Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Mirthless posted:

I think the #1 reason there isn't a push to unionize among hourly IT positions is because most of them can be shipped to India, Costa Rica or Romania tomorrow, and the only thing it's going to upset in the grand scheme of things is the sensibility of the jingoist racists who work for you or your client. Automation, simplification of computer systems and "the cloud" have made helpdesk and to a lesser extent deskside support into a job where you teach people how to navigate menus. Everybody wants better pay but hourly IT jobs probably won't exist at all inside of ten years and those of us who haven't had the chance to jump to salary yet aren't in any rush to speed up the process.

Our #1 most common customer comment on surveys is "thank god somebody speaks english". When that's the only advantage we have over people who work for half (or less!) of what we do, how much longer can that gravy train possibly last?

Isn't the point of unions unskilled laborers who can easily be replaced organizing for job security and that kinda poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Peven Stan posted:

You guys are idiots and white collar workers are unionized in a buttload of western european nations. A professor pal of mine is a social scientist in germany and her contract is a union one. However, that is a situation where a corporatist model is basically forced on employers and employees to make them play nice together by the state.

I don't understand why their arn't more unions like that in america.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

wateroverfire posted:

Probably not. The resentment (some justified, mostly not) and angst that employers would have to deal with would not in any way be worth it. Not to mention employees do not all have the same incentives on this issue and many would probably prefer their pay not be made public.

But if it happened, I think the response would be that thing I described.

The reason you change jobs in the first place is more money, why would knowing how much you get paid change that?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

wateroverfire posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

The reason people change jobs is that a company is willing to pay them more than their previous job. The worker wouldn't leave if the price the company was willing to pay for their labor wasn't more than what the worker is already getting.

• Locked thread