Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

One of the reasons I don't play D&D much anymore is that more than once I've used this system mastery approach and it felt like cheating, because so many of them are frankly broken "push button to win" options that suck the fun out of a session. In fact, I've found the much more bald, narrative approach of "this guy gets to escape because he has plot immunity, but I will shower you in game tokens to make up for it" actually frustrates players less than having a legitimate, "see it's on his character sheet" escape clause from older style RPGs.

I agree with this, but I think it's important to allow the anticlimatic solution occur occasionally. It can still be fun and memorable if the players roll their Rube Goldberg combo in from offstage and completely crush their opponent in one fell swoop. Letting every big fight drag on dramatically can get repetitive and predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread