Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010
I'm a leafs fan. Mock me. I do have a couple questions though for those of you that eat, breathe and sleep hockey.

What effect will the Brendan Shanahan hiring have on the leafs organization. I get that the guy has 3 rings and has leadership qualities and has worked as the league disciplinarian but how does that translate into being a good choice for Leafs president? I just asked one of my co-workers what he brings to the leafs and he sad, "hopefully a stick and a pair of skates".

Secondly, if Randy Carlyle gets tossed out as is being speculated who's available that the leafs would be better off with? I keep hearing the name Barry Trotts or something that was fired from Nashville. What makes him a good candidate?

There's a bunch of other questions I could ask you guys but I don't want to poo poo up the thread too much more than I already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for the response HL. It's nice getting a consice answer on the questions I have as opposed to having to sift through the bullshit that can be sports media around here.

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010

MaoistBanker posted:

Who knows? All I know is that you are no longer talking about the Leafs' epic collapse, and that's exactly the way the Leafs want it. Narrative changed. I wonder if Shanny is really going to go all-in, but I don't see it. Being a President of a team means shoring up sponsorship deals and schmoozing with corporate guys so that they spend every inch of available space advertising their product on TV, Internet and inside the arena. I don't really see Shanahan doing that, do you? Robitaille does it for LA and he does it well, but it largely means Robitaille doesn't get involved with hockey decisions. The only way this really works is if final decisions by Nonis & Co basically get the stamp of approval from Shanahan. It could be a Colorado situation where Sherman is still technically the GM, but it's a position in name only.

This is a big pay jump for Shanahan, he's literally never had a job with these kinds of responsibilities before.

Speaking for myself here but I half assed expected the collapse. Two years ago they "drove the 18 wheeler off the cliff", last years collapse in the last ten minutes of game 7 vs Boston was an epic collapse. This year in my humble uneducated opinion finished the same way it started. Horrible play in their own end thus allowing too damned many shots against. Bernier and Reimer did what they could but 40 to 50 something shots against per game is not a winning game plan and I'm surprised it took so long for them to fall out of playoff contention.

Regarding Shanahan, I know he wasn't brought in to shore up sponsorship deals and hobknob with the corporate types. They don't need him for that and that's why I asked what it is he brings to the organization.

• Locked thread