Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Corsi: another possession metric that also counts blocked shots, in addition to what Fenwick counts.
PDO: sort of a measurement of luck, though I've become kind of skeptical about its actual value when compared to its components, which are...
Shooting percentage and save percentage: why volatility in these two percentages can either make teams look better or worse than they actually are over a given sample.
Zone starts: measures how often a player is sent out by his coach for an offensive or defensive zone faceoff. Can often explain why some players look better or worse than their possession metrics might indicate.
And my favorite things ever: usage charts. Can't really summarize these, but they're fun to look at to get a more holistic view of individual player performance.

I'd love to hear more about all the "fancy" stats.

Also, what do you mean by blocked shots? Shots that another non-goalie player blocks, or does it include saves? It seems to me (I know nothing about hockey) that if you're looking for a proxy for possession you'd want to include all shot attempts, regardless of outcome (miss, goal, save, block).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread