Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Anyone knows what Buster Keaton movie is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I always find it slightly silly when people complain about bias in modern media, because it implies there was time when media wasn't biased. Fox News isn't bad because of the right wing bias, it's bad because of lovely reporting and letting that bias get in the way of the truth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The news, is bad

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I always find it slightly silly when people complain about bias in modern media, because it implies there was time when media wasn't biased. Fox News isn't bad because of the right wing bias, it's bad because of lovely reporting and letting that bias get in the way of the truth.

I'm not sure how much I can get behind this logic. School shootings are awful even if people killing kids, including kids killing each other, is a reality older than our species. I'm not willing to accept that we can't do better even if we never have.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The news, is bad

It is.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The news, is bad

Critical analysis of mass mediums/the news - a-la Marshall McLuhan - is important and dope though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The end of the Unity Concert is the best thing this show has ever done. Goddamn.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Critical analysis of mass mediums/the news - a-la Marshall McLuhan - is important and dope though.

eh.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vincent posted:

Anyone knows what Buster Keaton movie is this from?

I think that's The High Sign.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not sure how much I can get behind this logic. School shootings are awful even if people killing kids, including kids killing each other, is a reality older than our species. I'm not willing to accept that we can't do better even if we never have.

I don't think Fox News is as bad as Sandy Hook and am a little weirded out that you would compare the two (don't get me wrong, Fox news sucks, but it isn't dozens of dead children sucks). My point is that journalists should embrace their bias and be upfront about it. Pretending there is some sort of achievable ideal of unbiased journalism leads to worse journalism. Fox is vilified for their political beliefs when they should be vilified for their shoddy reportage, and it makes it easier to dismiss good reporting when it has on obvious bias.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Fox News is as bad as Sandy Hook

you don't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If O'Reily or Malkin brutally murders a dozen kindergartners I'll likely change my opinion, but for the moment, yeah.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shut the gently caress up about dumb bullshit let's talk about Parks and Rec some more. For starters,

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literally The Worst posted:

Shut the gently caress up about dumb bullshit let's talk about Parks and Rec some more. For starters,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToMbp7VgoRc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The end of the Unity Concert is the best thing this show has ever done. Goddamn.

It really is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbBGrBxRhs

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Fox News is as bad as Sandy Hook and am a little weirded out that you would compare the two (don't get me wrong, Fox news sucks, but it isn't dozens of dead children sucks). My point is that journalists should embrace their bias and be upfront about it. Pretending there is some sort of achievable ideal of unbiased journalism leads to worse journalism. Fox is vilified for their political beliefs when they should be vilified for their shoddy reportage, and it makes it easier to dismiss good reporting when it has on obvious bias.

Fox News bias has lead to a top-down commandment to not allow on-air discussion of gun control in relation to school shootings. I don't think it's outrageous to have the two in the same conversation. Which goes to the point: their reporting is bad (they don't investigate relevant aspects of issues) because, at least in part, of their bias. I don't see how you can disentangle the two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LQV_OQ_Sc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I thought the Joe Biden cameo in season five was the best thing the show had ever done, then I thought it was the Michelle Obama cameo in season six but no it's that concert.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g7R3_hgEoI

I used to really dislike Adam Scott but he grew on me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttE0YqCwfE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I fo agree that hand waving away Fox News' bias because "all news is bias" is kind of dumb. Fox News doesn't do bad reporting in a vacuum. They do bad reporting because they have a narrative they're tryign to push and they only report things that fit that narrative or will flat out make stuff up. It's not bias and separate bad reporting, it's bad reporting that's because of the bias.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any of the scenes with Cones of Dunshire are very uncomfortable for me because it's loosely based on Settlers of Catan visually and then it's basically just a million things slammed together and I know the kind of people who would get off on that game and I hate them and want them to die a slow painful death because people who get really into Settlers are basically the scum of the earth and if they all caught fire instantly I would warm my hands on the flames.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm not gonna click a single one of these Parks and Rec videos.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

Also I'm not gonna click a single one of these Parks and Rec videos.

Your loss.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Any of the scenes with Cones of Dunshire are very uncomfortable for me because it's loosely based on Settlers of Catan visually and then it's basically just a million things slammed together and I know the kind of people who would get off on that game and I hate them and want them to die a slow painful death because people who get really into Settlers are basically the scum of the earth and if they all caught fire instantly I would warm my hands on the flames.

One day you should sit down and make a list of everything you hate.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't ever really watch the tv news but it's usually on at the gym and the thing that gets me about Fox is that everything is BREAKING NEWS or a FOX NEWS ALERT! it just seems kinda like maybe they are expanding the usage of those terms further than they should?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

They made a playable version for some convention.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Krangdar posted:

One day you should sit down and make a list of everything you hate.

1) YuGiOh and its players
2) Liquid soap
3) Nonfat dairy creamer
4) People who get really into Settlers

I got a text one Sunday afternoon from the store manager. I had miraculously managed to get a Sunday off and he was running the events. He wanted to know why we ran tournaments for people who did nothing but bitch and hate each other, and I knew instantly that it was one of the Sundays we were running a Settlers tournament that month.

FishBulb posted:

They made a playable version for some convention.

GenCon, I'm assuming, since that's the biggest tradgames convention.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I'll watch the show when I watch the show. I'm not really interested in watching a bunch of out of context clips that are being posted in here.

Meanwhile, Clickhole is still good

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

1) YuGiOh and its players
2) Liquid soap
3) Nonfat dairy creamer
4) People who get really into Settlers

I meant a complete list.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8tCQ5NunY

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I meant a complete list.

I think it would be easier to just list the things he likes, but we already know that complete list so it would be pointless for him to do so.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Krangdar posted:

I meant a complete list.

I mean there's a limit to the number of characters I can fit into a single post.

This bears repeating: This was my life. These were the people I talked to every day.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
There was a re-run of Boy Meets Word on TV the other day with what must have been 17-year-old Adam Scott. He looked exactly the same.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reminder that Adam Scott circa 1997 plays an immortal villain with an atrocious hairdo in Hellraiser: Bloodlines

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reminder that Adam Scott circa 1997 plays an immortal villain with an atrocious hairdo in Hellraiser: Bloodlines

Please don't remind people that Bloodlines exists.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I'm with you, Settlers of Catan loving blows. Then again, I think Monopoly is a trash game for dumpster people, so maybe I'm immature. But whatever, Scattergories is more fun than either.

Vargo posted:

There was a re-run of Boy Meets Word on TV the other day with what must have been 17-year-old Adam Scott. He looked exactly the same.

Ice Town Costs Ice Clown His Town Crown

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Please don't remind people that Bloodlines exists.

It's the third-best Hellraiser movie. Let that sink in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2F0InfaKOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hating monopoly is perfectly normal

• Locked thread