Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

HELLO LADIES posted:

And then there's Edmonton, where you have all three factors and also their VP of hockey ops essentially tried to blackmail a player into paying back a couple million dollars worth of bonus money he'd already been paid that he was legally entitled to by contract, or he wouldn't be traded :v:

Yup, that'd be my team, I think what's annoying about the Oilers right now is they have great players (three consecutive #1 picks will do that to you) and finally fixed the goaltending problem (we flat-out stole Ben Scrivens from LA, I think) but the organization is such a basket case. GMs that panic-signed players, a revolving door of coaches, high-demand UFAs going "lol no" and signing for less for other teams and other shenanigans that resulted in near fan-revolt this season.

Oh, and you also have a fanbase that could be considered to have Borderline Personality Disorder when it comes to attachment to their team.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Worth noting that he's gone from "famously helmetless player of a game full of headshots" to general manager of the famously terrible Edmonton Oilers.

Are these two related? You decide!

And in between that he was Oilers coach when they actually were kinda good (at least in the playoff race every season) and was the first in a long line of coaches to get the boot once they started sucking. Now he's GM and actually succeeding in some trades and managed to off-load two old players (Hemsky and Horcoff) with no burned bridges which are two highlights of the trainwreck of last season.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Can someone explain why the Florida Panthers are so bad, and when they were good, why?

When they were good: they made it to the finals in 1996 which was shocking at the time but they got utterly destroyed by Colorado in a 4-0 sweep that didn't surprise anyone. Colorado at the time was absolutely STACKED from the Eric Lindros trade the former Quebec Nordiques performed before moving to Denver (Eric Lindros is a whole 'nother story). This run is best known for a player, Scott Mellanby, killing a rat in the locker room with a slap shot leading to fans tossing rubber rats on the ice before/during games (welcome to Hockey).

They also had an almost-run in 2012 where they finally made the playoffs after a 12-year drought where they drat-near eliminated New Jersey in the quarterfinals (Jersey went to the Finals) and were considered a contender for the Cup if they knocked off the Devils. This whole playoff was weird because LA won the Cup despite squeaking into the 8th spot (and being the butt of "lol why is hockey there" jokes for decades) and going on a loving RUN where they were a juggernaut of epic proportions (that honestly frightened people) and, to this day, are a Cup contender that everyone fears.

Someone else can explain why they are bad because it's really just another case of them rebuilding, then falling apart and trading their good players to other teams before going into rebuild again. Basically, they were the Edmonton for the longest time (yes, Oilers fan and I'm officially being self-deprecating towards my team).

Basically, the Florida Panthers are a pretty terrible team that all of a loving sudden becomes good for ONE moment before sucking again.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 11, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Y-Hat posted:

^^^ Yeah, I can't see the Coyotes staying for any length of time after their five-year deal in Glendale is up. By then Seattle will be aching for a big-time tenant in their new arena. Shame that the Panthers are staying because it sounds like a mausoleum there except when the Rangers are in town.

If we can include former or dead owners, "Dollar" Bill Wirtz (Chicago Blackhawks) was so godawful that he made an Original Six team irrelevant under his watch. Chief among his crimes was refusing to air games on local TV so that fans would have an incentive to go to the games in person, except nobody came to see them live either because they were terrible. After they missed the playoffs for the first time in almost three decades in 1998, they made the playoffs once up until Bill's death in 2007. Then his son took over and they won the Stanley Cup three seasons later. Imagine that.

Rangers or any Canadian team, especially the Leafs, because of all the Snowbirds (Canadians rich enough to live somewhere warm to escape the winter) that are in Florida.

flakeloaf posted:

...you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger prick than the Maple Leafs' former owner Harold Ballard. An arrogant, misogynist tyrant and ex-convict who made Steinbrenner look even-handed, Ballard had no respect for anyone in the Leafs organization. This is a guy who fired an intern for refusing to walk his dog. Hockey fans in Toronto are loyal to a fault (they reportedly sold out every game for 50 years straight or something ridiculous like that) and Ballard knew that they'd show up to see just about anyone as long as they were wearing blue shirts, so he hired the cheapest, shittiest players available and the organization stunk out loud for years under his "ownership". Then the old bastard died, competent adults took over and five years later the team played in back-to-back conference finals.

Everyone can read the Wikipedia page on Harold Ballard to find out how much of a scumbag (he makes Donald Sterling look like Pope Francis) he was because we could talk for hours on his infamous acts. The one most people consider to be the slimiest and pettiest is him literally selling the Stanley Cup banners that were won under his predecessor Conn Smythe out of jealousy. The NHL gave the Leafs new banners after they moved into the Air Canada Centre.

Coca Koala posted:

Which new arena is that? Everything I've read on getting the NHL in Seattle indicates that there needs to be an NBA team incoming to build the arena, and everything I've read on getting the NBA in Seattle indicates that it will happen sometime never.

Seattle is trying to get an NBA team first (to replace the Sonics who left under some pretty shady circumstances) but when built it COULD host an NHL team and with Phoenix being as screwed as they are Seattle is in-line with Quebec City as realistic options for a moved team. The arena is in the preliminary stages because Seattle needs an anchor tenant before building.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Coca Koala posted:

Right, I've been following the attempt to get an NBA team in Seattle for a while. But you're talking about it like it's a certainty that the arena is going to be built and that Seattle will want an NHL team for it sometime within the next ten years, and I'm curious where that certainty is coming from.

It really hinges on if they can get an NBA franchise then Seattle will put forth a serious effort to building the arena. I wasn't saying for sure shovels in the ground right away just that Seattle seems serious enough about it. As far as an NHL franchise goes, I wasn't speaking with absolute certainty that if the thing is built NHL is coming just that Phoenix is having troubles (at least in five years time) and the city's name will become a candidate along with the usual suspects (Quebec City, Las Vegas, Kansas City, etc.) the media loves to toss around once the Coyotes are in trouble again.

• Locked thread