Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

What do you think about Byron's hit on Sedin in Sunday night's game? The people in the GDT seemed to be of the opinion that it was the Worst Thing Ever, but it looked to me like a fairly weak (although still not legal) hit that just ended very badly. It was definitely a penalty, possibly even a justifiable game misconduct, but the people calling for supplementary discipline seemed a little crazy to me. What was I missing?

It was definitely a dangerous hit, and Byron was lucky that he didn't break Sedin's neck. That aside, I presume that the response stems from the league's inconsistent and mostly lenient rulings for dangerous hits like this. With the rise of knowledge of things like post concussion syndrome, the league has only paid lip service to reducing dangerous contact to the head. Stiff suspensions have been dealt before, but you have to have a mile long record before they'll think of suspending you for more than 5 games. On the other hand, the NHL hasn't done anything as egregious as the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread