Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Thin NPCs are perfectly fine in the right setting

Some games, especially 1 shots, don't have a ton of time to develop characters.

Use NPCs as obstacles. Put them in a blender and let the players hit "Mix". In a game about relationships, interactions between cliches are much more easy to latch on to than complex backstories and machinations.

Why is the Dork a Drugdealer? Whay are the Slut and the Closeted Gay Guy, or the Innkeeper and the Out of Town Vigilante drinking together? Why are the mayor and Professor Exposition never seen in the same place?

Your characters will speculate why. If their ideas are good, use their ideas. If they ain't, say "hmmm, maybe", scribble notes, and then use them when you need a mysterious person to set off the explosives, betray the town to goblins, or cast the tie-breaking vote in the student election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ettin posted:

These are both terrible NPC archetypes.

That's the genre of Monsterhearts though. Reputations are extremely narrow and archetypes are broadly drawn, just like the source fiction. It's only when the PCs get involved that people gain depth (and usually in response to the NPCS).

Most games don't have the GM represent an entire ecosystem of selfish scared people who feel differently about every PC, and in those you should obviously use less Arch archetypes.

They're also easier to subvert. Closeted gay guy is actually hiding a monster-hunting pact; "Slutty" girl is vampire queen and has to be alone with plenty of people, etc.

• Locked thread