Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Division champs are an official thing? I thought it was just what loser teams (Detroit) would hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McPhock posted:

Probably not an ideal place for this question, but....

Did anyone else watching the Pens/Flyers game YESterday hear Daniel Byran's wrestling theme song playing in the arena just before the 3rd period?

Hockey arenas love wrestling themes. You still hear Hardcore Holly and the Hardy Boys themes a lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HELLO LADIES posted:

It's important to note that a lot of what fans consider "staged fights" aren't actually staged. Maybe not in this particular case, but there's an entire etiquette around when to fight the other guy, like it's considered Not Cool to fight a guy at the end of his shift if you're at the start, because that's not a fair matchup, and plenty of guys have expressed the opinion that when they absolutely know they're going to have to fight that game anyway, they prefer to get it over with as early as possible. There can also be multi-game chains of causation for fights that get started early, stemming from an incident(s) even as far back as the previous season. A lot more of the fights are "organic", or at least have a narrative of significance constructed around them by the fighters, than many anti-fighting fans seem to want to credit. There have been so many changes to the rules around fighting, mostly at the behest of the league/owners, that the "spontaneous street justice for dirty play" fights can be a lot more dangerous in hockey terms (penalties, etc) for the guy who starts them and that's entirely subject to ref discretion, so in a lot of ways the timeframe for those incidents has gotten stretched out, specifically so the refs can't get as involved.

Now, that's not to say that the whole idea of player enforcement and fighting as deterrents is or is not entirely bogus itself, but the issue is a lot more complicated than this whole idea of "staged fights".

Everything you just said describes exactly why they're called staged.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Detroit's star player is a homophobe douche. Also they call themselves Hockeytown despite not even being in the top 3 of US markets (and well behind when we count Canada.) That is a significant misnomer!

If you're a fan of douchiness though, by all means...

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They are apparently changing the rule next season to forcing the center to take the face off from further back rather than being kicked out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

junidog posted:

I'd love to hear more about all the "fancy" stats.

Also, what do you mean by blocked shots? Shots that another non-goalie player blocks, or does it include saves? It seems to me (I know nothing about hockey) that if you're looking for a proxy for possession you'd want to include all shot attempts, regardless of outcome (miss, goal, save, block).

Shots are saves+goals already in the NHL. If it misses the net, it's not a shot. The simple description is that if it would have gone in had the goalie not been there, it's a shot*.

So Corsi takes that existing stat and adds misses and blocks to it. Fenwick just adds misses.

*: This sometimes leads to situations where something that is not a shot on goal becomes a shot on goal because physics put it in the net. For example a shot that goes over the net is not a shot on goal. But if it ricochets and ends up in the net off the goalie's back or something, it magically becomes one even though the goalie not being there actually would have prevented it from being a goal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Where the hell is the goalie at around 4:10?

Montreal pulled him for an extra attacker. You're allowed to do that whenever you want. It's a common tactic in the last few minutes of a game when you're down 1 or 2.

Teams also pull the goalie on a delayed penalty (play only stops when the other team touches the puck) because it's impossible for the opponent to score unless the team puts it in their own net. And yes, that has happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Ahh ok. When I didn't see him at the goal I started looking down the ice to see if he was down there because I figured that he was the extra attacker but I guess it makes more sense to have a dedicated player that's actually purposed for the task rather than someone in all that clunky gear. I'm sure it's happened at least once but has a goalie ever scored a goal?

Yes. There was even one this past season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6TEDp94-k

Slightly more often than goalies actually shooting it in the net you have goalies credited with a goal by being the last player on their team to touch the puck before the other team accidentally scores on themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goaltenders_who_have_scored_a_goal_in_an_NHL_game

Martin Brodeur has the most with 3 goals in his career. He actually shot 1 of them. Ron Hextall is the only goalie to have more than 1 off his own shot.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They only had the 1 originally. It's contagious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Euro leagues actually draft North American prospects that will never actually go there.

They usually go later in the drafts, but they do include them.

The NHL is taking that risk when they draft Europeans too, but it's rare they don't come over. They don't draft blind, they know who wants to play in the NHL or not.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HELLO LADIES posted:

Didn't some KHL team do the equivalent of granting TayTay exceptional player status so they could draft him first overall in their import draft when he was like 16 or something like that?

His Wiki page says Kazan drafted him 89th overall. They draft at 17 normally though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I got a question.

What's with the references to Evil Waldo that have been floating around the n/v thread? I remember him as a poster/ know he hasn't been around in a while, but I wasn't posting when whatever people are referring to happened and I don't get it

He was responding to someone complaining about the Flyers and said that just complaining on the forums does nothing, and quoted some tweets he had made to them about how Giroux should have his C taken away and stuff.

People called him out on how dumb that is, and he said that he has been a "thorn in the side of management on twitter" and that he heard from an inside source that he has been labelled a "disgruntled fan".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's the series of posts. It's in archives.

He's responding to some general complaining about the Philly media and Giroux. This was back when Giroux wasn't scoring.

evilwaldo posted:

If the media is going to call him out at least do it like I did to Giroux and Hartnell almost a week ago.

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk so @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 are you going to wear those letters on your jersey with pride or roll over like you have done so far

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 Let's see if you can rise and lead this team. That is why you wear those letters on your jersey.

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

MagicCube posted:

Wow those meaningless things you said are really great. I'm sure all that was missing from the Flyers winning games was random people on twitter questioning their ability. Do you have any more interesting twitter things you said to the Flyers?

mcvey posted:

Is that really you because:
1) lol
2) it didn't work

evilwaldo posted:

(To MagicCube)
Next time you have something useful to add to the discussion it will be the first time. Thanks.

(To mcvey)
Actually, I have been a thorn in the side of management on Twitter and social media for sometime now. I do know that they did not like my criticizing the team last year and the signings over the summer.

That much has gotten back to me over the last year.

(A ton of people laughing at him)

evilwaldo posted:

I do know that Comcast has poked around the general identity stuff which would make sense because they are the owners of the Flyers.

I also know that internally I was labeled a 'disgruntled fan'.

I do not know if they know about the season ticket group I am a part of so I need to keep a somewhat low profile.

I have been quiet for the most part to put off the label of a disgruntled fan.

For those that put down social media and may not understand it. For those that rag on it there are others posting tweets every day (here in the last hour) so people do care. Some may not but a lot of people do care about their brands and images online.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did it without taking away the A or C, still relevant!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Ok, so the IIHF world championships happen soon, right? Is it as fun to watch as the Olympics? How are players selected to the national teams? How come the Olympics make the NHL go on a break but the World Championships don't?

They're invited.

The Worlds are every year so it's not that big a deal really. The NHL really doesn't like to stop for the Olympics as it is, they would never agree to a yearly break so players can go get hurt in Europe somewhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Number Two Stunna posted:

How do I become the organ player at a hockey arena? That sounds like such a cool job.

I think there was a goon not too long ago who actually applied for one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not a good goalie.

Bad goalies can have a good season. He did, and Pittsburgh refuses to see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

No it's not a good question because first you should ask "how come Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin can't score in the playoffs anymore"

Patrice Bergeron and Chris Kelly (or whoever got the other matchup) broke them, obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It used to be pretty easy to score so they worked to limit it a bit. Now it's the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why does PK Subban own so much?

He'd own a lot more if he hadn't been forced into a bridge deal.

• Locked thread