Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
His nose is also freakishly huge. His rap nickname is "Noseface Killah".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

ch3cooh posted:

Why is Corsi wrong and why is Fenwick worse?

Edit: GO AVS

Corsi isn't wrong so much as it's not perfect, unless you're Damien Cox. Fenwick is better than Corsi, in that it's been shown to be more accurate in predicting team success/placement in the standings and the eventual Cup winner over the course of a season.

Now, since you're an Avs fan, Corsi is wrong because the Avs success this season is 1000000000% totally a product of Patrick Roy's coaching methods and grit and #WhyNotUs, they are the team of destiny. Any and all luck-based measures that indicate their season was at least partially a fluke are the filthy lies of Satan and not to be trusted, it's all been hard work and dedication and improvement and coaching. That may even be true about the goaltending!

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

the posted:

Nah, I just heard an NPR story a few years ago about it, and how there was an unusually high rate of suicides among specifically those guys, due to the fact that they get a lot of head trauma combined with being generally ostracized from the rest of the team.

They're not generally ostracized from the rest of the team. Very often, the "enforcer" is one of the most popular guys on the team, because he's seen as a protector, and they also just tend to be cool guys, many of whom are very nice off the ice. In general, among actual hockey players, the role is pretty respected. Depending on their overall skillset, they do tend to bounce between the minors and the bigs more than skill players and get paid less money, but "ostracized" is pretty much a complete NPRification. They also tend to be fan favorites, too.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

the posted:

I may be misremembering it then. They do get less minutes and less pay, though, right?

Yep. Most of the guys who are 100% pure punchman are on two-way contracts, which means they have a different (read: much, much lower) salary rate for games they play in the AHL, and their NHL salaries are usually pretty low as well, around league minimum. Even the ones who have creditable hockey skill are still usually paid like 3rd liners, at best.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

canuckanese posted:

In my opinion, a staged fight is not a good fight, but if a fight is something that happens organically and there is some kind of significance behind why the two players are fighting, then I do get into it even though I disagree with the concept of fighting as a whole.

It's important to note that a lot of what fans consider "staged fights" aren't actually staged. Maybe not in this particular case, but there's an entire etiquette around when to fight the other guy, like it's considered Not Cool to fight a guy at the end of his shift if you're at the start, because that's not a fair matchup, and plenty of guys have expressed the opinion that when they absolutely know they're going to have to fight that game anyway, they prefer to get it over with as early as possible. There can also be multi-game chains of causation for fights that get started early, stemming from an incident(s) even as far back as the previous season. A lot more of the fights are "organic", or at least have a narrative of significance constructed around them by the fighters, than many anti-fighting fans seem to want to credit. There have been so many changes to the rules around fighting, mostly at the behest of the league/owners, that the "spontaneous street justice for dirty play" fights can be a lot more dangerous in hockey terms (penalties, etc) for the guy who starts them and that's entirely subject to ref discretion, so in a lot of ways the timeframe for those incidents has gotten stretched out, specifically so the refs can't get as involved.

Now, that's not to say that the whole idea of player enforcement and fighting as deterrents is or is not entirely bogus itself, but the issue is a lot more complicated than this whole idea of "staged fights".

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Everything you just said describes exactly why they're called staged.

Not really, when most of the people who throw that term around inevitably follow it up with how they hate those fights because they're "not about anything" and "not the same as guys defending their teammates/sticking up for themselves", plus they also seem to think "staged" fights are always just cynical sideshows with nothing to do with player self-policing. Some are, but most aren't. If people don't believe deterrence and self-policing is real or actually works, cool, more power to 'em, but the idea that semi-planned fights AREN'T deterrence but spontaneous ones TOTALLY ARE is bullshit. It's a false dichotomy.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Thaxxas posted:

I'm a leafs fan. Mock me. I do have a couple questions though for those of you that eat, breathe and sleep hockey.

What effect will the Brendan Shanahan hiring have on the leafs organization. I get that the guy has 3 rings and has leadership qualities and has worked as the league disciplinarian but how does that translate into being a good choice for Leafs president? I just asked one of my co-workers what he brings to the leafs and he sad, "hopefully a stick and a pair of skates"

Honestly, no one knows. I don't think Shanny has ever held a position like this before, so his reign could involve pretty much anything. Leiweke has made it pretty clear that it's not going to be be a figurehead position, so he will be making hockey decisions. Nonis and all the business guys are going to report to him. Anything else is pretty much speculation, but it's seemingly not something they're doing just to sell tickets.

quote:

Secondly, if Randy Carlyle gets tossed out as is being speculated who's available that the leafs would be better off with? I keep hearing the name Barry Trotts or something that was fired from Nashville. What makes him a good candidate?

Barry Trotz was the only coach the Predators had in their history. For a budget team in a non-traditional market, they managed to do extremely well for themselves and Trotz was a very big part of that. He's the #1 coach on the market right now, and probably shouldn't even have been the one fired in Nashville. If Toronto hires him, he might also come with a very, very good goalie coach in Mitch Korn, who is the guy who developed Pekka Rinne. Trotz system in Nashville was extremely defensively-oriented, but unlike a lot of similar coaches, he knows how to fairly effectively run offense through his defensemen in addition to just teaching excellent defense, which was a necessity in Nashville because of how their team was built, but would actually be a pretty good fit with the current Toronto roster. Most hockey people are of the opinion that Nashville's low scoring and comparitive lack of offense over the years was more due to the roster Trotz had to work with rather than any tendency of his to utterly squelch the living poo poo out of his players offensive instincts, unlike John Tortorella.

quote:

There's a bunch of other questions I could ask you guys but I don't want to poo poo up the thread too much more than I already have.

That's what it's here for! Also our N/V thread is mostly various fanbases pissing and moaning doom and gloom, so it's not very fun at the moment.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

The only way this really works is if final decisions by Nonis & Co basically get the stamp of approval from Shanahan. It could be a Colorado situation where Sherman is still technically the GM, but it's a position in name only.

Leiweke said in the presser that he does have final approval. Both the Nonis/hockey staff and the business staff will report to, and need approval from, Shanahan. Maybe it's all bullshitting, but here's what Nonis had to say about it:

Dave Nonis posted:

On the day that he was officially stripped of the final say on hockey matters, Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis tried to put a positive spin on the news that he was no longer in charge — as though he was happy to hand over the keys. “Listen, I have a boss and it’s Brendan,” Nonis said. “At the end of the day, the boss has the final say in anything. In any organization that I’ve been a part of that’s had any success, you’ve had consensus. You work together and you find a way to answer any questions or concerns that one side might have.”

To me that sounds like Shanahan's authority is real and Nonis is passive-aggressively butthurt about it.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Thats awesome thank you

If you liked Flakeloaf's writeup, you should check out Justin Bourne's Systems Analyst posts over on the Backhand Shelf blog, it's post after post of breakdowns like that.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I'm just saying that people have been saying they'd crash and burn any week now for like 3 months, yet they continued to win. They had a strong regular season finish, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a good playoff run. I feel like a leafs fancy stat denier, but they haven't collapsed yet. We'll see.

Regardless of your complaining about my views, this is really not relevant to the point I made in my post.

I was saying that almost everything about the avalanche told us in the pre-season that they'd be awful, and they pulled off a very entertaining season. So keep some hope, sabres fans! Hockey is a crazy game

In the case of the goaltending specifically, most of the fancystats people hailing the inevitable doomy collapse and "correction" (not on SAS per se) are the ones who are in Damien Cox land. Development does happen, Varlamov's always had a very high talent ceiling, the situation he found himself in is pretty much perfect. The other fancystats indication that the Avs are a lot worse than their record are team metrics and use a larger sample size, but a .927 is actually within the realm of possibility to be either legit on it's own, or a real substantial improvement combined with some luck. One season is far too small a sample size to say either way, anyone making conclusive predictions about Varlamov right now is overstating their case, and anyone calling others dumb while not actually understanding that is, well, Mook.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The Euro leagues actually draft North American prospects that will never actually go there.

They usually go later in the drafts, but they do include them.

The NHL is taking that risk when they draft Europeans too, but it's rare they don't come over. They don't draft blind, they know who wants to play in the NHL or not.

Didn't some KHL team do the equivalent of granting TayTay exceptional player status so they could draft him first overall in their import draft when he was like 16 or something like that?

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Who is TayTay? Are there other common nicknames that are good to know?

TayTay is SAS's pet name for Taylor Hall, the first of the Edmonton Oiler's three consecutive first overall picks, who was drafted in 2010. 2011 was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oilers), 2012 was Nail "Yak City" Yakupov, and 2013 the Colorado Avanlanche drafted Nathan MacKinnon at #1.

Other nicknames:
"Z" can mean either the Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg or the Bruins Zdeno Chara, but "Big Z" is usually just Chara, who is 6'9" and terrifingly huge.
"Giggles" is the Senators Jason Spezza, who has a very dorky laugh.
"Geno" is Evgeni Malkin, "G" can be either Malkin or Flyers Claude Giroux (and probably other dudes but those are the famous ones).
"Jumbo" is San Jose's Joe Thornton, who is quite large.
"Cooter" is Flyers Sean Couturier, "Cooch" is Sharks Logan Couture, we are all eagerly awaiting the arrival of Couturiest and them all being united on a single line.
Grant Clitsome of the Winnipeg Jets is "Clitter".
Jonathan Toews of Chicago is "Captain Serious".
Scott Hartnell of the Flyers is "Fartsmell".
"Homer" is Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, he is hilarious if he is not your GM.
Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils is "Fatso" or "Uncle Daddy".
"GMGM" is the super creative nickname of DC's GM George McPhee, he is not hilarious he's just bad.

I'm probably forgetting a few, but these are the one you'll usually hear in broadcasts or read in our hockey threads. Most of the others are pretty self-explanatory or things that only one specific fanbase would really care about or use. Hockey nicknames are generally pretty dumb, though. {first syllable of last name}-sy/er covers the vast majority of them.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
It's also the case that not all markets/locations are created equal. This mattered more when there wasn't a salary cap and players got to free agency much more quickly, but it's still a factor now. Playing in a Canadian market involves pressure and media attention in a whole different stratosphere from even the most popular US markets, some cities just have terrible climates or really suck, and to a certain extent most FAs with a choice don't want to go to a really lovely team, so it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle.

And then there's Edmonton, where you have all three factors and also their VP of hockey ops essentially tried to blackmail a player into paying back a couple million dollars worth of bonus money he'd already been paid that he was legally entitled to by contract, or he wouldn't be traded :v:

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
Crosby is an elite playmaker, a very good to elite goal-scorer, and a dominant possession player, which is a huge key to success in the NHL these days. He's got great all-around skating skills, great vision and ability to read plays, good hands and good-to-great shots, and ridiculous, freak-of-nature lower body strength.

It's impossible to say what the Leafs are capable of doing until Shanahan cleans house and brings in a new front office. Their failure has been on their entire organization, but a better coach than Carlyle probably could have gotten them farther in the standings and on less luck. Carlyle is utterly terrible and a large part of why they sucked, but a coaching change alone would not be enough to make them into a contender. They have not been well run, but they do at least have a lot of assets to work with if that changes. They're still going to be hobbled by bad contracts, though.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Why did Lucic get a $5,000 fine for his nut-grabbing cheap shot, while Quenneville got a $25,000 fine for his nut-grabbing obscene gesture?

The players have a fairly powerful union. The coaches do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bullshit there is. Ovechkin and Malkin, for example, basically dodged the question when it came up. Datsyuk was asked about his Red Wings teammate opposing the law and came right out and said "I'm Orthodox, you figure it out".

To a Russian, "I'm Orthodox, you figure it out" would read as a non-denial denial, or at least having a lot of wiggle room and being a fairly bland non-statement. It doesn't necessarily mean what you're assuming it means, and just not saying anything directly actually says a lot. He pretty much did dodge the question. The cultures are different, Russians generally have no problem with being direct and blunt when they want to, so it's a pretty bad misreading to assume it's meant same way American evangelicals say stuff like "God said, I believe it, that settles it".

The question he was asked was a pretty lovely and xenophobic one, too, basically "what do you think of Patriarch Kirill's statement?". There are plenty of hockey players who are Catholics, to use one example, but I don't remember any of them being asked for their opinions on various terrible things Pope Benedict said. Apart from all that, Kirill is very politically connected and powerful and that whole issue is a really messed up, touchy one right now. The reason Pussy Riot was arrested the time it made the Wester news was because they basically stormed the Russian Orthodox equivalent of St. Peter's in Rome and interrupted a service with their "concert". Trying to bait Datsyuk into condemning the Patriarch might not have been intended to be something that could get him arrested, but either way, that reporter was an rear end in a top hat for asking it.

If you want an example of a Russian who really is unabashedly pro-Putin and has said real homophobic things outside of being baited into it, Kovalchuk has been completely direct on both scores. The context Datsyuk gave that quote in is a lot graver than a bunch of flippant :smug: social justice assholes realize, and he hasn't said anything else on the matter, despite plenty of opportunity to do so.

e: Heh, I went back and looked it up and it was actually Isinbaeva who asked him, I assume as part of official coverage, which means the question was even more of a setup and not something he could have answered in a way that Americans/Canadians would have liked without getting in a world of poo poo.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 8, 2014

• Locked thread