Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I'm so happy. Tex Murphy games really were the best of the best when it came to the "interactive movie" genre of games. The gameplay consisted of actually navigating places and solving puzzles and fiddling with knobs, instead of just clicking the right bit of a looping FMV backdrop, and the story was fun and compelling, if a little hokey. The setting was really interesting, and while the thing didn't take itself too seriously, it did still invest in presenting the serious parts as actually serious instead of hiding behind several protective layers of irony.

This is the series that Internet Celebrities™ forgot, because it seems sincere and doesn't contain terribly delivered dumb lines you can repeat over and over as a substitute for comedy, or monetize by printing them on t-shirts. And if that's not a glowing endorsement of the series, I don't know what is.

April 22 can't arrive fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Played it for a couple hours, made it to the end of Day 1. It's got that old goofy Tex charm and you start out in familiar Old San Francisco, but even there you can see that things have changed a bit.

Environments are mostly pretty good so far, although there are some lower resolution textures.

FMVs look really nice and sharp, and in addition to all the stuff shot for this game, there are flashbacks to footage from the older games when you examine some scenery and items.

Conversations progress pretty naturally, but sometimes you're given multiple choices and they can be a bit baffling and vague.

In typical noir detective fashion, the plot is raising more questions than it's answering right now and it's hard to tell where exactly it's going, but it's definitely going somewhere. I also got the impression that Tesla Effect might have multiple endings like The Pandora Directive did, but it's hard to say for sure at this early stage. Day 1 was quite brief and seemed to just lay the groundwork for the plot. Many interesting characters were already introduced, some old, some new.

All things considered, Tesla Effect is pretty rad so far.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

tankadillo posted:

This is definitely an old school adventure game. I'm already stuck on day one :( How the hell are you supposed to get in the warehouse? I have the combination from under the rock, but it still says I need a key to open the box.

And yeah, the conversation choices can be pretty unclear. Probably my only complaint right now.

Have you been to the hotel yet? Because you definitely should go there.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You Am I posted:

Where do you put the ladder once you get it from the warehouse? I've tried putting it everywhere around the electronics store and get negative responses

Against the open window across from Tex's office. You need to have the open window itself as the target for using the ladder.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Stuck on day 10 where are the gravity lifts? I've looked all around the tower

Man I hate pixel hunting.

Exit the tower and they'll be pretty close on your left, on the ground. Maybe ten, twenty feet away. They're about the size of a frisbee, so you shouldn't have trouble noticing them when you're looking in the right area. I believe there's a small box next to them, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Fredrik1 posted:

Ok, I cannot for the life of me find the keycard I need inside Margrets cellar, I am really terrible at pixel hunting. :(

There are so many items to collect in this game that it's basically impossible for anyone to keep track of any of them, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the keycard was the thing that was in the safe behind the painting on the upper floor of the library.

• Locked thread