Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Sidney Crosby didn't touch it in 08 but did in 09 and they won. Mark Messier touched it in 1994.

Mario lemieux's dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Coca Koala posted:

Right, I've been following the attempt to get an NBA team in Seattle for a while. But you're talking about it like it's a certainty that the arena is going to be built and that Seattle will want an NHL team for it sometime within the next ten years, and I'm curious where that certainty is coming from.

The city has a strong corporate base to whom they could sell season tickets and suites/boxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Seattle

This is quite different from a place like Hartford, which is in an area with a fair number of hockey fans (mostly Bruins and Rangers fans) with a history with hockey and some successful minor league teams in the state, but hardly any corporate base to support an NHL franchise.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Zodijackylite posted:

The city has a strong corporate base to whom they could sell season tickets and suites/boxes.

I apparently didn't make myself clear. I grew up in Seattle, and I followed the efforts of the Hansen group to bring the Sacramento Kings to Seattle pretty closely, partly because I was still salty over how the Sonics left, and mostly because every indication was that if Seattle got a basketball team, the new arena would work well for an NHL team as well.

But the Kings didn't leave Sacramento, and Hansen's bid failed. I'm generally aware of how his MOU with the city works, and I understand that Hansen doesn't have anything against hockey, but somebody else would have to put in most of the money and strike their own arena deal with the city to get an NHL team in the area before an NBA franchise is inbound.

I'm aware that there's a large market for hockey in Seattle, and the large corporate base; I think it would be a great place for an NHL team, as opposed to just the AHL team that's over there right now, plus I'd love the opportunity to root for a home team when it comes to hockey. But I haven't heard anything that indicates it's going to happen; just a bunch of people saying "Oh Seattle would be so great for hockey, they just need a better arena". So when somebody in the thread said "By then Seattle will be aching for a big-time tenant in their new arena.", which makes it sound like a new arena is planned, approved, and getting ready to be built, I was naturally curious because I've been trying to follow news on that front and I couldn't figure out if this person knew something I didn't. Because right now, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Seattle is going to get a basketball team (unless Steve Ballmer is planning to pull a Clay Bennett, which I hope to God he is), and with no basketball team there doesn't appear to be any reason to think that Seattle is getting a new arena that we'll be dying to host an NHL team in the next time the Coyotes are up for grabs. None of the big money in Seattle has stepped forward to say "Hey, I'd love to be a majority owner of a hockey team", none of the big money has had public talks with the city about building an NHL arena, none of the big money has even publicly approached Hansen to say "Hey, how would you feel if I offered to kick in some cash to reword your MOU so we can get an NHL team first?".

So I'd love to see Seattle have a hockey team, but I'm aware of the circumstances behind it and I was just trying to figure out why somebody else sounded so confident that it would happen on a particular timeline. That's why I was asking.

• Locked thread