo is golden on applications.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Hah, I am not a teenage girl but I'm from a worryingly large family that may well have someone who can provide the answer. What's her particular reason for choosing studying over social interaction? If it's about career prospects then having her look into extra-curricular activities can be a fantastic way of using something useful for their CV to force them into something social. Especially acting or music. You say she plays instruments, is she not part of the local/regional orchestra? That poo poo is golden on applications.

She plays in the school orchestra and sometimes plays with our ensemble of teachers and parents (we are into early music). As for her (potential) career, it's just something that requires her to be outgoing and sociable, which she is not. She has become more open in the last few trips she did by herself but there is still room for improvement. Other than that, the school is simply the most important thing to her. She loves getting good grades and probably wants to get that medal.

As for her social life, I think her issue is the she seems kind of serious so most boys wont approach her. I've said to her that if you see someone that you like just go speak to him but she feels like it should be the boys who make the first move.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

EuroPol: free advice on raising your teenage daughter itt

that's actually a huge improvement, so please don't take this post as criticism

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's going to university, right? Most likely the issues you're worrying about there, especially the whole 'boys make the first move' thing is helped when they are away from their hometown and so don't tangentially know anyone who would otherwise try talking to her.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

She's going to university, right? Most likely the issues you're worrying about there, especially the whole 'boys make the first move' thing is helped when they are away from their hometown and so don't tangentially know anyone who would otherwise try talking to her.

Nope, she is still in high school, one and half years until she finishes it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

Nope, she is still in high school, one and half years until she finishes it.

Speaking from the experience of my family, those years are where you see them flourish socially. I just recommend she goes to one that isn't just the next town over.

High school is a hell of a lot more stressful time, so I can understand a lack of social butterfly desires if you want good grades.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking from the experience of my family, those years are where you see them flourish socially. I just recommend she goes to one that isn't just the next town over.

High school is a hell of a lot more stressful time, so I can understand a lack of social butterfly desires if you want good grades.

I guess you're right and that's the stance we've taken. We'll just let her finish school and see how it goes from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OhYeah posted:

I guess you're right and that's the stance we've taken. We'll just let her finish school and see how it goes from there.

I hope her all the best, regardless of our previous and future headbuttings. :)

• Locked thread