Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

So now we've kind of got this thing going where every time I need an NPC to get dumped on, I use Kaiya. I needed one of the NTech NPCs to be forced to work for the Yith, and Kaiya seemed like a good fit - I was actually planning on having the players be forced to kill her, but so far they have evaded that in favour of befriending the poo poo out of her. I'll get her yet, guys.

In fairness, we did beat the crap out of (one of?) her and stole some of her blood.

On topic: my favorite NPCs as a player have always been the eminently hateable archivillains. Not the sort that eat puppies for breakfast and grog.txt behavior, but the ones who are always one step ahead.

It's been my experience that the best way to get this result is to play entirely fair, preferably with the same exact techniques the player characters are using, and totally transparent about rolls. Ideally your players are saying something like "if it weren't for that one dice roll" whenever the NPC's name is brought up.

The problem is that playing entirely fair and transparent and still winning is hard. Is there a secret to this kind of success, or are my GMs just really good at cheating just enough to create fair-but-diabolical boss encounters or evil plans or what have you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread