Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Stuck on day 10 where are the gravity lifts? I've looked all around the tower

Man I hate pixel hunting.

edit: found it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Stuck on day 10 where are the gravity lifts? I've looked all around the tower

Man I hate pixel hunting.

Exit the tower and they'll be pretty close on your left, on the ground. Maybe ten, twenty feet away. They're about the size of a frisbee, so you shouldn't have trouble noticing them when you're looking in the right area. I believe there's a small box next to them, as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Solved the game. I got one of the more crappy endings though it seems. Wondering what changes it. I never betrayed Chelsea but never found her :(

If the dialog choices affect the path you take it's frustrating because it's difficult to know what Tex is going to say with the dialog options. Many are very obtuse.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 12, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's entirely dialogue, yeah. There's actually a guide on Steam of all places which has the choices you need to make (it's not exact, but it does call out the critical conversations). For Chelsee's path, you can lock yourself out of it really painfully early, apparently. :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

neongrey posted:

It's entirely dialogue, yeah. There's actually a guide on Steam of all places which has the choices you need to make (it's not exact, but it does call out the critical conversations). For Chelsee's path, you can lock yourself out of it really painfully early, apparently. :(

Yea you weren't kidding. Just restarted the game and made sure to play the first conversation correctly, and that opened up an entire new dialog when you first go to the police station

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there any way to pause during the FMV parts? My only annoyance so far is getting interrupted while playing and being left clueless as :words: kept going.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Right click during an FMV to get a pause, skip and rewind option.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So, so obvious. :doh:

I think I need to start over and start taking written notes to keep track of everyone. Pretty fun so far, just a lot of characters.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I keep running into the problem that Tex seems to know people or things that have happened that he shouldn't know at that time.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Alright, another puzzle question. What the hell do I have to do to get the satellite fixed? I already went though the beehive and solved the color puzzle in the power station at the end. The satellite has a big green "power on" sign now, but if I click on it then Tex still says that I have to find the power station to reset the satellite. What did I miss?

Edit: I figured it out almsot immediately after posting this. I had actually already solved the puzzle, and needed to go back to the communications room. I blame Tex's bad hints :downs:

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 13, 2014

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Ooh, I finally completed the game, and got the ultimate happy ending. :neckbeard: Chelsee and Tex together again. I think I was able to get there on the first try since I was so focused on her myself. Yet it's still kinda bizarre. Chelsee chooses to erase her memory of 7 years so she and Tex can be as they had been before. For a man, she's going to alter her brain. Isn't that emotionally unhealthy? Can't we hear more of her story first? And I guess Ault is chopped liver? He's a really great dude if he's letting his wife leave him for another guy. Oh well, it was a good ending either way.

synertia posted:

I keep running into the problem that Tex seems to know people or things that have happened that he shouldn't know at that time.

Yes, that's very strange. I guess you could say that it's because of residual memory from his past persona, but no, it makes no sense. It's just weird. That doesn't make it a bad game at all, but... my immersion! :qq:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just finished it. I stuck with Taylor all the way, and predictably got the ending with her bailing me out. I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't more than just that. I never even met Chelsee, and overall it felt like some loose ends were never resolved. Are the endings purely just which girl you get? or is there more to it?

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I was messing around, and I've found out that other than the good Chelsee ending, you can jump onto the Taylor and Ariel path from any path at the day six scene at the resort. Best scene for me was Ménage a Tex, but that will put you on the petrified forest path. You probably want to pick Taylor's path from the first major conversation you can because you get to explore the resort and find out more about Tex. The whole multiple endings thing makes Tesla effect feel very visual novely to me because you need to do multiple paths to get more of the story/backstory.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

tankadillo posted:

I just finished it. I stuck with Taylor all the way, and predictably got the ending with her bailing me out. I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't more than just that. I never even met Chelsee, and overall it felt like some loose ends were never resolved. Are the endings purely just which girl you get? or is there more to it?

I took the Taylor option as well and got the same ending. I concur with the whole Chelsee thing, never played the original games so I had no idea whom she was or why. Wish YouTube had the other endings as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Malek posted:

Wish YouTube had the other endings as well.

If you grab the bink video player all of the endings are in the game folder as .bk2 files. The endings have really obvious names though are split into a couple videos each

Klaoth
Oct 21, 2010

Sleep, Nyan Cat, Lie in peace.
Lest the doors open wide,
And nyan unleashed on all.
So ending question, what do you need to do to get the Chelsee ending as oppossed to the Petrified Forest one? I "stayed true" in both dialogue trees in Tex's office and at the resort, but had been on path for the Petrified Forest ending ever since talking with Taylor in Tex's office.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Mokinokaro posted:

If you grab the bink video player all of the endings are in the game folder as .bk2 files. The endings have really obvious names though are split into a couple videos each

And that's my project tonight. Thanks.

(EDIT) And I'm very content with the ending I received...

Malek fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 14, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Klaoth posted:

So ending question, what do you need to do to get the Chelsee ending as oppossed to the Petrified Forest one? I "stayed true" in both dialogue trees in Tex's office and at the resort, but had been on path for the Petrified Forest ending ever since talking with Taylor in Tex's office.

You missed one big one: bring her up the first time the police drag you in. It'll make a lot of sense why it puts you on that path.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I think you also need to ask Louie about her the first time you talk to him

hieropants
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished, got the Chelsee ending of course. I like this game a lot but I have to say the pacing felt a little weird- there were some points where they just dumped a ton of exposition on you and some things that seemed like they might have been important were just glossed over. I know this was originally intended to be a trilogy, so I guess that's what happens when you condense three games into one... I'll probably get a little more info when I play through the other paths, but I'd really like to hear the what the full story is sometime.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Where the heck is the safe key in the swamp house?

Edit: Never mind, got it. I completely forgot about something.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 15, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Just finished day 1 and enjoying it a lot so far. Under a killing moon was one of the best games of the 90s and this feels like a worthy successor.

I am a bit disappointed in the general graphics though, could have looked a lot nicer.

Lucky the FMVs make up for it!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just finished the game today. Quite enjoyable overall, although the polygon hunting got a bit grating toward the end. Object combinations were very sensical, no cat hair mustaches, I'm afraid. Some aspects of the plot are a bit disjointed, though. I actually thought the game looked great, but since I remember playing Under a Killing Moon in 1994 or whatever your mileage may vary.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Velius posted:

Just finished the game today. Quite enjoyable overall, although the polygon hunting got a bit grating toward the end. Object combinations were very sensical, no cat hair mustaches, I'm afraid. Some aspects of the plot are a bit disjointed, though. I actually thought the game looked great, but since I remember playing Under a Killing Moon in 1994 or whatever your mileage may vary.

Thing is, for its time in 1994, UAKM looked fantastic. The environments were really well textured and modelled and looked great despite being pixelated.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Thing is, for its time in 1994, UAKM looked fantastic. The environments were really well textured and modelled and looked great despite being pixelated.

UAKM and Pandora Directive both have amazing looking graphics for their time. Mostly because objects in the environments were sprite based (and most, iirc, were basically scanned photographs.)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Dreadwroth posted:

/\/\I wonder if there might be a door to use them on?

Hey, thanks, I didn't think of that because I kept dying because there were something else I should have done first.

Mokinokaro posted:

Check back in the headmaster's office and storage room. You've missed something that's not too obvious.

God dammit, I went past this thing like a hundred times, looking all over this room for something to do in it. Thanks!

Ok, I cannot for the life of me find the keycard I need inside Margrets cellar, I am really terrible at pixel hunting. :(

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 17, 2014

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Fredrik1 posted:

Ok, I cannot for the life of me find the keycard I need inside Margrets cellar, I am really terrible at pixel hunting. :(

There are so many items to collect in this game that it's basically impossible for anyone to keep track of any of them, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the keycard was the thing that was in the safe behind the painting on the upper floor of the library.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Tunahead posted:

There are so many items to collect in this game that it's basically impossible for anyone to keep track of any of them, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the keycard was the thing that was in the safe behind the painting on the upper floor of the library.

Thanks, I thought the solution to the safe thing was behind the door, the way my monitor was calibrated it was next to impossible to see the solution to how to get into the safe, but I got it now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Fredrik1 posted:

Thanks, I thought the solution to the safe thing was behind the door, the way my monitor was calibrated it was next to impossible to see the solution to how to get into the safe, but I got it now.

PgUp/PgDown will adjust the game's brightness, I was loving with it constantly through the game, it helped a lot for finding stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I finished the game. I was surprised to get the Petrified Forest ending since I knocked back advances from both women to stay loyal to Chelsee. Otherwise it was a good game, I enjoyed the humour and most of the story in it. Will probably play it again to see what other endings I can unlock

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I did as well, really like the game, did get the bad ending though.

I'm still missing one mike and ike commic :(

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Fredrik1 posted:

I did as well, really like the game, did get the bad ending though.

I'm still missing one mike and ike commic :(
Yeah, I missed a single one too. Anybody else find them all? Did anything neat happen?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Not liking all these pixel-hunts. What the heck am I supposed to do at the (day 5) stealth section? I've found the letters but can't find a key or keycard.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Renoistic posted:

Not liking all these pixel-hunts. What the heck am I supposed to do at the (day 5) stealth section? I've found the letters but can't find a key or keycard.
There's a keycard on the floor by the rack of hoods in the storeroom. I totally skimmed over that.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Jblade posted:

Yeah, I missed a single one too. Anybody else find them all? Did anything neat happen?

I did. Nothing happens! Tex just says "Niiice" when you click on the comic book rack.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

Ooh, I finally completed the game, and got the ultimate happy ending. :neckbeard: Chelsee and Tex together again. I think I was able to get there on the first try since I was so focused on her myself. Yet it's still kinda bizarre. Chelsee chooses to erase her memory of 7 years so she and Tex can be as they had been before. For a man, she's going to alter her brain. Isn't that emotionally unhealthy? Can't we hear more of her story first? And I guess Ault is chopped liver? He's a really great dude if he's letting his wife leave him for another guy. Oh well, it was a good ending either way.
OK, now I get it. This all makes a lot more sense when you realize that Thompson Ault is gay. Probably for Mason Bauers. Ault's involvement in all this business is otherwise unclear.

What a subtle detail. I've completed the game with all endings, and I'm intrigued with the mysteries it leaves behind. I suppose it's good that they don't lay out everything for us, since that makes it complex and leaves room for more games.

But maybe the upcoming book will have more details? There were novelizations of both Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, and so Tesla Effect is getting one too. If you pre-order on Aaron Conners' website http://www.aaronconners.net/ he'll sign it upon request. :)

If you know anyone who doesn't play video games but does read mystery and noir, they might enjoy these books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WebDog posted:

There's a keycard on the floor by the rack of hoods in the storeroom. I totally skimmed over that.

Thanks! Too bad the next couple of "puzzles" were easy as hell and followed by yet another collectathon. The last stretch of the game needs to be fantastic or else the game is kind of poo poo, to be honest.

EDIT: OK, day 7 was pretty good.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 19, 2014

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a physical copy of the soundtrack? If not, what's the best place to buy it digitally that is DRM free and supports the developer / music artist

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

synertia posted:

I did. Nothing happens! Tex just says "Niiice" when you click on the comic book rack.

Reload the game. There'll be a Day 13 there if you beat the game with all comics.

The comic everyone is missing is probably from the roof of the moonshine shack in the swamp house. You have to climb the ladder after you repair it but before you pick it up to cross the bridge.

Ema Nymton posted:

But maybe the upcoming book will have more details? There were novelizations of both Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, and so Tesla Effect is getting one too. If you pre-order on Aaron Conners' website http://www.aaronconners.net/ he'll sign it upon request. :)

The UAKM book was really interesting because it was clearly based on planning notes rather than the finished game. There's a lot of weird deviation (as opposed to the novelization of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, which is note for note exact, right down to the silly puzzles) but it works since it is in fact a book, and not an adventure game.

Also it really makes me hungry for grilled cheese every time I read it.

I never did read the Pandora Directive book though.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Holy poo poo, thought the thread title was a joke. :stare:

I'm trying to think if there's ever been another game like this, that's all "sup, there hasn't been an installment in a decade, and we're gonna put one out exactly like if we had back in the day (but with modern tech)".

I can't even think of any movie sequels that do that.

• Locked thread