Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

hockey players are weird people, and the cup has been around for a really, really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

the posted:

Are players actually openly put on teams for the specific purpose of beating up other players?

Yes, there's a stigma in the NHL that every team needs to have "size" and "grit" and this often leads to otherwise bad players who are put on the ice just to get in fights. They're called "goons", ironically. For notable examples, see Colton Orr, it's kind of silly but hockey fights are fun to watch sometimes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If you move before the puck is dropped, you get removed, also if you're mouthing off to the other player you can get kicked too, I believe.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

junidog posted:

I'd love to hear more about all the "fancy" stats.

Also, what do you mean by blocked shots? Shots that another non-goalie player blocks, or does it include saves? It seems to me (I know nothing about hockey) that if you're looking for a proxy for possession you'd want to include all shot attempts, regardless of outcome (miss, goal, save, block).

Yeah, a blocked shot is a shot that would be on net, but is blocked by another player, either on purpose or unintentionally. It's a pretty common strategy. A blocked shot by the goalie isn't counted by that however, and is just called a save, regardless of them catching it, or it bouncing off of their pad or what have you.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I don't know who's considering Colorado for the cup, because they're silly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Can I put in a general request for more amazing anecdotes like that? Maybe like your personal favorite story/player from your team?

not my favorite team but Dany Heatly once killed his best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

foutre posted:

What's the deal with hockey fans/teams in perpetually warm places? I'm specifically thinking of San Jose, where it feels like there are more rabid hockey fans there than where I grew up in Southern Wisconsin, and I don't really understand why.

Why are there so many teams in such inhospitable climates? What makes a franchise start somewhere?

Since teams play indoors, temperature isn't such a big deal, and San Jose specifically has done a very good job marketing and building a highly competitive team. When you do that in any sport, fans will come.

• Locked thread