Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I pity everyone in here praising Chipotle while having never eaten a Pancheros burrito. Pancheros is the manna from which all other burritos shy away, for fear of being completely overshadowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Real Steel is the best Rocky movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

Because white people are afraid of eating at the "dirty" mexican place instead of the clean corporate place. The same reason Panda Express exists really.

I mean, Panda is just a mass-marketed version of American Chinese cuisine, which is why I don't feel bad saying that their Orange Chicken is almost definitely laced with crack, because it is amazing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Giving TV viewers exactly what they want led to Agents of Shield, so I'm gonna say Weiner is in the right here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Vargo, I finally watched Frozen tonight, and I caught this post from early on the movie's thread:

Vargo posted:

The whole soundtrack is available on Spotify now. Which caused me to go and listen to "Defying Gravity", and... I actually think "Let It Go" is better.

And I'm gonna have to ask you return your ears to the proper authorities, because you just lost the right to use them. For all of the complaints one can level at Wicked, and there are a number, if you don't get chills down your spine, bumps on your arm, and randomly stand and applaud at the final note of that song, you have no soul. Let It Go doesn't come close.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh my god it beat 12 Years a Slave.

I went to church today with my family while I'm in town visiting, and I'll be damned if the the church's movie group, Films for Fun and Faith, isn't meeting to discuss that very movie. I dunno if "fun" is the word I'd use to describe 12 Years a Slave.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geekboy posted:

It absolutely was.

I'm not really into dudes. Much less awkward movie nerd dudes. At least not romantically.

Then what the gently caress are you doing here?

That is what we're all here for, right?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I, even as someone who is genuinely excited for their fourth San Diego Comic-Con this summer, will probably never step foot in PAX.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hewlett posted:

It'll be really fun when I find drunken excuses to try to change the subject to messy plugs for Alcohollywood. "WHAT AM I EVEN DOING HERE?!"

Shouldn't the excuse just be "Sorry, I'm durnk. and speaking of durnk, i podcast listen movies!"

That would be the best panel ever.

edit: Y'know, the Anchorman 2 bluray has three different versions included in the movie. How long until we get a movie where they just release all of the footage and say "gently caress it, see if you can make a better movie".

I think they were gonna do a remix of Spring Breakers in that fashion, which would be the greatest thing ever and I'm so sad we have heard nothing since then.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People can disparage going to cons all they want, and I see a lot of the criticism, but in 2012, when I was sitting in Hall H and they unveiled that amazing loving Godzilla teaser that no one else got to see for almost literally a year, and the entire place went nuts like their football team just won the Super Bowl, it justified why I go. That sort of thing cannot be replicated, especially not watching lovely quality cam-rips 2 months after the fact.

Also, it's an excuse to spend time in San Diego, which furthers my belief that heaven is on earth, and probably located on the coast of California.

edit: Also, I've met a boatload of very nice people, many of whom I'm now friends with and keep in touch with, and some of whom I will hit up for connections if I ever move out to California.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cat doter posted:

Those nice warm feelings are cool and all but I'm not really the sort of person that can feel positive about an extreme reaction to a trailer, any trailer. Trailers suck.

I'm a sucker for a good trailer, but it wasn't even really a trailer in the traditional sense, because it was made before the movie was fully written, cast, and was released essentially as a "we're making this" announcement. It's a mood piece more than anything, to show that they're making a Godzilla, it's going to be serious, and it will gently caress your poo poo up. Like a 2 minute short film, starring a CGI devastated city, Godzilla, and Robert Oppenheimer's voice.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

This might be the year I go to C2E2, but all I really want to do is buy some cheap trade paperbacks. Is that even possible at those things?

If it's at all similar to SDCC, pick up a ticket for Sunday, which is when everyone is trying to get rid of as much poo poo as possible. You might be able to haggle some pretty good deals.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
About to make you all real jealous: Look at all of these awesome things I have access to living in the midwest.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

I'm not familiar with most of these, but Steak n Shake is the best.

I haven't eaten at all of them, but Lou Malnati's and Portillo's are valid excuses for moving to Chicago, Pancheros is the best White Person Burrito place on the earth, Pizza Ranch is the most Iowa pizza restaurant ever (great BBQ chicken, all-you-can-eat buffet), and Happy Joe's is just fun. Culver's has some really good fast food burgers too.

They're missing Casey's for their pizza, but that's really love it or hate it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Clumsy posted:

Next time I'm in the US I am going to eat something called "chicken fried steak," I don't know how you chicken fry a steak. Also dessert pizza, which obviously doesn't exist despite TwistedLadder's insistence.

I literally ate chicken fried steak this morning for breakfast. It's good, you just pound a steak real thin, batter it and fry it, as if it were chicken. Top this with delicious sausage gravy.

Also, desert pizza owns, but it might be the most midwestern thing ever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

Chicken-fried steak is good, but I prefer chicken-fried chicken.

The real question is, how do you make steak-fried chicken?

(it would be undercooked as poo poo is the answer)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I'm pretty sure a cast iron pan can be used to cook anything and has purposes beyond cooking. I've made good pizza in there.

Cast iron is God's gift to chefs.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

He's just a shrimp predator

The article posted in the Comic Book movie thread pointed out that the lawyer who represents the victim also represented the people who accused Kevin Clash of a similar crime, and I don't think anything ever came of that, because I think it was later proven to have been consensual/after 18 when the sex happened.

I could be horribly wrong.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm taking a break now, but I got a job as an overnight baker at a large grocery store, which sounded awesome, but my brain is having a visceral negative reaction to being here, and there is no way I will be coming back for another shift. I hate that I don't like it, because I thought baking was something I enjoyed, but now I'm not sure. Luckily, I already have one awesome job that I wouldn't give up for the world , otherwise I'd have to just keep going until I found something better.

I think it's the size. In a huge gently caress-off store like this, it's completely impersonal, and I just can't do that. I like working places where I know the manager and everyone working and I can jump in and do other things if necessary , like my current awesome job. This just feels like I'm stumbling through and have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing.

edit: I will be keeping this bitchin' hat though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bowmore posted:

Ever thought of starting your own bakery?

Every day, man. I actually have a stage tomorrow at a smaller bakery that seems like it would be much less stressful. I'd like to think that at some point I will open a food joint of some sort, just because of how much I love to cook and bake when I have fun, and the sense of community that the best eateries have. I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what I want to do with my life, and that is still on the table. Right along with politician, television writer, and Huntington's Disease spokesperson.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The worst part is that in the back of my mind, I knew this was gonna happen. In my interview they asked if I had any potential concerns about working here, and I said exactly what would happen. It's like the Month I worked at Wal-Mart, except slightly less awful by virtue of not being walmart. As it stands now, Blockbuster ranks in the upper half of jobs I've had, and that's kinda sad. Though not unsurprising, consisting the perks, and how little work I actually had to do. Clearly this means I should only work places where movies are involved, because that's where I've been happiest.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

Blockbuster would have been my dream job, but sadly by the time I turned 16 they were all but extinct.

Blockbuster had some huge plusses and some huge minuses. The huge plusses included a vast majority of my coworkers being easy to get along with, a particularly awesome manager, free movie rentals, big discounts on used movies, that one time I bought like, 70 BluRays for a dollar a piece, the low level of work, scheduling bending to my whim, and just general ease of being there. Negatives included that rear end in a top hat Gary, a completely incompetent corporate structure, their infamous No Raises Ever policy, having to wear khakis and an ugly-rear end polo, and many others I can't quite remember. But it was a place that I was not annoyed that I had to go to, and I enjoyed myself when I was there. That's all I really ask for in a job. Nice people, fun work, and not a chore.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maarak posted:

RIP Wally Pfister's directorial career

Ok, thought exercise: can anyone else think of either some really highly anticipated movies from first time directors that were poo poo, or that were good but bombed and killed their career? Who are some awesome one-and-done directors?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I'm in a bar waiting for friends and the couple next to me is discussing couples costumes and one of them said "the Jeffersons" (they are both white), so then I got to hear the phrase "why does everyone hate on blackface?" I live in Oakland.

So this is what Darwin meant by "natural selection"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geekboy posted:

I am walking to what used to be my apartment to watch Lord of the Rings movies with my ex and her 12 year old cousin because I like watching those movies THAT MUCH.

Just buy the drat movies yourself.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't know if you guys want to count the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries as movies since they're made for TV but holy gently caress is the Hillsborough documentary required viewing for anyone with a passing interest.

Edit: seriously it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, right up there with Harlan County or Hoop Dreams or whatever.

I don't know how something as generally terrible as ESPN makes such amazing documentaries, but holy gently caress is 30 for 30 the best thing they've ever done. If you even remotely care about sports, they've got some amazing documentaries, and even if you don't care about sports, a lot of them go beyond the sports they're about and are just really good docs about people/places/things/times/whatever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

I have just recently viewed several acceptable quality photographs containing Scarlett Johansson full frontal nudity scenes from Under the Skin and have concluded that, yes, said photos are delightful.

Now I want to see the movie.

I can't believe I have to say this...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, did I break some forum rule? If so, I RETRACT MY PREVIOUS STATEMENTS. ABORT. ABORT.

Just a little bit

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

They showed new footage from Dawn of The Planet of The Apes. It's uploaded nowhere yet, but there are descriptions of it as usual. It has some spoilers, but the important part is that there's an ape council scene where they are discussing their encounter with humans and they communicate using a combination of broken English and American Sign Language.

edit: Hugo nominees are now out. Since we talk about movies, TV and comics here:

I think you could switch out the four non-Gravity movies for Upstream Color, Her, The World's End and a pick-one of Elysium/After Earth/Oblivion/Man of Steel and have a set that fits a set of awards named for a man who edited a SF magazine back in the era of people like Bradbury, Vonnegut and Serling.

TrixRabbi posted:

Frozen was more fantasy. Do the Hugo Awards cover fantasy or only sci-fi?

Both, but when's the last time something Fantasy was worth watching? (edit: exaggeration, but sci-fi has a much better streak of not sucking poo poo 90% of the time right at the moment)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A fun game is always to guess what the gently caress is wrong with IMDB users.

A much shorter game is to guess what isn't wrong with them.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Joss Whedon just up and released a movie out of nowhere.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Neil Patrick Harris had a loud fan at a performance of Hedwig and the Angry Inch last night, and he responded in character, because even during performances, NPH is the coolest motherfucker alive.

echoplex posted:

Also, my girlfriend hired us this for my birthday:

Which was a lot of fun.

You go buy her a ring right the gently caress now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well yeah, that's how you're supposed to watch those movies.

I wonder, are there other movies that are better on different drugs? Like, movies that are better on weed are borderline cliche, but like, is Spring Breakers better on E? Is Scarface better when you're coked up? What movie should I set my heroin-fueled suicide to?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

If itīs made from a plant it's ok to use it go get high. Vodka is basically just potatoes, weed is just some leaves and and cocaine is made from leaves. It's all natural and herbal.

gently caress that, Vicodin.

Also, moving sucks. Like, the actual physical act of taking all of your poo poo, putting it in a vehicle, driving , removing you poo poo from the vehicle, and putting it all back, loving sucks. Right now all my stuff is sitting on the floor because I can put small things in my car, but furniture has to wait.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I should really write down my dreams, because I think a lot of them are pretty cool, but I end up forgetting them. The most recent one involved me buying Xanax and Vicodin from a 1st grade librarian for super cheap. Like, she just had a cardboard box full of them.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Online dating sucks. Even E-Harmony went 3 times with "poo poo bro, we got nothing for you." The whole "arranged" marriage/matchmaking poo poo was an adventure. I have dreams bout this one girl.

There should be an app called Burgr. Swipe right on a burger you like, if it likes you too, it gets delivered to your house where you can take it upstairs to your bedroom and eat it in shame, in solitude.

This app exists, and is called GrubHub. I have shame-eaten lots of Thai food thanks to that sinister being.

Also, I went and saw Only Lovers Left Alive tonight, and there has never been a movie so effortlessly cool. And I want that score on vinyl, stat.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

penismightier posted:

gently caress struggling artists.

I mean that literally. Go have sex with them, everyone.

I'm kind of an artist, and I'm kind of struggling. What does that get me, like, a handy?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Boy, Oliver! sure is a bad musical.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Voodoofly posted:

I know Hewlett has his drink and movie podcast. I could use a pick-me-up, and my wife is out of town, so I figured this thread is the next best idea.

Recommend something off Netflix or Hulu Plus, and pair it with one of the drink options below. I'll probably come back in half an hour or so and pick whichever sounds the best.

I grabbed some of my favorites, or things I wanted to try, for the selections. Here is the breakdown of the lineup:

The big fancy bottles:
Brasserie Les Trois Fourquet - Lupulus Ale: Never had it, and I'm disallowing The Grey as its pairing choice (don't think I can handle The Grey again right now).
Lodgson Seizoen Bretta

The Almanac Suite:
Golden Gate Gose
Sourdough Wild Ale: never had it
Farmer's Reserve Pluot Sour
Bourbon Sour Porter: never had it
Dogpatch Sour

The hard stuff:
Evan Williams Single Barrel "K&L Hand Selected": the bourbon
Mount Gay Extra Old: the rum
some K&L hand selected reposado: one of the best tequilas I've ever tasted, but it has like fifteen names on the bottle and I have no idea which is what
Don Amado: the mescal

As far as cocktails, I'm out of Campari, but I can handle or improvise any other sort of standard mixers, citrus, herbs, bitters, etc.

Honestly, even typing this out cheered me up, so help make the night better with a nice drink and something to watch it with.

Make a Daiquiri (a real Hemingway one, not a bullshit frozen one), watch All is Lost, pretend you're in Cuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So Llewyn Davis is going to space.

• Locked thread