Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
They sure ratcheted up the drama in this episode. To be fair to Hase though, Kiryu is basically a Standard Male Anime Protagonist. I'd be worried about him talking to Fujimiya too. This whole show is pretty much a typical school romcom told from the perspective of the comic relief best friend character. Which is kinda quietly genius, really.

Having the gloomy black clouds and fog roll in after Hase and Fujimiya's argument was a nice touch, if a tad heavy-handed. This show is way better than it has any right to be. There's something to be said for sheer craft and execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hase, you've got some big hands.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Hase, you've got some big hands.

You know what they say about big hands :smug:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So Dengeki or one of the other magazines posted leaks from the planning people on the manga, and they more or less dropped what ends up resolving Fujimiya's memory issues.

Spoilers within:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MJP posted:

*snip*

You know, even posting the un-spoilered bit spoils a pretty big question for the series. Might want to edit it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MJP posted:

So Dengeki or one of the other magazines posted leaks from the planning people on the manga, and they more or less dropped what ends up resolving Fujimiya's memory issues.

Spoilers within:

I really hope this story ends up being some super deep level viral marketing campaign.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah that kind of gave away the whole story arc. So thanks.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
...people are taking that seriously? That's pretty obviously them messing around.

Plus, it's not like she could watch video of her entire previous week; she'd never get around to the actual living.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Einander posted:

...people are taking that seriously? That's pretty obviously them messing around.

Plus, it's not like she could watch video of her entire previous week; she'd never get around to the actual living.

what if she edited it down so it was like a call of duty frag video. that would be cool

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If it's a bit I wouldn't know I don't click on spoilers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yes because they're going to resolve a character's anterograde amnesia with a pair of Google Glass(TM) for 10 easy payments of $49.95

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just follow the money. One of the sponsors is a shell company owned by one of Google's founder's uncle. It all makes sense.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Phobophilia posted:

Yes because they're going to resolve a character's anterograde amnesia with a pair of Google Glass(TM) for 10 easy payments of $49.95

Don't sit there and pretend that there haven't been dumber anime endings.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
In this week's episode, we meet Saki! I'll add her to the OP in a bit.

As for this week's diary entry:

After school today, I went around town with Saki-chan.

We had a lot of fun, and before I knew it we ran out of time and had to part ways. Saki-chan jokes a lot that she wants to become my little sister. I wonder if that's what it feels like to actually have a sister...I could completely be myself around her. I hope we can get along even better from now on.

Oh right, we ended up going to the crepe shop in front of the station. I have to apologize to Hase-kun for that; we were supposed to go together but I went without him. The crepes tasted great though, so I have to be sure to invite him along next time!

To me, on Monday:
-She's forgetful, but the small girl with the cute smile is your new friend Saki-chan.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I think I like Saki. She's so offbeat.

The last words of the episode felt like an :ohdear: hook to me again though. Because they were in the past tense. I'm weird.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
...so, uh. Did anyone else find Saki really creepy?

It's one thing to be friendly, but... She has no sense of boundaries. The initial part of the episode made me seriously uncomfortable, and the constant chorus of "look, she's so friendly!" didn't help. It got better, but... Bad memories. I would like her to please go away.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Einander posted:

It's one thing to be friendly, but... She has no sense of boundaries. The initial part of the episode made me seriously uncomfortable, and the constant chorus of "look, she's so friendly!" didn't help. It got better, but... Bad memories. I would like her to please go away.

Not really, I mean she doesn't have much sense of boundaries but I didn't get creeper vibes from her or anything, just ditzyness.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Einander posted:

I actually liked her because she was forward and honest about her feelings. I wish I could tell people how I feel.
Being a cute girl probably helps though. If Saki was a guy, characters and viewers would feel more uncomfortable about her/him straight up hugging Fujimiya out of nowhere.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Einander posted:

Not really creepy, but minorly unnerving until I finally deduced that she is a boring mashup of both main characters with their best traits removed.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Einander posted:

I found her to be really, really off-putting, too. She got a bit better over the course of the episode, but that all went away when she Revealed Kaori's condition in class. I might be remembering wrong, but that happened, didn't it?

It all turned out well, yeah, but that's not a thing you do without prior permission.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
This week's diary entry:

Today, Hase-kun, Saki-chan, and Kiryuu-kun all came over to my house. My mom was surprised I had called them over all of a sudden, and got all flustered saying she should make a cake for them.

Today I discovered several things: Saki-chan really likes melon bread, and Kiryuu-kun is a fan of shoujo manga. I didn't expect that at all--but if he likes shoujo manga he might not be all that scary...

Thanks to Saki-chan, it's gotten a bit easier for me to talk to Kiryuu-kun. Thanks.

I was so happy to have friends over! This, too, is all thanks to Hase-kun. It's because of him that I was able to make friends with Saki-chan and Kiryuu-kun, and I can't thank him enough for that.

There is one thing I'm worried about : Hase-kun doesn't remember the math he was taught in freshman year. I wonder if he'll be okay for tomorrow's test...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This week's episode featured a 100% increase in the number of weiner dogs, so I call it a major improvement.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Haven't seen this week's episode yet but I wanted to chime in to say that last week's episode with Saki wasn't bad. I didn't find her character creepy just really pushy and forward. Her voice is a bit deadpan which I think might have made people feel like she was bringing the creep. Kiryuu's note to Hase about Saki's past does clear up why she's so direct with Saki. Having been left alone and having no friends in the past she doesn't want Fujimiya to be in the same boat as she was. The added knowledge of Fujimiya's weekly mind lapse further cements Saki's need to be friends with her. Overall I think it was a nice new friend episode. Looking foward to this weeks one.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Regarding Saki, I also don't find her creepy. I actually think the writers and animators did a pretty good job with her. I find her rather sweet overall. I am finding Hase to be the most annoying character so far. Granted he's the reason for the show, but I wish he'd stop being such a loving wimp about almost everything.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ahaha, Shougo is the best wingman. :allears:

It was really nice to see Kaori's mom so happy about her daughter having friends again, running around in a panic about making cakes and things. :unsmith:

It was also nice to see how this whole thing started, even if we still don't know what is going on with Kaori's memory.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Come on, just kiss already.

That said, she didn't forget? Perhaps it being a school week also has to do with triggering the amnesia. Let's see once summer vacation passes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god, they're both so loving dense, ugh. :suicide:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

nielsm posted:

Come on, just kiss already.

They held. Hands. In anime that's practically a proposal.

On a side note was anyone else a little weirded out by that slow closeup on Fujimiya? What, is it supposed to emphasize the awkward, or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Annointed posted:

They held. Hands. In anime that's practically a proposal.

On a side note was anyone else a little weirded out by that slow closeup on Fujimiya? What, is it supposed to emphasize the awkward, or something?

It was a bit of odd framing but I think it was just supposed to be her freaking over Hase saying she was cute, the whole 'Ah' thing was her having no clue what to say to him. Er, assuming that's the same part you mean.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a bit of odd framing but I think it was just supposed to be her freaking over Hase saying she was cute, the whole 'Ah' thing was her having no clue what to say to him. Er, assuming that's the same part you mean.

Sorry, that was a bit vague of me. I meant the part after Saki asked Hase to pin up a poster and the rest of the gals came over. The shot had Fujimiya in a wide angle, small and smack dab in the middle. I just found it weird how it slowly zoomed in on her face as she stared at Hase and co., like something in her snapped. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that's the part I meant too, it's pretty ambiguous but I think she's just dumbfounded at the previous conversation and staring at Hase being Hase.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Annointed posted:

Sorry, that was a bit vague of me. I meant the part after Saki asked Hase to pin up a poster and the rest of the gals came over. The shot had Fujimiya in a wide angle, small and smack dab in the middle. I just found it weird how it slowly zoomed in on her face as she stared at Hase and co., like something in her snapped. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. :v:

I just took that as Fujimiya admiring Hase more than usual. She just got called cute for the first time by a boy and then the boy goes and kinda shows off by helping out another girl. It didn't seem weird at the time but I see what you mean now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Man, Hase is so unbelievably smooth. :laugh:

But yeah just like those girls said the two of them are just so ~:downs:~Pure~:downs:~. Fujimiya has a good excuse but Hase just needs to ask her on a loving date.

BTW make sure to watch past the credits, there is another scene.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Sorry for the delay on the diary translation this week; I graduated college today so I only just got to watch the episode :toot:

Today I went to buy a present on the way home from school.

Tomorrow, July 14, is Hase-kun's birthday, according to Kiryuu-kun. Despite how blunt he usually is, I think he's a good guy to take care to remember his friends' birthdays.

I took way too long trying to decide on a present. I wondered what his favorite color was, what he'd most want right now...And as I kept thinking, rereading this diary, before I knew it the shop was closing. I was lost on what to get him--but I'm truly blessed to be able to think about a friend like that.

In the end I just bought some pastry ingredients and made some sugary cookies for him. It's not much, but I hope he'll like them.

Oh my god this show is so cute.

MMania
May 7, 2008
It's tough to be hard on this show when they're pretty up front about Hase's indecisiveness.

And thanks for the diary translations, we barely get to see what's in it and it's super important to the plot what she deems worthy to write to her one-week-later self.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, Hase is so unbelievably smooth. :laugh:

But yeah just like those girls said the two of them are just so ~:downs:~Pure~:downs:~. Fujimiya has a good excuse but Hase just needs to ask her on a loving date.

BTW make sure to watch past the credits, there is another scene.

This show really is absurdly cute. The character development for each person is great. Hase and Fujimiya really are pure in their responses to each other. Though Hase really should just ask her out already. Based on this episode and the preview we might just get a couple of episodes of them going on "dates" without realizing it. :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

This show really is absurdly cute. The character development for each person is great. Hase and Fujimiya really are pure in their responses to each other. Though Hase really should just ask her out already. Based on this episode and the preview we might just get a couple of episodes of them going on "dates" without realizing it. :3:

Remember, they're both pure. They're so pure it's adorable bordering on incomprehensible. However, it does remind me of stories of students in China and East Asia where the students are way out of date compared to Western norms regarding romantic relationships.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fujimiya at least kind of has an excuse in that she's been deliberately avoiding interpersonal contact for the last several years. Hase is just dense.

Still, this show has never been going for the most plausible thing, and it still manages to feel pretty genuine anyway.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hase doesn't seem to quite realise the extent of his feelings for Fujimiya just yet, despite having the best wingman this side of Hoth.
It's a heartwarming show and the drama so far hasn't been forced and unrealistic, excluding the weird memory loss business of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Diary entry time:

Today, I went to the beach with Hase-kun and all my other friends.

We didn't get to actually go swimming, but it was a lot of fun! After the rain let up, we lit a bunch of pretty fireworks. And I went to an arcade for the first time.

Kiryuu-kun won adorable animal plushies for Saki-chan and me in a crane game. He said he was just lucky, but he grabbed two prizes in a single play, I can't believe it! Saki-chan was happy about it, too.

Hase-kun never managed to win, and he was clearly mad about that. I'm just happy that kept trying so hard. When I thanked him for it, he just said "When we come back next year, that thing is mine!"

He's truly a wonderful person.

It's been a while since I read this part in the manga, but I don't remember it being quite so melodramatic on the whole front of Hase and Fujimiya confronting their feelings for each other. Probably helps that it's a 4koma, since it's hard to make those seem dramatic.

I'm curious what all your thoughts are on the post-credits scene and the title of the next episode.

• Locked thread