Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Number Two Stunna posted:

How do I become the organ player at a hockey arena? That sounds like such a cool job.

Aphrodite posted:

I think there was a goon not too long ago who actually applied for one.

Hi, that was me. It was to be the backup for the Islanders, and, well, I didn't get it. I pulled a MAF and choked when it really counted. All the organ players seem like a really tight knit group, and the ones I met were really cool. Really, if you wanna do it, email or tweet your local guy, ask if you can see the organ, try it out. Let them know you're willing to help out any way you can, and that you play organ if they need it.

I'm still holding out hope that one day the backup will be sick and it'll be my time to shine. That, or when the Isles move to Brooklyn, the AHL team will need an organ player :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

7 games for Matt Cooke. Too much, too little, or just right?

(Personally I was in favor of public execution)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

All three. It's the playoffs, so suspensions will be much shorter than they would be during the regular season. Seven playoff games is Kind of a Big Deal.

I think he should've been expelled from the league two or three hospitalizations ago, but who am I against the infinite wisdom that is the league?

A common sentiment among North American hockey fans is that our game is fantastic but the NHL can be seriously loving awful.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Retracing a bit, but if ever there was proof that "clutch" exists, it would have to be MAF as prime example of the negative. This is made worse by the fact that Pittsburgh doesn't need him to be great. (League average+1)-(insane meltdowns) is all they need to be extremely competitive. And he can't do it. Carl Crawford of Chicago is a guy who succeeds because his team doesn't need him to win the game for him most nights, they just need him not to lose it. And he has the head space/confidence necessary to generally pull that off.

The only thing holding MAF back from being an above average to almost-very-good goalie is between his ears. Poor bastard. If only mental stability was measured in number of beautiful teeth.

He has to have the NHL's finest blooper reel.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 25, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Does fleury ever meltdown on the ice? I understand he plays badly bur I meant show signs of frustration cry etc

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

To my knowledge/memory, no. I've just seen him look up at the sky as if he is begging to be mercy-killed right then and there.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Fleury is also really good at shootouts and breakaways, but the former don't exist in the playoffs and the latter aren't common enough to make or break a playoff game. Also, Kris Letang should be a winger instead of a defenseman, he's not helping.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
What particular strategies would be more common to a defensive team or an offensive oriented team?

What's so good about Sydney Crosby?

Any idea if the Leafs might be able to build a decent team for next year? Is it their failure the coach's fault?

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
Crosby is an elite playmaker, a very good to elite goal-scorer, and a dominant possession player, which is a huge key to success in the NHL these days. He's got great all-around skating skills, great vision and ability to read plays, good hands and good-to-great shots, and ridiculous, freak-of-nature lower body strength.

It's impossible to say what the Leafs are capable of doing until Shanahan cleans house and brings in a new front office. Their failure has been on their entire organization, but a better coach than Carlyle probably could have gotten them farther in the standings and on less luck. Carlyle is utterly terrible and a large part of why they sucked, but a coaching change alone would not be enough to make them into a contender. They have not been well run, but they do at least have a lot of assets to work with if that changes. They're still going to be hobbled by bad contracts, though.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I got into hockey during the Roy/Sakic/Forsberg/Hejduk era and the Avs' cup winning runs. I distinctly remember my Swedish family being very pro-Avs until they started getting too deep into the playoff around some international competition (World Cup? Olympics?) and they wanted Fo-pa. Anyway, I sorta stopped paying attention to hockey right around the lock out.

So what the gently caress is up with the Avs this year anyway?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

the JJ posted:

I got into hockey during the Roy/Sakic/Forsberg/Hejduk era and the Avs' cup winning runs. I distinctly remember my Swedish family being very pro-Avs until they started getting too deep into the playoff around some international competition (World Cup? Olympics?) and they wanted Fo-pa. Anyway, I sorta stopped paying attention to hockey right around the lock out.

So what the gently caress is up with the Avs this year anyway?

Varly becoming a Vezina level goalie, timely scoring, and a fair amount of luck. I'm an Avs fan so I'm not going to say that the team is actually a basement dweller, but it's hard to think they're this good. It's very likely that they will regress at some point (the defensemen are a black hole) but the offensive talent and Varly have been able to paper over the holes. But they're young and fun as hell to watch, so if they regress sometime around late June I'll be fine with them not winning another game for months.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why did Milan Lucic get a $5,000 fine for his nut-grabbing cheap shot, while Quenneville got a $25,000 fine for his nut-grabbing obscene gesture?

Where will Martin Brodeur end up next year, if anywhere?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 28, 2014

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Why did Lucic get a $5,000 fine for his nut-grabbing cheap shot, while Quenneville got a $25,000 fine for his nut-grabbing obscene gesture?

The players have a fairly powerful union. The coaches do not.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Why the hell did they used to not allow two-line passes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It used to be pretty easy to score so they worked to limit it a bit. Now it's the opposite.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Joose Caboose posted:

Why the hell did they used to not allow two-line passes?

Inherited from the days when they didn't allow one-line passes. Forcing players to hold onto the puck increased body contact and made scoring harder.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Inherited from the days when they didn't allow one-line passes. Forcing players to hold onto the puck increased body contact and made scoring harder.

Yeah and disallowing one-line passes (or the creation of the lines and allowing free passing inside the zones they marked) was the next evolution after originally not allowing forward passes at all (like football). I hadn't even heard of this until reading Ken Dryden's The Game.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 28, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
One of my high school classmates (a star lineman on a football team that could beat the Dallas Cowboys at the time) got backstage passes to hang out with the Dallas Stars the year they won the Cup. He described them as all seven feet tall and with three of their original teeth.

A fun anecdote: a good friend of mine (son of my mom's BFF, basically a cousin but not by blood) played hockey as a teenager. One time he got in a fight; other dude imagined some slight, threw off his gloves and helmet, and jumped on my friend. Who was a goalie. And didn't shed his armour for the fight. He let the guy ineffectually beat on him for awhile, and then beat his rear end. The poor dumb bastard that started it was ejected from the game for attacking the goalie, not that he was in any state to continue playing after that.

Zat posted:

Pulled. You can replace your goalie with an extra skater whenever you feel like it, but this is the most common scenario: you're down by 1 or 2 goals in the final couple of minutes of the 3rd period and you're desperately trying to tie the game. The extra skater improves your chances of scoring a goal but having no goalie obviously means a certain extra risk.
Yeah, it's basically a free goal for the other team if there's a turnover.

Lawnie posted:

I'm not sure how exactly the NHL defines "check;" you can check someone without ever coming into contact with them simply by being in the way.
Pretty sure it's somewhat akin to the laws on murder 1 vs. manslaughter. If it's obvious that you meant to kill the guy, it counts as a check even if he doesn't go over the boards.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aphrodite posted:

Detroit's star player is a homophobe douche. Also they call themselves Hockeytown despite not even being in the top 3 of US markets (and well behind when we count Canada.) That is a significant misnomer!

If you're a fan of douchiness though, by all means...

Forever ago in the thread, but Datsyuk is still a Russian citizen who is actively involved in stuff over in Russia, and right now it is not exactly wise to publicly speak out against Russia's policies, especially as a public figure. He may very well be just as vile as Putin's policies are, but there is some context here beyond "Datsyuk hates gay people"

Also compared to other douchey sports teams like the Lakers, Yankees, Patriots, Heat, and the Steelers, the Red Wings, and really any hockey team, are nowhere close. We are pretty much the Yankees of hockey though, especially before the salary cap.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Forever ago in the thread, but Datsyuk is still a Russian citizen who is actively involved in stuff over in Russia, and right now it is not exactly wise to publicly speak out against Russia's policies, especially as a public figure. He may very well be just as vile as Putin's policies are, but there is some context here beyond "Datsyuk hates gay people"

Bullshit there is. Ovechkin and Malkin, for example, basically dodged the question when it came up. Datsyuk was asked about his Red Wings teammate opposing the law and came right out and said "I'm Orthodox, you figure it out".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bullshit there is. Ovechkin and Malkin, for example, basically dodged the question when it came up. Datsyuk was asked about his Red Wings teammate opposing the law and came right out and said "I'm Orthodox, you figure it out".

Dodging the question is not all that different, its not like either of them came out in opposition. Him toeing the party line by saying that is exactly what I meant. He straight up agreed, but its not like he can freely disagree either.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dodging the question is not all that different, its not like either of them came out in opposition. Him toeing the party line by saying that is exactly what I meant. He straight up agreed, but its not like he can freely disagree either.

Um. Actually he could freely disagree. America and all that jazz.

Anyway he and Crosby are the only two other players in the world who can score that backhander Patrick Kane did against the wild. So we can still be on topic of sports.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Could he really, though? Putin's evil and occasionally kills people who say things he doesn't like, Datsyuk's related to targets back in Russia, and being anti-government is a great way to be ignored by the olympic team, no?

I'm not sure how many Russian expats choose to stay here once their careers are over, but I'd be surprised if it were more than half.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

To a Russian, "I'm Orthodox, you figure it out" would read as a non-denial denial, or at least having a lot of wiggle room and being a fairly bland non-statement. It doesn't necessarily mean what you're assuming it means, and just not saying anything directly actually says a lot. He pretty much did dodge the question. The cultures are different, Russians generally have no problem with being direct and blunt when they want to, so it's a pretty bad misreading to assume it's meant same way American evangelicals say stuff like "God said, I believe it, that settles it".

The question he was asked was a pretty lovely and xenophobic one, too, basically "what do you think of Patriarch Kirill's statement?". There are plenty of hockey players who are Catholics, to use one example, but I don't remember any of them being asked for their opinions on various terrible things Pope Benedict said. Apart from all that, Kirill is very politically connected and powerful and that whole issue is a really messed up, touchy one right now. The reason Pussy Riot was arrested the time it made the Wester news was because they basically stormed the Russian Orthodox equivalent of St. Peter's in Rome and interrupted a service with their "concert". Trying to bait Datsyuk into condemning the Patriarch might not have been intended to be something that could get him arrested, but either way, that reporter was an rear end in a top hat for asking it.

If you want an example of a Russian who really is unabashedly pro-Putin and has said real homophobic things outside of being baited into it, Kovalchuk has been completely direct on both scores. The context Datsyuk gave that quote in is a lot graver than a bunch of flippant :smug: social justice assholes realize, and he hasn't said anything else on the matter, despite plenty of opportunity to do so.

e: Heh, I went back and looked it up and it was actually Isinbaeva who asked him, I assume as part of official coverage, which means the question was even more of a setup and not something he could have answered in a way that Americans/Canadians would have liked without getting in a world of poo poo.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 8, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This is not a Riley Cooper situation. HELLO LADIES summed it up pretty well.

It's kind of sad someone quoted and responded to an obvious troll though. It should be known that us Red Wings fans take our arbitrary marketing terms exceptionally seriously. You should have seen the crazy excess we went to when we OCTOPIED BOSTON during that series.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Its an Ask thread, plenty of people would not even know it was a troll. i know the stereotypes and thats why i'm not getting all mad about it or arguing about where we stand in douchedom.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Who was that bad motherfucker that was allowed to play without a helmet when they introduced them, he got grandfathered into the old rules or whatever. That dude was a baller.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Which Team 1040 program/podcast is now considered the best for Canucks hockey? I don't care for other sports. Is any of it even worth listening to now since the team is poo poo, it's the off season, and the team is poo poo?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

visuvius posted:

Who was that bad motherfucker that was allowed to play without a helmet when they introduced them, he got grandfathered into the old rules or whatever. That dude was a baller.

Craig MacTavish.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

visuvius posted:

It wasn't that he was allowed, it was just that he'd sit outside the officials' entrance in his car before games, revving fiercely

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Can I put in a general request for more amazing anecdotes like that? Maybe like your personal favorite story/player from your team?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Can I put in a general request for more amazing anecdotes like that? Maybe like your personal favorite story/player from your team?

That may not have been strictly true

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

not my favorite team but Dany Heatly once killed his best friend.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

not my favorite team but Dany Heatly once killed his best friend.

And ruined a perfectly good Ferrari/buzz

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Who is TayTay? Are there other common nicknames that are good to know?

Not player names, but if you read NHL threads on SAS, you'll occasionally see "_AS" alluded to. These are the fanbases for these teams in the threads. FAS=Flyers Argument Stadium, RAS=Rangers, CBAS/BJAS=Columbus Blue Jackets, etc.

-Many people in NHL threads refer to Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry as gently caress Corey Perry. I'll let others go into the reasons why.

-Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky goes by several police-related nicknames including, but not limited to, Officer Bob, Top Cop, and Bobocop. The meme came from former TSN/current Fox Sports 1 personality Jay Onrait, who liked to yell his name along with sayings like "YOU'RE OFF THE CASE!" during highlights. I'll let the video speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZPhiT2PeQ

-CBJ rookie Boone Jenner was nicknamed The Jennerator by one of his Junior league coaches. I'll refer to Cam Atkinson as "Bieber" in some GDTs due to the fact that that's his on-ice nickname, a reference to his similar appearance to Justin Bieber.

-Recently retired forward Vinny Prospal's real name is Vaclav. The story goes his teammates at the start of his career found the name hard to pronounce. That, combined with the recent release of My Cousin Vinny, caused Prospal to adopt Vinny as an easier to say nickname.

E- Do people still call Patrick Kane 20 Cent or is that over?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 10, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Craig MacTavish.

Worth noting that he's gone from "famously helmetless player of a game full of headshots" to general manager of the famously terrible Edmonton Oilers.

Are these two related? You decide!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 10, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Blue Jackets founder John H. McConnell said in one of the first few seasons of the team's history that "if we miss the playoffs, I'm going to walk across the Olentangy River without getting wet." (The gist was he'd do so by standing on GM Doug MacLean's shoulders as MacLean was held underwater.)

Former Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, on the heels of an abysmal 2011-12 season, advocated the hiring of former Blues President of Hockey Ops John Davidson to help with the team's rebuild in a similar position. JD agreed in September of that year.

Davidson fired Howson five months later.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 10, 2014

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Milan Lucic is so hated by his hometown of Vancouver that dudes tried to fight him when he made an appearance at a greek festival near his parents house, and also someone vandalized his families church with hockey-related graffiti

He has said he's "through defending them" and "you'll never see me in downtown vancouver again, except for games"

Basically he's like a vat of acid away from a supervillain origin story.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Worth noting that he's gone from "famously helmetless player of a game full of headshots" to general manager of the famously terrible Edmonton Oilers.

Are these two related? You decide!

And in between that he was Oilers coach when they actually were kinda good (at least in the playoff race every season) and was the first in a long line of coaches to get the boot once they started sucking. Now he's GM and actually succeeding in some trades and managed to off-load two old players (Hemsky and Horcoff) with no burned bridges which are two highlights of the trainwreck of last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Can someone explain why the Florida Panthers are so bad, and when they were good, why?

• Locked thread