Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Waroduce posted:

I live in South Florida, so my exposure to hockey has been effectively nil. I watch it every now and than when its on tv, but I lack a strategic and tactical understanding of the game and what the teams are trying to do to each other. I used to not enjoy soccer for the same reason, but after reading on formations and how they try to score/advance the ball within their structure, and understanding tactically x player makes pass to y player for z reason, it sort of fell together for me.

Could someone take like two of the most common hockey formations and explain the positions within, their responsibilities/ what they try to do, and than perhaps explain a simple play or two?

An NHL goaltender should stop all of the shots he sees, so one common basic attack plan is to take the offensive zone, hit the goalie with the first shot, then send a wall of meat and swinging lumber towards the net in the hopes that the now-out-of-position goalie won't be able to stop the puck in the chaos. This is called "crashing the net", and it's usually pretty effective as long as the defense is negligent enough to let it happen. And when you wanna talk about negligent defense, you come to a Senators fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfGcy0h32o8

First goal:

The Canadiens (red) have the puck on a three-on-two attack, and their right-winger (with his stick in the air, #21 Brian Gionta) is getting ready to move it. The centre (#81, Lars Eller) is moving towards the net, and because he's holding his stick left-handed, he's a legitimate threat to drive straight to the net, receive a pass or pick up the loose puck and put it around the goalie on the side where the puck currently isn't. If he were right-handed the curve on his stick would be convex towards the right side, making it a bit harder for him to pick up a pass from his right and making it more likely that the shot he takes up close is on the side where the goalie currently is; to attack the left side of the net he'd have to either use his backhand (which most players suck at, relatively speaking) or take a moment to angle his body more to the left, which would give the goalie more time to react.

The Ottawa defenseman facing Gionta (#3 Marc Methot) is doing his best to keep his man "to the outside", that is, along the boards and far from his goalie. This offers the dual advantage of forcing the shooter to take the shot the goalie is ready for, and making him less-able to pass to a teammate in scoring position because the puck would have to go through him. If you slow it down you can even see him crouch a bit and hold his stick parallel to the ice in anticipation of the pass, then stand up again when it becomes clear that the attacking player is about to shoot.

Montreal's left winger (#27, Alex Galchenyuk) is staying as far as he can from the other two players to put extra stress on Ottawa's right defenseman (the one not in the circle, #65 Erik Karlsson). If Galchenyuk gets the puck right now he'll probably score because the goaltender won't be able to move from where he is now to where he needs to be to stop the shot properly, so the defensemen have to prevent that. Methot has the puck-carrier, and Karlsson is forced to deal with the other two guys: he has to be ready to block Galchenyuk's shot, stop Eller from passing to Gally, and knock Eller on his rear end if he happens to end up with the puck (which he can't do because he's three inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter). Gionta sees all of this because he is good at hockey, and he knows exactly what to do: he slaps a low-percentage shot up high on the goalie where it's not likely to make a big rebound, Eller skates through Karlsson, Karlsson is forced to wave his stick ineffectually at the puck because he's not big enough to body Eller out of the way and he can't dedicate all of his attention to one player, Eller gets to the puck first, and the Habs close the lead to two goals.

This play would be completely neutralized if the Ottawa forward (the one standing opposite the Bell sign, #15 Zack Smith) would take a few steps forward and put the Montreal winger into the boards, freeing up his defensemen to handle the other two forwards one-on-one. Instead, he stands still and waves his stick at the problem hoping that magic will shoot out the end of it and make everything okay.

The other two Ottawa forwards are in their correct positions, more or less (which is something to be happy about in the case of #14 Colin Greening). If the puck comes their way they can attack the other team's net, and once the Montreal defensemen show up, the forwards can put some pressure on these "point" positions. If the two Ottawa forwards were instead Montreal defensemen, they would be playing the point. From back there the point-man can see the whole play, skate laterally along the blue line to make the other players move to compensante and create holes, make wise passes to players in scoring position or take huge slapshots themselves.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Rule 24.3 allows a shooter on the penalty shot to be chosen "from the players on the ice at the time the foul was committed", which to me includes the goaltender.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm so glad this thread is here, 'cause I need some help. My wife's gotten into hockey in a serious way over the last year. She's been following Philadelphia and Dallas.

If I'm already telling her that even Crosby can't save the Pens now, what's my best option for teasing the poo poo out of her?

"Fleury" is now a noun that describes anything that allows other things to go past, through or around it. Especially in springtime.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I got a question.

What's with the references to Evil Waldo that have been floating around the n/v thread? I remember him as a poster/ know he hasn't been around in a while, but I wasn't posting when whatever people are referring to happened and I don't get it

He claimed his twittering at Flyers players and management made him a "thorn in the side" of the team, he was roundly mocked for suggesting that a tweeterman could change the course of a professional hockey team, and we haven't seen him since.

e: f;b

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A friend of mine knew Mike Fisher in high school, and she insists he was an "annoying little poo poo" (oddly enough she looks a bit like Carrie Underwood herself). I wouldn't be surprised if this were common to professional athletes in general, though.

The being hyper-competitive shits, I mean. Looking like Carrie Underwood probably isn't that common in the NHL.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

All three. It's the playoffs, so suspensions will be much shorter than they would be during the regular season. Seven playoff games is Kind of a Big Deal.

I think he should've been expelled from the league two or three hospitalizations ago, but who am I against the infinite wisdom that is the league?

A common sentiment among North American hockey fans is that our game is fantastic but the NHL can be seriously loving awful.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Joose Caboose posted:

Why the hell did they used to not allow two-line passes?

Inherited from the days when they didn't allow one-line passes. Forcing players to hold onto the puck increased body contact and made scoring harder.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Could he really, though? Putin's evil and occasionally kills people who say things he doesn't like, Datsyuk's related to targets back in Russia, and being anti-government is a great way to be ignored by the olympic team, no?

I'm not sure how many Russian expats choose to stay here once their careers are over, but I'd be surprised if it were more than half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

If we can include former or dead owners

...you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger prick than the Maple Leafs' former owner Harold Ballard. An arrogant, misogynist tyrant and ex-convict who made Steinbrenner look even-handed, Ballard had no respect for anyone in the Leafs organization. This is a guy who fired an intern for refusing to walk his dog. Hockey fans in Toronto are loyal to a fault (they reportedly sold out every game for 50 years straight or something ridiculous like that) and Ballard knew that they'd show up to see just about anyone as long as they were wearing blue shirts, so he hired the cheapest, shittiest players available and the organization stunk out loud for years under his "ownership". Then the old bastard died, competent adults took over and five years later the team played in back-to-back conference finals.

• Locked thread