Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaoth
Oct 21, 2010

Sleep, Nyan Cat, Lie in peace.
Lest the doors open wide,
And nyan unleashed on all.

Dreadwroth posted:

Holy crap I thought Chapter 5 was hard, ahhh how naive I was. I just hit a brick wall, and I have no idea how to get past it aside from brute forcing the answer. The hint system isn't even helping, so take that for what you will.
EDIT: Goddamn I love this game, I like having puzzles that are legit hard to solve without being super stupid hard. I would totally watch a Tex Murphy TV show with the same cast, it would be the new Magnum PI.

Please tell me it is actually something complicated logic based and not like a lot of the Day 5 stuff. Playing hidden object games started to get aggrivating there. Though personally the one that stumped me longest was the checkers looking game because I didn't realize the Question Mark button gave a puzzle description. I just figured it was some hint button and since I was playing on Gamer I always avoided it.

Also in regard to playing this before the old ones. I really wish they didn't spoil some of the twists of the the earlier games. Most of it is harmless retelling of jokes, but others I was frantically trying to stop my stream so my viewers didn't get spoiled.

Anyone know how many endings there are? Right now I seem to be on path to the creepy obsessive ending.

Klaoth fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Klaoth posted:

Please tell me it is actually something complicated logic based and not like a lot of the Day 5 stuff. Playing hidden object games started to get aggrivating there. Though personally the one that stumped me longest was the checkers looking game because I didn't realize the Question Mark button gave a puzzle description. I just figured it was some hint button and since I was playing on Gamer I always avoided it.

Also in regard to playing this before the old ones. I really wish they didn't spoil some of the twists of the the earlier games. Most of it is harmless retelling of jokes, but others I was frantically trying to stop my stream so my viewers didn't get spoiled.

Anyone know how many endings there are? Right now I seem to be on path to the creepy obsessive ending.

Welp, I am stuck on the very same puzzle and I've done what he said I should do (make there not be more than two markers on each row and column) I am missing something.

(and I figured it out, I am dumb)

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's balls hard until you work out the logic of how the puzzle works mechanically, then it's really easy. Great ending!

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Loved how this game looks but I'm having serious audio stutter issues. Seems like this is a known issue that is being worked so I'm hoping they get resolved soon.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

Some people are :qq: that it's on Steam and not GOG.com, but I think most people will be fine.

I thought this was no big deal, but it wouldn't go away. A bunch of :arghfist::spergin: people on the official forums (and nowhere else) flipped the gently caress out claiming they'd been promised GOG.com keys (were they? That's debatable) and would not accept Steam codes. So to appease these nerds, Big Finish decided to give out GOG.com codes as well. That means there are a couple thousand extra free game codes out in the world.

It's too kind of Big Finish to depend on backers' scruples like this. If you're a backer, you may have received the message and your new GOG.com key. Big Finish have asked us not to give them away to others, so please do not. Someone posted this, describing why:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm going to use the GOG code, too, because I think they can wrangle more extras. The amount of people freaking out about no GOG codes was laughable. It's still DRM free on Steam.

Edit: Also, this project is one of the few kickstarter projects that has completed on time, on budget, with all promised features included with no back peddling. The sense of entitlement is crazy, but Big Finish has been nothing but gracious. Pure class from them and I would back another project tomorrow.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 10, 2014

Klaoth
Oct 21, 2010

Sleep, Nyan Cat, Lie in peace.
Lest the doors open wide,
And nyan unleashed on all.
Steam is most definitely not DRM free.

Anyone else have problems with audio in the game? I have to do all sorts of shenanigans to try to get the voices in the game up to a reasonable level each time I start the game up. Meanwhile the background sounds are fairly loud and can barely be adjusted yet alone turned off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Klaoth posted:

Steam is most definitely not DRM free.

Meaning you tried to run the game with Steam closed and it wouldn't let you?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Meaning you tried to run the game with Steam closed and it wouldn't let you?

The game runs fine without Steam turned on and you can copy and back up its files as you wish. The part of Steam that makes DRM work is optional and developers can turn it off, which Big Finish did. But that's not good enough for some people. :shrug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

The game runs fine without Steam turned on and you can copy and back up its files as you wish. The part of Steam that makes DRM work is optional and developers can turn it off, which Big Finish did. But that's not good enough for some people. :shrug:

I know that, just wondering if it wasn't for working for him for some reason or if he was just making a dumb assumption. If someone thinks having to download a thing through a client then the entire internet is DRM (and so is GOG).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just beat the game and it was pretty great. However day 8 and 9 gently caress the giant spider enemies and gently caress the spider maze trigger warning that poo poo big finish

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I am lost again, what am I supposed to do with the circled letters. I found all seven but can't seem to use them anywhere and I can't really find anything else to do in here.

Looking at them just tells me I need seven of them, which I already have.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\I wonder if there might be a door to use them on?

cheesetriangles posted:

I just beat the game and it was pretty great. However day 8 and 9 gently caress the giant spider enemies and gently caress the spider maze trigger warning that poo poo big finish

Yeah that part was a bit out of nowhere, but seemed fitting strangely for essentially a 90s FMV game when you think about it.
I beat the game, and it seems like a few conversations don't really go anywhere. I'd be curious to see if they were cut due to time constraints or they just forgot about them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth posted:

I beat the game, and it seems like a few conversations don't really go anywhere. I'd be curious to see if they were cut due to time constraints or they just forgot about them.

I just beat it tonight (got a downer ending: Chelsee got married to someone else, Tex ended up going vigilante and I'm wondering if the conversation issues is partly due to the multiple paths. The cryo chamber especially seemed odd as it vanished after that first scene to never be seen again, though it was discussed briefly. St. Germaine had no relevance after the chat with him and Aria, but I suspect he might be more involved if you choose to work with her more.

And yes gently caress that spider maze. I want to replay for a different ending but that one part is making me hesitant.

I ran into a bug on Day 8/9 as well where I just randomly died in one of the hallways of the place. There was nothing around that could have killed me.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 11, 2014

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Fredrik1 posted:

I am lost again, what am I supposed to do with the circled letters. I found all seven but can't seem to use them anywhere and I can't really find anything else to do in here.

Looking at them just tells me I need seven of them, which I already have.

Ugh, that's exactly where I'm stuck now. I have the letters, and you enter them in a pad next to the door where Mason is kept. But stepping to close to the door kills you, so I don't know how to do that.

EDIT:

V V V Yep, I found it. I thought I looked at that part of the floor several times, but I guess not hard enough.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 11, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ema Nymton posted:

Ugh, that's exactly where I'm stuck now. I have the letters, and you enter them in a pad next to the door where Mason is kept. But stepping to close to the door kills you, so I don't know how to do that.

Check back in the headmaster's office and storage room. You've missed something that's not too obvious.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

I ran into a bug on Day 8/9 as well where I just randomly died in one of the hallways of the place. There was nothing around that could have killed me.

Are you sure? There's a hornet flying around that you might not even notice or run into at all that can kill you.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wow Mokinokaro that's super different from my ending. The chief detective guy wanted to arrest Tex for murder but Taylor came and offered evidence about all the killings Slade did so the detective said he would give him a pass. The Tex and Taylor made a lot of jokes about sex and Tex lived happily ever after

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
My ending was...bizarre.

I had screwed up with both women so I think I got "the petrified forest ending".
After being arrested at the end by the Chief, Tex goes after the sunglasses guy via a Sin City stylised closer where he wins a shootout in some western pub and leaves with Sapphire in tow.

Then Tex muses on about second chances and we learn the larpers died fighting morlocks.

I'll have to do another playthrough as there were a few major holes.
What just did Tex do in his seven years? Apparently rejecting Taylor skips you going to a resort to find out more.
What happened to Chelsea? In my play-through Tex had setup a creepy shrine to her. And beyond being told she was alive you never meet her.

Overall it was fun despite the ending feeling like it was running short on polish.
Day 5 can go die in a fire.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So if anyone else is really bad at sliding block puzzles, I found a solver. You have to have messed around with the thing enough to figure out how it's supposed to look, but gently caress it, if you can get that far but be as poo poo as I am at manipulating these things, you win. Here you go!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Just beat this game.

Honestly, it's very well done, with a few flaws as the above posters has pointed out.
To answer the above questions, I think you need to take the other "paths" in the game.

I got the Tex and Chelsee ending. :unsmith:

I would throw my wallet at Big Finish for another one, but honestly, I'm not sure where they would from here.
Sad as it may be to say it, perhaps it's time for Tex to hang up the hat?

Who else got a big laugh when you throw the egg at the choice at Slade?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow I am really going to need to play this a few times, I got the super happy stay with Taylor end everything works out ending, though I had Rook saying he needed to check on something but that never panned out and the cryo chamber disappears.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

neongrey posted:

So if anyone else is really bad at sliding block puzzles, I found a solver. You have to have messed around with the thing enough to figure out how it's supposed to look, but gently caress it, if you can get that far but be as poo poo as I am at manipulating these things, you win. Here you go!

I just finished this part but have no idea what it changed once it got solved.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Who else got a big laugh when you throw the egg at the choice at Slade?
I did, Tex being so chipper before being squashed/incinerated was so hilarious to me

So do the plot choices actually change the story and open up new areas? I thought it only effected the endings or something.I got the Chelsea ending as well, although did anybody else think the injection and taking her memory felt a bit...weird? It was only explained in a single line and I wasn't sure why that had to happen.

also anybody else managed to get all of the Mike and Ike comics? I've missed one, I'm guessing it would unlock the door next to the comics in Tex's office?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

My ending was...bizarre.

Yeah that's the same one I got except with one chief difference Tex did track Chelsea down and found out she was married. He leaves a message on her voicemail wishing her well in her new life.

Also yes some of the paths do have other areas/extra dialogue. I know in one you go into the sewers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Are all these endings people are talking about based on things the player doesn't necessarily know is in their control (how long it takes to do X puzzle, did you talk to this person after doing Y, etc) or is it more based on dialogue choices like Pandora Directive?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Are all these endings people are talking about based on things the player doesn't necessarily know is in their control (how long it takes to do X puzzle, did you talk to this person after doing Y, etc) or is it more based on dialogue choices like Pandora Directive?

Purely dialogue choices. You can which current path you're on in the ESC menu but there's a good number of places you can change paths.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm on day 2. I'm supposed to look for the woman on the photo but I can't find anything. The hint system tells me to talk to Holly but she's not in the hotel. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Talk to your landlord on the main floor of the hotel.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That did it, thanks. Can't believe I've walked passed that door a dozen times without noticing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

synertia posted:

I just finished this part but have no idea what it changed once it got solved.

You may need to fiddle the brightness; there should be some numbers visible on the painting now.

Renoistic posted:

That did it, thanks. Can't believe I've walked passed that door a dozen times without noticing.

Ugh, I know, that one seems to catch a lot of people, me included.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was able to talk to Holly easily on the second day, just had issues finding all the baseball cards

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Spoilers about the resort house did anyone ever find the code needed to open the safe? what was in it?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Stuck in day 7

need to get the screwdriver. Hint system says there's a cloest door in the upper bedroom where a grapple arm is. But I don't see any closet door in the upper bedroom. Am I missing something really obvious?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

cheesetriangles posted:

Spoilers about the resort house did anyone ever find the code needed to open the safe? what was in it?

Yeah, it's on the back of the cocktail napkin with the phone number on it, next to the bed. Inside the safe, there's an account statement for Tex's offshore bank account.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Stuck in day 7

need to get the screwdriver. Hint system says there's a cloest door in the upper bedroom where a grapple arm is. But I don't see any closet door in the upper bedroom. Am I missing something really obvious?

It's in there I think it was a curtain not a door.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

cheesetriangles posted:

It's in there I think it was a curtain not a door.

Oh that's weird. I could have sworn I opened up that curtain before and went into the next room. Haha, I think I got disoriented.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

gently caress hidden object puzzles forever :argh: They make me wish I didn't pick gamer difficulty.

Seriously, where are these symbols in the castle. Broke piece #9 eludes me. It's a miracle that I ever found the hook for the well too.

Edit: Found it. It was the one in the middle pillar.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 12, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

All of the broken pieces are in that one room.

Most of them are on the beds, but one is on one of the support pillars in the middle of the room, and another is on one of the bedposts. At a guess it's probably one of those you're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Some of the puzzle design in the back half the game was pretty questionable/frustrating.

• Locked thread