Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outer Science posted:

I'm curious what all your thoughts are on the post-credits scene and the title of the next episode.

Things are progressing too well, can't have that, here comes a spanner in the works.

Not sure who the guy is though, did one of them mention having a brother? I can't remember.

Or he's something to do with how she got her condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Things are progressing too well, can't have that, here comes a spanner in the works.

Not sure who the guy is though, did one of them mention having a brother? I can't remember.

Or he's something to do with how she got her condition.

Yeah, I'm thinking he's one of her old friends from before the accident. And the next episode is called "Last Day With Friends"? Yeah, I'm a bit worried. :ohdear:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This show is infuriatingly adorable.

They're like the world's most oblivious couple, going for long walks on the beach at sunset, packing medicine for all the bug bites he gets while you sit together on a park bench all day, writing detailed notes about how the other eats sausages legs first, and yet too dense to see what that actually looks like from the outside. He's super clingy and yet too pure to advance beyond that, and she's just as hooked but too goddamned pure to know what that means. It's maddening, you have the beach, the stars, the fireworks, a friend literally asking you "HEY DON'T YOU THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD STEP IT UP" and you do nothing! :bang:

The end bit: Things were going too well. We've clearly got a transfer student scenario on our hands, so he's probably got something to do with her memory loss and might make it worse? I don't see how else this show can conjure up a conflict of any sorts.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Remember that her memory loss started after something happened with her best friend Sunday night. It was probably this guy.

On the bright side this'll no doubt reveal what happened and let her fix it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like we'll probably be caught up with the scanlation in another episode or two.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sindai posted:

Remember that her memory loss started after something happened with her best friend Sunday night. It was probably this guy.

On the bright side this'll no doubt reveal what happened and let her fix it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking too.

I think the episode title references the day of the accident that led to her condition, not her current friends. I bet the fact that this new guy moved in the first place will play a major part in why she left distraught and ultimately got hurt back then.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The guy does seem a lot like Kiryuu, so that explains why she was cautious around him at first.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That was a beach episode without any swimsuits. That's quite a feat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe setting up Shogo and Saki as a couple was pretty cute, the ending was :suicide: again.

I swear if this ends up being a love triangle thing, I'm dropping it like a hot brick and swearing off romance anime/manga forever.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Hahahaha today's diary entry is incredible.

Today was the last day of summer vacation. Hase-kun, Kiryu-kun, and Saki-chan all came over to do our summer homework together, it was really fun! I learned a couple new things too: Saki-chan and Kiryu-kun were friends in elementary school, and Kiryu-kun finished all his homework on the first day of break.

Hase-kun really puts a lot of effort into his struggles, trying to finish all of our work in one day. It's not really something you can finish that quickly though, so...oh, there's just so much I want to write in here and I can't fit it all!

Hase-kun said that he would have liked to do something more fitting for summer than homework, but I'll treasure the experience just for the fact that it was with my friends. I've written so much in this diary today that my fingers are beginning to hurt, so I'll just say that every day has been amazingly fulfilling.

As long as I'm with Hase-kun, I'm sure that there will be even more fun things to do waiting in store for me. I'm really looking forward to what the next semester holds!

Thank you, Hase-kun. Please keep being my friend from now on.

Now this is the episode that makes me wonder how the transition from manga to anime is going to work from here on. I mentioned before that the original manga is a 4koma, and it generally doesn't have a lot of drama associated with what are otherwise dramatic situations. There are occasional bits, usually at the end of each volume, but other than that, things tend to stay pretty lighthearted, especially due to the art style. But mood whiplash like that probably doesn't translate well to the anime, so I'm curious what kind of tone they're gonna go for.

You can read the latest translated manga chapter (17) to see what I mean. This episode covered up to the end of chapter 14 (also the end of volume 3), and the intervening chapters don't have any particularly plot-relevant spoilers going on.

I think I figured out where the show's going to end, too.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As soon as the show changed to a gray filter, I knew suffering was abound. To be honest it's kind of interesting how the director has an eye for cinematic language.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay that new dude, is he plain dumb? Or did nobody tell him that Kaori was in a loving traffic accident on that day? He's obviously the one she had a date with back when, as told previously by her mom. It ends up feeling too forced to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Betting on it being on the last day before he moved away so he never knew anything about it, other than she didn't show up for whatever. Sounds suitably contrived enough.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
As others have said, when nothing really happened in the first half of the episode, I knew something game changing was going to happen, but I didn't expect a full memory wipe. Pretty dark for a lighthearted show... even if the lighthearted show is about an emotionally traumatized girl with mental issues.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, Kujo's a jerk. At least Hase manned up and told him off. Admittingly I'd thought that he'd be more mad, considering Kujo singlehandedly just wiped several months worth of Fujimiya's memories.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Diary translation is gonna be late this week. I'm on vacation at the moment and won't be home to watch the episode for a couple days.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
So on the plus side, Kiryuu and Saki are kind of adorable. On the other end of things, I feel like I can see the end of the Kujo nonsense, and the rest of the cast can't. So it's just kind of aggravating to watch them languish about in their wishy washy drama stuff. Kujo's not really a jerk in so far as he isn't even really aware that there's a problem, because her problem sounds like magical bullshit. Once he believes it, he'll obviously want to help out however he can.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shere posted:

So on the plus side, Kiryuu and Saki are kind of adorable. On the other end of things, I feel like I can see the end of the Kujo nonsense, and the rest of the cast can't. So it's just kind of aggravating to watch them languish about in their wishy washy drama stuff. Kujo's not really a jerk in so far as he isn't even really aware that there's a problem, because her problem sounds like magical bullshit. Once he believes it, he'll obviously want to help out however he can.

I really hope they can sit him with with Fujimiya-mom and at least talk things over. He was obviously surprised when the two other girls from grade school mentioned her accident, but somehow never dug further into it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder if we'll actually get a proper ending or if the anime will conclude with this arc and the manga will continue past it. We're a little bit past the scanlation now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shere posted:

Ehhh, Kujo got told by Hase, and his first reaction isn't "Oh wow, if that's true I've been a real jerk." it's to attack Kaori and Hase's relationship. He's a huge jerk until proven otherwise, gently caress him. :mad:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, Kujo got told by Hase, and his first reaction isn't "Oh wow, if that's true I've been a real jerk." it's to attack Kaori and Hase's relationship. He's a huge jerk until proven otherwise, gently caress him. :mad:

It would be out of character but I was still hoping for some Shinji-esque feeble punch aimed in his direction.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Saki wins the award for dopey anime 'confession' of the year. I couldn't help but crack up in the midst of that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Saki wins the award for dopey anime 'confession' of the year. I couldn't help but crack up in the midst of that.

She accurately fits the definition of adorkable

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I could mistake her confession with lyrics from a The Lonely Island song.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Finally caught up on this show.

OK, usually I despise the whole 'sexually oblivious = ~pure~' thing but this show is too cute not to love.
I adore all of the characters, even if Hase is kind of a wimp.

I think it would be cool if his inaction was due to genuine concern rather than cowardice. Maybe he realises that a romantic relationship is too big a leap for a girl with memory problems. Maybe he realises that he'll always have the upper hand in their interactions and he's afraid that he'll abuse the power he has over her. Maybe I've just watched Memento too many times.

Earlier in the show I thought 'if would be so lame if it paired Kiryuu and Saki.' Half an hour later, I'm shipping Kiryuu and Saki. How does this happen?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

uuuummm posted:

Finally caught up on this show.

OK, usually I despise the whole 'sexually oblivious = ~pure~' thing but this show is too cute not to love.
I adore all of the characters, even if Hase is kind of a wimp.

I think it would be cool if his inaction was due to genuine concern rather than cowardice. Maybe he realises that a romantic relationship is too big a leap for a girl with memory problems. Maybe he realises that he'll always have the upper hand in their interactions and he's afraid that he'll abuse the power he has over her. Maybe I've just watched Memento too many times.

Earlier in the show I thought 'if would be so lame if it paired Kiryuu and Saki.' Half an hour later, I'm shipping Kiryuu and Saki. How does this happen?

His inaction is because he's a teenager and he's never been in love before, so he just plain doesn't realise the truth behind his feelings for Kaori. Saki's adorkable confession was really well done in a funny way. I didn't really like her much as a character before because she came across as incredibly :downs: but that scene in the last episode completely changed my opinion of her.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Okay, I'm back and watched the episode, so first, the diary entry:

The boy I wrote about in this diary, Hase-kun, came to talk to me today. I wonder if I really made all those lunches and ate with him...My diary says so, but...

I understand now what I meant by all those times I kept saying he was a good person, but, Hase-kun...

Well for now, I'll just see to it that I keep writing in this diary every day.

So this is how the show is going to deal with the tone clashing I mentioned before. If you read the manga chapter or two following Kujou's appearance, you can see that there are a few changes and omissions--in particular, one funny scene where Saki tries to figure out what happened between Fujimiya and Hase was completely cut in order to maintain the melancholic tone. That's a little disappointing, one of the things I really like about the manga is just how well it can swap between lighthearted humor and heavy drama while still feeling genuine, but I'll take what we've got here happily enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hase loving idiot status confirmed.

Sure, screwing up your friendship is a great way of not hurting her.

VVVV I think it was more 'if we carry on getting closer I might do *something* to make things worse' rather than those particular events occurring again, doesn't make him any less stupid though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 15, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Disappointed in Kiryuu for not slapping the stupid out of Hase right then and there. "So let me get this straight, you're worried that a bunch of girls who also like you (these don't exist) are going to bully her and then she'll run into traffic and get hit by a car again? Am I hearing this right?"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To be fair it's more like everyone hosed up. Hase needs to man the hell up. Relationships always has risks, not taking or dealing with them just keeps everyone at arms length. Kiryuu too for not beig able to deal with his feelings for Saki and Saki not being able to talk to Kiryuu. All the while Kaori's stuck having all this on her lap and no idea how to deal with it.

With one more episode left, I'm a little apprehensive that this show can sort this jazz out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably not going to, at far as I'm aware the manga is ongoing so the best we can expect is that it returns to the 'everyone being friends' status quo.

I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong though.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
This week's diary was a little bit harder to translate, and there might be some mistakes:

Today I remembered exactly what happened when I lost all my memories, but nothing else. That alone is enough for me to understand why it happened: it's still so sad, it still hurts so much. I'm scared, all I can do is stay withdrawn like this. I just want to run away, to disappear somewhere. Those feelings have never truly left me.

But now things are different. I have friends to support me. Hase-kun, Saki-chan, Ai-chan, Maiko-chan, Kiryu-kun, and even Kujo-kun. With their help, maybe...

I have to diligently write down everything that happened today. The things that hurt me, surprised me, the things I talked to Saki-chan about, what happened at the restaurant.

And on Monday I must tell Hase-kun, "It's alright. You don't have to worry."

Others have harped on Hase already, so I'll just add one thing I noticed myself. I think one of the reasons this show feels so genuine despite its melodrama is the relationship between Hase and Kiryu. That bit at the beginning of the episode, where Hase buys Kiryu a drink, regrets it, and Kiryu motions to pour the drink on him resonates so perfectly with actual friendship that it startled me. That is exactly the kind of thing close friends do, and almost no attention was drawn to it.

Little touches like that litter the show, and really make it clear that these two are friends, far more than the usual harem protagonist and his wacky sidekick who stick together for some reason.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It looks like we might be getting an original ending to this, as the 18th chapter of the manga just went up on Batoto and instead of the crepe incident, completely different things happened.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy with that ending.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Hase, you're not supposed to eat the paper that comes wrapped around the crepe

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Kiryu status: still the coolest cucumber.

Sweet ending for a sweet show.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This final arc has been kinda dumb and I'm all for the manga continuing to diverge from it. I'm cool with the Saki/Kiryuu things happening the same way though.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Time for the final diary entry :unsmith:

Today, I finally told Hase-kun what I'd wanted to for a very long time. It was so embarrassing with all of our classmates watching, my heart was pounding, but I committed myself to saying it. Hase-kun approached me first, so I was finally able to encourage him back.

Hase-kun is truly amazing. Every single week, he keeps saying it: "I'd like for us to be friends." I'm sure that back at the start I looked so unapproachable...I'm sorry. He's very brave. Just like his name--Yuuki--though they're written with different kanji.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and it's thanks to Hase-kun that I can think that way.

Thank you, Hase-kun. Until I see you tomorrow, good night.

That was a reasonable ending. The beginning of the episode highlights one of the problems that had been kind of glossed over the entire show: we always see their friendship as Fujimiya being Hase's friend (the possessive there being important), and not necessarily the other way around. Hase concerns himself with Fujimiya's feelings, and largely absolves her of any responsibility for his, making their relationship very one-sided.

Which is one of the reasons this last episode was powerful. It's a common pattern, yeah, but Fujimiya breaking Hase out of his slump, and them now asking each other to be friends as opposed to Hase doing it himself is a strong symbol that their relationship has progressed into something much more equal. It's definitely an evolution, fitting for a last episode. Since the anime is supposed to promote the manga sales, there was no chance of a romance ending, but the whole thing would have felt flat if there was no climactic progress at the end. The ending we got did a good job of avoiding both of those problems.

So from here on we can expect the manga to continue going on. I've read up through volume 5 but I can't get access to the magazine it's published in, so I haven't been able to get any further. Volume 6 comes out a month from today, though.

For those interested: there are a few interesting divergences from the manga early on (I mentioned that the crepe store was not closed the first time they went), and much of this last bit after Kujo's arrival, while including manga elements, was overall quite different.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Hase's shout as he realised how stupid he'd been was extremely satisfying. He is redeemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a satisfying finale to one of the most enjoyable shows of this season. I was glad that Hase saw that staying away out of fear that he would hurt Kaori in the future was both selfish and was hurting her right then and there. I was even more happy to see Kaori reaching out to Hase, with that their relationship will be stronger than ever before.

I also really liked the song and montage at the end. :unsmith:

• Locked thread