Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zat
Jan 16, 2008

DOOP posted:

Can you explain the new playoff structure for this year? Because I'm a regular and I don't even know anymore.

Bettman :argh:

They're divisional playoffs with a wildcard twist.

- There's 2 divisions in each conference.

- The top 3 teams in each division get seeds 1, 2 and 3 in their division.

- The top 2 remaining teams in the entire conference are given wildcard spots 1 and 2
-- Wildcard 2 will play against the regular-season conference winner
-- Wildcard 1 will play against the other division winner

- Division seeds 2 and 3 will play against each other on round 1

- The two wild card teams will remain inside that division's playoffs even if they advance to round 2; no reseeding or reshuffling.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

And anyways, I'm relatively confident any official NHL records will just use regular season standings to determine the actual division champions. I'm sure they're aware of the problem that would arise if they were decided in the playoffs with the current format.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Shots are saves+goals already in the NHL. If it misses the net, it's not a shot. The simple description is that if it would have gone in had the goalie not been there, it's a shot*.

Also, just to confuse matters further, in IIHF-sanctioned tournaments and leagues they use separate stats for "shots" and "shots on goal" where the former also includes missed shots and the latter is the same as "shots" in the NHL.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Where the hell is the goalie at around 4:10?

Pulled. You can replace your goalie with an extra skater whenever you feel like it, but this is the most common scenario: you're down by 1 or 2 goals in the final couple of minutes of the 3rd period and you're desperately trying to tie the game. The extra skater improves your chances of scoring a goal but having no goalie obviously means a certain extra risk.

Another time you usually see it done is during a delayed penalty; the opposing team is about to be penalized but the ref won't whistle the penalty until they get control of the puck. You can then pull your goalie relatively safely in order to try and score with the help of an extra attacker and get extra man-advantage time before the actual penalty is whistled.

edit: thoroughly beaten :)

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 16, 2014

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Inherited from the days when they didn't allow one-line passes. Forcing players to hold onto the puck increased body contact and made scoring harder.

Yeah and disallowing one-line passes (or the creation of the lines and allowing free passing inside the zones they marked) was the next evolution after originally not allowing forward passes at all (like football). I hadn't even heard of this until reading Ken Dryden's The Game.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

If we can include former or dead owners,

John Spano. Scammer who managed to convince everyone he was a multimillionaire and acquire the NY Islanders when in reality he was pretty much broke. It's an incredible story.

This documentary is a must watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoSXtH8p9Jo

• Locked thread