Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
One specific thing I've learned the hard way is to never, ever give your NPCs multiple personalities/dissociative identities. The Jekyll/Hyde thing may work in other forms of fiction, but in RPGs, where you're doing all the voices anyways and players often don't have totally clear images of the characters, it just ... doesn't work.

Here's a couple blog posts on NPC making! I have found them useful.

http://www.thickets.net/toren/2013/02/24/torens-dull-obvious-tips-on-naming-characters-for-roleplaying-games-fantasy-or-otherwise/

quote:

As a GM and a player, it’s important for me to choose names that are (1) memorable, (2) easy to say, and (3) add to the enjoyment of the game. Having the name evoke a feeling or idea that supports what the character is or does is an added bonus.

I've used some of these tips in the full post - for instance, the players in my Pirates! game absolutely love recruiting NPCs while in port, which often leaves me scrambling for names. I got the Storygames list of names, but it's really more fun to have a theme - even if the players don't catch on to it, the theme makes it easier for me to remember. So one ship is full of people named after slightly modified spices and seasonings - Sal, Pep, Kumi (cumin), and so on.

So far we've mostly talked about planning out NPCs in advance, but what about when you players decide they need to know what the barkeep is really up to?

Here's an article on improv-ing NPCs:

http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/improvising-npcs-x-but-y/

quote:

X is the general gist of the character in one aspect, Y is the twist or part that stands out from it. It applies across a few categories.

In real life, our brains tend to use shortcuts to identify people. You might have someone drastically change their hairstyle, or their usual types of clothing, and suddenly you don’t recognize them.

X is the general description of the character, Y is the part that stands out from even that. It can be a physical feature or something about how they move or stand.

“She’s broadly built, muscled like a laborer, but you see her sword moves graceful and light.”

Just thinking about how the NPC might not match their appearance/game class/social status gets you to do a quick second pass, and can add some interesting details.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread