Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This is one of he only films on my immediate purchase list for upcoming Blurays. It's criminally underappreciated, and I think a part of that has to do with the latter form of revisionist westerns (with which it shares trappings. Post-revisionist westerns?) still being a little uncommon at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ravenous just got added to Netflix instant!

loving finally.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ravenous just got added to Netflix instant!

Just watched it for the first time in years thanks to this post, Ravenous is still awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

poo poo I haven't thought of this movie since I saw it in the theater back when it was released. I absolutely loved it, I went into it with absolutely no idea what to expect and I'd never have guessed what I was going to get. Thanks for the great OP, brought back a lot of great memories and reminded me that this is a film I need to see again.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Am I dreaming or was this song used in part of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9gOjT5qxY

I was listening to some folk music earlier and my mind just jumped "Ravenous!"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Nckdictator posted:

Am I dreaming or was this song used in part of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9gOjT5qxY

I was listening to some folk music earlier and my mind just jumped "Ravenous!"

Listen for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oskbV6RDoW4

That's really cool.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yesterday I decided to watch this movie because of all the praise it gets here. I had been awake for approximately 30 hours and had to stay up for 4 more before I had to go to school, so I was in a kind of state already. The first act didn't grab me much (except the meat scene. Jesus, between being in a kind of sleep-haze and the sound of it made for some interesting watching.) I thought the music cues were of-putting (the weird notes when the actors names came up on screen as Boyd is led to the fort, for example) or the weirdly happy and comedic music as Reich and Boyd chase Ives. I kept watching and in the last part (when Ives goes to take command of the fort) I think I either "got" the film or my brain said "y'know what? I don't care anymore. I need sleep, gently caress you" and everything just gelled together into this weird mess of tension and surprises (the re-appearance of the old general, the fight between Boyd and Ives, with knives, hammers, saws and logs). I'm definitely going to watch it again after I get some good sleep and the post before this one made me appreciate the music more, so I'm looking forward to that, more so after reading Uncle Bogeyman's view on the themes of american expansion in the west.

One thing that occurred to me is that there is the theme of gay panic that could be read from the movie as much as the theme of homosexuality itself (having another man's "essence" inside of you).
So we have Boyd, this military man who is a coward. After ingesting another man's "essence" (being at the bottom of a pile of men) he goes into a frenzy and captures the enemy base. This new knowledge of himself saves him from death (either by the Mexicans or by his army) but at the same time puts him in seclusion with similarly "defective" soldiers who were most likely sent there after a transgression. He seems to be at peace in this (celibate and austere) setting. Before long temptation arrives in the form of Calqhoun (sp?) who leads him and the other men into a trap where he hopes to trap them and have his way with them ("He was licking me!"). After the event in the cave, Ives puts Boyd in the position of having to eat out another man in order to survive (his second time, the first one being an accident or an "experiment"). When he returns to the fort, he is shamed and punished by his superior (the same one who banished him in the first place) and we get the reveal that Ives was Calhoun all along (those sneaky gays/cannibals). After some time we see Ives trying to convert the indecisive Boyd to his side, talking about the virility of the act between two men (note that its is only Knox and Cleaves who are shown to us to be in danger of being ravished by Ives, never Martha). Later after Ives manages to have Boyd put his fellow man inside of himself we see how Col. Hart seems to be ashamed of his current proclivities and asks Boyd to kill him rather than continue to live in his current state and help Ives with his plans of attacking unsuspecting men and of taking advantage of the visit by the General ("gay agenda!")

We get to the end of the movie, in which Boyd, after having eaten the flesh of another man (gay sex) and Ives (who was goading him into doing it) are both trapped in a deadly embrace (aids) as the only woman in the film watches and leaves horrified.

TLDR: Ives is a gay man trying to seduce Boyd, a confused man who already took part in consuming another mans fluids, with all the advantages of cannibalism/gay sex. When he finally commits the act, he ends up dead on top of the original gay man.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Vincent posted:

TLDR: Ives is a gay man trying to seduce Boyd, a confused man who already took part in consuming another mans fluids, with all the advantages of cannibalism/gay sex. When he finally commits the act, he ends up dead on top of the original gay man.

Not sure about this but I would've missed this thread if not for your post so thank you.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think I noticed that they are not eating steak, that would be a fancy rich's man's cut. They are eating shank, which is a tough cut, like oxtail. It works better with that nice round femur and the "eye" of the marrow staring up at Boyd.

Actually steaks were not seen as rich man's food at that time in history. There is some famous poem from the early 20th century (I think it's by Yeats but I'm not sure) that has a line about the workers returning to their homes to eat their steaks, and my high school literature book had a footnote explaining that at the time the poem was written, steaks were considered poor man's cuts, rich people ate roasts and organ meats and such.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Actually steaks were not seen as rich man's food at that time in history. There is some famous poem from the early 20th century (I think it's by Yeats but I'm not sure) that has a line about the workers returning to their homes to eat their steaks, and my high school literature book had a footnote explaining that at the time the poem was written, steaks were considered poor man's cuts, rich people ate roasts and organ meats and such.

I stand corrected! Good poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Organ meats, blecch

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And of course now offal is now back in a big way with the well-to-do.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've always been a big fan of movies that use cannibalism as a metaphor for class war. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, We Are What We Are, Society, basically anything with Hannibal Lecter, the whole George Romero Living Dead series. Any others I'm forgetting? Is there an A Modest Proposal movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Class Warfare and cannibalism, can't forget Sweeney Todd and Eating Raoul. Parents has got to be up there too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good loving call on Eating Raoul, that one would make a great double feature with Ravenous.

I've only seen the Tim Burton Sweeney Todd, which sucks, but my girlfriend has a DVD of the Angela Lansbury stage production which I've been really itchin' to watch.

Parents is a movie I love in theory but actually think kinda sucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Parents is kinda square in the middle. On the far end, you have stuff like Meet the Applegates and TerrorVision, on the other end, you have, I dunno, The Burbs and maybe Serial Mom. In the middle is where stuff like The Stepfather is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd rate the Stepfather waaaaaay higher than Parents, tho. That's a good-rear end movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's just something about Randy Quaid, man, I dunno. And the kid is one of the only tolerable weird little kid leads in a movie of this stripe that I've ever seen, so it gets bonus points.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's just something about Randy Quaid, man, I dunno. And the kid is one of the only tolerable weird little kid leads in a movie of this stripe that I've ever seen, so it gets bonus points.

I do like Randy Quaid in it, but like so many movies that aim for "David Lynch" it instead lands at "student film."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I honestly have no idea how this concept ever got reversed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Richard Cory by E. A. Robinson, I had the same text book.

"So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head. "

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I ordered the hell out of this Blu-Ray. :toot:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I honestly have no idea how this concept ever got reversed.

Marketing, really. The exact same thing happened with lobster, originally people looked at it as a poor man's dish, like you were pulling creepy looking bugs out of the sea and eating them. Then they started pitching it as a fancy rich peoples' food, and now people will dress up fancy and pay top dollar for them.

Hell, as recently as the 1900's, pink was considered a bold, masculine color for boys, and blue was a cool, feminine color for young ladies. It's funny how many things we think are innate in culture are really just marketing calls.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean more in the sense that organ meats and roasts are delicious and the only use for steak is developing powerful jaw muscles.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I find that the closer the meat is to the bone, the tastier it is.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean more in the sense that organ meats and roasts are delicious and the only use for steak is developing powerful jaw muscles.

They can both be delicious.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I stand corrected! Good poo poo.

The garbage parts of food is a delicious carousel.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Out of all the great millennial movies, Ravenous has always been one of my favourites and it's only thanks to reading the OP's analysis that I've finally realised why it never became a bigger hit. Thanks OP!

Rieux
Jan 15, 2010
Man, thanks for writing this up. I loved this movie when my brothers and I first discovered it--according to my poor memory, probably a year or two after its release. I would have been about 14.

Unlike a lot of people I guess, I think the soundtrack is what initially sold me on it. I eventually wound up buying the CD, and, later, in High School, I sat down and read Heart of Darkness in one sitting with that CD on repeat for hours. It matched the tension of the book, if not the particular setting.

I also showed the movie* to some of my friends at the time. They didn't really get why it was a great film, but they definitely understood it was a fun movie. We still quote it to each other today.

*Fun aside: my VHS copy had a trailer for the movie Wing Commander, the absurd film based on the computer game. My friend found a VHS copy of Wing Commander on sale later that year, and told me he knew it would be good when he saw it was cheaper to buy than to rent.

Oh, he was right.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I just watched this on netflix and immediately realized I'd seen it before. Years ago in college I had a roommate who was a huge film buff and was very proud of his dvd collection, I made a habit of watching something new from his stash once in a while and picked Ravenous out when I was home sick with the flu. It gave me the weirdest nightmares for the 2-3 days I was sick and made things much worse than they would have been lol

On rewatch I realized I'd seen it, but didn't remember much of the plot beyond canninalism in the old west so it was still newish to me. Good flick 12 years later and not sick, that score is really something :stare:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I had some more screenshots but I lost them, he pulls some amazing facial expressions in that scene.

Probably made easier by the similarities in their positions: having to eat something they find repulsive, for a cause they absolutely believe in, while (likely) suppressing a deeper urge to just give in and go after it.

Someone posted recently, apparently not in this thread, that it's a cool little detail that the final fight is carried out with a fork, a knife, a cleaver, and a bit of firewood - and failed to mention, somehow, that then it all ends in a big old mouth, of course.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 28, 2014

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I don't know if it was discussed in the horror movie thread, but the Blu-ray by Scream Factory was released a month ago, and it's pretty disappointing.

The transfer Fox provided to Scream Factory is better than the DVD, but only marginally. The picture is soft and dust and scratches abound. DVD and Blu-ray comparison screenshots are here.

That said, it's still the best the movie's ever looked and it's very doubtful Ravenous will ever get a better release. Worth the purchase if you're a fan.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

hypersleep posted:

I don't know if it was discussed in the horror movie thread, but the Blu-ray by Scream Factory was released a month ago, and it's pretty disappointing.

The transfer Fox provided to Scream Factory is better than the DVD, but only marginally. The picture is soft and dust and scratches abound. DVD and Blu-ray comparison screenshots are here.

That said, it's still the best the movie's ever looked and it's very doubtful Ravenous will ever get a better release. Worth the purchase if you're a fan.

gently caress me, that's a disappointment.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

Hell, as recently as the 1900's, pink was considered a bold, masculine color for boys, and blue was a cool, feminine color for young ladies. It's funny how many things we think are innate in culture are really just marketing calls.

Wasn't pink masculine because it was like a reminder of how your simple white robes back in ye olde days would be stained from blood of your enemies :black101: or something?

Also drat that bluray transfer is sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
The things I remember most about this movie are the awkward, deranged fight scene near the end, and Neal MacDonough's insane, straight-from-Warhammer-40K character.

Also - homoerotic cannibals. Really galvanized my "vampires are just glamorous cannibals" viewpoint. Thing got pretty Interview With A Vampire, a few times.

• Locked thread