Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelamir
Jun 25, 2005
This thread is a great idea! I started following the Bruins after the olympics partly as something to follow in the NFL offseason and more because hockey is AWESOME (as the olympics showed me, so hopefully they let the players go in 4 years). I get the rules but not a lot of the nitty gritty/culture stuff so...

A few (maybe many) GDTs ago someone said Marchand was the kind of player you really don't like unless he's on your team - why? Is it his play style? Is this a Bruins thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelamir
Jun 25, 2005

goldrush posted:

Marchand is a douchebag but he's an effective player. He's what known as a "pest" or an "agitator". He gets under the skin of opponents because of his borderline-legal playstyle - questionable hits, trashtalking, taunting, embellishment, and general antics of the sort. However he's also skilled at putting up points and perhaps throwing opposing players off their game. That's what people mean when they say they hate him but he's the kind of guy you want on your side.

With all that said, I'm a Canucks fan so I generally think Marchand is a straight-up dickface and his other talents don't matter because gently caress that guy. He's fundamentally a bad person, whereas Alex Burrows (perhaps Vancouver's answer to Marchand) is at least a likeable person off-ice (here's when a Bruins fan says I'm butthurt).

Players like Claude Lemieux, Esa Tikkanen, Steve Ott, etc. are some more examples of this type of player. Universally hated until they're on your side.

PS: You should be proud that you are a new hockey fan but ashamed that you are a Bruins fan half-joking

Thank you for the thorough explanation! (Nose Face Killah, awful) I'm sure I'll notice this more during the playoffs - glad to have a sport that doesn't hide player personalities a ton!

I've been stockholm syndrome'd since moving to the Boston area - my best excuse.

• Locked thread