Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Who is TayTay? Are there other common nicknames that are good to know?

Not player names, but if you read NHL threads on SAS, you'll occasionally see "_AS" alluded to. These are the fanbases for these teams in the threads. FAS=Flyers Argument Stadium, RAS=Rangers, CBAS/BJAS=Columbus Blue Jackets, etc.

-Many people in NHL threads refer to Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry as gently caress Corey Perry. I'll let others go into the reasons why.

-Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky goes by several police-related nicknames including, but not limited to, Officer Bob, Top Cop, and Bobocop. The meme came from former TSN/current Fox Sports 1 personality Jay Onrait, who liked to yell his name along with sayings like "YOU'RE OFF THE CASE!" during highlights. I'll let the video speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZPhiT2PeQ

-CBJ rookie Boone Jenner was nicknamed The Jennerator by one of his Junior league coaches. I'll refer to Cam Atkinson as "Bieber" in some GDTs due to the fact that that's his on-ice nickname, a reference to his similar appearance to Justin Bieber.

-Recently retired forward Vinny Prospal's real name is Vaclav. The story goes his teammates at the start of his career found the name hard to pronounce. That, combined with the recent release of My Cousin Vinny, caused Prospal to adopt Vinny as an easier to say nickname.

E- Do people still call Patrick Kane 20 Cent or is that over?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Can I put in a general request for more amazing anecdotes like that? Maybe like your personal favorite story/player from your team?

Blue Jackets founder John H. McConnell said in one of the first few seasons of the team's history that "if we miss the playoffs, I'm going to walk across the Olentangy River without getting wet." (The gist was he'd do so by standing on GM Doug MacLean's shoulders as MacLean was held underwater.)

Former Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, on the heels of an abysmal 2011-12 season, advocated the hiring of former Blues President of Hockey Ops John Davidson to help with the team's rebuild in a similar position. JD agreed in September of that year.

Davidson fired Howson five months later.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread