Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargo posted:

John Krasinski has not done anything noteworthy other than be Jim and the voice on the esurance commercials.

Remember when he was rumored to be playing Captain America for a hot minute, that's a really weird bit of alternate casting to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Remember when he was rumored to be playing Captain America for a hot minute, that's a really weird bit of alternate casting to think about.

I can just imagine the end shot now. Nick Fury comes out of the shadows to tell him about The Avengers, and then...

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Supercar Gautier posted:

There were some weird choices in season 1 of P&R, like how the camera kept cutting to these blank shots of rooms and hallways with nothing but ambient audio:

I liked early Parks and Rec way better than current Parks and Rec. I just thought it was more interesting when everyone hated Leslie because she was an annoying pain.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you hate Leslie and want everyone on the show to hate her too then you're a weirdo I don't want to know.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargo posted:

I knew Jim Halpert, sir, and you are no Jim Halpert.

It's interesting how they totally refuse to even acknowledge that he was on the show now. Like when Ann was listing her boyfriends she's had it skipped him.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you hate Leslie and want everyone on the show to hate her too then you're a weirdo I don't want to know.

Man, this is reminding me how weird it was watching Community gang up on Britta. Like, not just the characters in the show, but it seemed like the show itself had it out for her, too. Meanwhile, Parks and Rec does pretty much the exact same gag, but balances it out by making sure that we see that Jerry is an absolutely lovely human being with a great life and a loving family. A big strength of Parks and Rec is that it's never mean, it's always rooting for its characters.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The only bad thing about Parks & Rec is people online acting like Ron Swanson is a role model. I mean, I enjoy the character, but I certainly wouldn't want to be him.

Duke Silver, on the other hand....

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Parmesan Basil posted:

I liked early Parks and Rec way better than current Parks and Rec. I just thought it was more interesting when everyone hated Leslie because she was an annoying pain.

Supercar Gautier posted:

In his defense, early Leslie IS an annoying pain because she's just girl-Michael Scott. Eventually they realize they don't need to have girl Michael Scott and then they level her out and then she becomes awesome.

Also, the best thing about Parks and Rec is that the actor who plays Perd Hapley is actually a real-life LA news reporter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vargo posted:

Also, the best thing about Parks and Rec is that the actor who plays Perd Hapley is actually a real-life LA news reporter.

People know they're in for a good ride with Fast Five when one of the first things that happens is Perd Hapley reporting on a car crash.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I just caught up on the last few pages of the thread, so it's been a while since this conversation, but the fact that anyone finds Mud to be a better movie than Joe and Take Shelter is mind-boggling to me.

Joe is still in my top two or three of the year.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The only bad thing about Parks & Rec is people online acting like Ron Swanson is a role model. I mean, I enjoy the character, but I certainly wouldn't want to be him.

Duke Silver, on the other hand....

The whole deal with Ron is that he is unreasonably fixated on masculinity and its aesthetic signifiers, which utterly damages his ability to deal maturely with anything outside a very narrow comfort zone. The man can't even bring himself to eat a banana!

He's certainly brimming with his own kind of charm, but anyone impressed by his raw and real masculinity or whatever is such a silly person.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The whole deal with Ron is that he is unreasonably fixated on masculinity and its aesthetic signifiers, which utterly damages his ability to deal maturely with anything outside a very narrow comfort zone. The man can't even bring himself to eat a banana!

He's certainly brimming with his own kind of charm, but anyone impressed by his raw and real masculinity or whatever is such a silly person.

Well, I think part of it is also the Libertarianism thing. Certainly plenty of those folk online.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Parks and Rec got a lot better once it stopped trying to be The Office and became it's own thing.

I don't try to bring up politics in this thread because it's a pretty chill place and I'd rather argue about Prometheus than things like gun control or whatever, but every time the GOP tries to reach out to millennials it's loving hilarious and I had to share both this and this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Supercar Gautier posted:

The man can't even bring himself to eat a banana!

That scene was actually pretty brilliant, what with him immediately feeling unclean when "banana stuff" rubbed off on him when he touched it, the back and forth of trying to force it in his mouth, and finally he's only able to complete the task by stuffing the banana inside a burger.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Crappy Jack posted:

Meanwhile, Parks and Rec does pretty much the exact same gag, but balances it out by making sure that we see that Jerry is an absolutely lovely human being with a great life and a loving family. A big strength of Parks and Rec is that it's never mean, it's always rooting for its characters.

People making GBS threads on Jerry is the worst part because it seems so wildly out of place with the rest of the show. They have several episodes where they learn "hey let's stop being jerks to Jerry." But then he does something minor and cue a half-minute of otherwise good-natured characters acting like utter shitheads.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I just caught up on the last few pages of the thread, so it's been a while since this conversation, but the fact that anyone finds Mud to be a better movie than Joe and Take Shelter is mind-boggling to me.

Joe is still in my top two or three of the year.

Most definitely in my top 5. Probably ranks right behind Under the Skin and Calvary, right about on par with Enemy.

Feels like it'd make a good double feature with Calvary, actually.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Parks and Rec got a lot better once it stopped trying to be The Office and became it's own thing.

I don't try to bring up politics in this thread because it's a pretty chill place and I'd rather argue about Prometheus than things like gun control or whatever, but every time the GOP tries to reach out to millennials it's loving hilarious and I had to share both this and this.

It's just hilarious to me that their image is so bad amongst young people that they're literally making ads assuring people they aren't inhuman monsters. The fact that they're failing is even more hilarious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

"Republicans Read The New York Times In Public" :wtc:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most definitely in my top 5. Probably ranks right behind Under the Skin and Calvary, right about on par with Enemy.

Feels like it'd make a good double feature with Calvary, actually.

Throw in a Blue Ruin and that's legit my list too.

Joe and Calvary are both movies that almost crescendo in my mind after seeing them. They stuck with me so much.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
did someone say dredd?

i'll talk about dredd all day. i'll also talk about how unforgiving and reprehensible lena headey is as ma-ma and why's she's one of the best villains in a long, long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

axleblaze posted:

It's just hilarious to me that their image is so bad amongst young people that they're literally making ads assuring people they aren't inhuman monsters. The fact that they're failing is even more hilarious.

It's even better than the last time the GOP tried this kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qLYZPAQB8

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

I stopped watching Parcs & Rec the season when the two towns merged, because for some reason the sight of Leslie being a sort of Sisyphus figure trying to do good for the ungrateful people of Pawnee for the 10th time wasn't funny anymore. Is the season up in Netflix better in that regard?

You're wrong it's always great and I love it and I want to live in Pawnee.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One of my favorite parts of Parks and Rec is the weird little quirks of Pawnee residents that are baffling to outsiders, like using AltaVista and putting their entire mouth over a water fountain spigot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Coffee And Pie posted:

One of my favorite parts of Parks and Rec is the weird little quirks of Pawnee residents that are baffling to outsiders, like using AltaVista and putting their entire mouth over a water fountain spigot.

See also Li'l Sebastian

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parks & Rec is loving hilarious and The Office is an awful, awful show.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It just seems like living in Pawnee would be like walking into a minefield for me, as a man, named Jerry.

Who likes calzones.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Coffee And Pie posted:

"Republicans Read The New York Times In Public" :wtc:

There is a significant portion of the conservative population that regards the New York Times as a liberal rag that makes poo poo up to bash Republicans, as opposed to a really good newspaper which is what it actually is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

There is a significant portion of the conservative population that regards the New York Times as a liberal rag that makes poo poo up to bash Republicans, as opposed to a really good newspaper which is what it actually is.

The New York Times is decent, but they are so loving pro-establishment it's a little sickening.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

That probably makes sense, I don't think I've seen my (super conservative) parents reading anything besides the NY Post and Daily News.

FishBulb posted:

It just seems like living in Pawnee would be like walking into a minefield for me, as a man, named Jerry.

Who likes calzones.

Calzones are dope. And I never really felt bad for Jerry, especially considering he has a beautiful wife and family (around whom he isn't clumsy at all) and has "the largest penis I've ever seen."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The best part of season six of Parks and Rec is the running gag around Jerry's name.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Parks & Rec has a surreal nature to it that works really well, the Jerry thing included.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa Saperstein uber alles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRF8pEEeO8

Edit: can't forget Mr. Saperstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEzXF7t3_A

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah the Saperstein family have crept into being some of my favorite characters. I like that Jean Ralphio is an awful alternate universe Andrew Garfield.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

The New York Times is decent, but they are so loving pro-establishment it's a little sickening.

This is a fair point. And they also pulled that "he was no angel" bullshit with the Michael Brown shooting. But as far as American mainstream news sources go they're better than most anything else I've seen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Voodoofly posted:

Jean-Ralphio starting and losing the accountant job in one-take is one of my favourite things ever. Jean-Ralphio is amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is a fair point. And they also pulled that "he was no angel" bullshit with the Michael Brown shooting. But as far as American mainstream news sources go they're better than most anything else I've seen.

Their coverage of Occupy, and especially the grotesque abuses of the NYPD was equally terrible and they sat on a major Bush scandal until after the 2004 election was over.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa are definitely among the best secondary characters on the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdchLT81ygc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOdEyRRORo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2Q-Mh4j8M
https://vimeo.com/65222608

Jenny Slate is my favorite :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

Their coverage of Occupy, and especially the grotesque abuses of the NYPD was equally terrible and they sat on a major Bush scandal until after the 2004 election was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsiBl2CaDFg

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Jerry is this ditsy blond klutz archetype shifted onto a heavyset dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does anyone know of a better website than imdb to use to make a list of movies to watch?

I have a stack of papers filled with movie titles* by my home computer and I should probably digitize it before my girlfriend trashes it.

*Thanks CineD

• Locked thread