Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not a separate issue at all, because the employee has to prove that the pay difference is because they're women and not for other reasons such as differences in skill, effort, responsibility, merit, output quality or quantity, or any other factor besides gender. Technically it's the employer's responsibility to prove this, but it's easier for them to make a case for it than it is for the employee to debunk that case - especially if the subject of debate is widened to all women's salaries at the company rather than just one. And since the Supreme Court has smacked down class action pay discrimination cases, each and every female employee has to sue separately for their particular case of pay discrimination.

I'm not saying it won't work sometimes, but going to the trouble of making all this wage data accessible and then relying on individual employees to sue to fix it seems like a non-optimal way to fix the problem, focused more on changing as little as possible and hoping the market will sort it out than on efficiently and effectively solving the problem.

Making the data available in and of itself makes the situation easier to fix. It may not fix it by itself, but it's a significant improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't believe it's a bad thing...but I don't believe it's a solution either. The thing about appealing to market efficiency is that the free market is well-known to be absolute garbage at dealing with discrimination, and I'm not really sure I even necessarily agree that labor should strive to be an efficient free market in the first place (ideological reasons, mostly). Frankly, I'm more than a little bit stunned that the prevailing opinion seems to be "if we just make the markets free and efficient and unregulated enough, the invisible hand will solve discrimination for us" or "if it were just a little easier to sue, the threat of legal action would cause the invisible hand to end discrimination". I believe that far more drastic action is needed to genuinely combat pay discrimination. Public pay data would help some people, but at best it'd just narrow the pay gap, not erase it. I'm not against public pay data itself, I'm against treating it like a comprehensive solution when it's really just a weak half-measure.

It's not about appealing to market efficiency, it's about making people aware that it's a problem in the first place. Once people understand how they're directly being harmed, then you can more successfully advocate for regulatory solutions, the same solutions you seem to agree with.

Any sort of "market efficiency" solutions that might happen because of this (lawsuits, etc) just make knowledge of the problem more widespread.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Didn't we used to have public work houses? What happened to that?

Are you loving kidding me?

shrike82 posted:

Pay disclosure is ultimately an uninteresting solution because it's not a solution in of itself and because it has no natural constituency.

mugrim posted:

I don't believe anyone said it was a comprehensive solution. It's information gathering that can then allow civil suits to be presented in far greater numbers. It's impossible to fix a problem if you don't know about it, and it's pretty hard to fix being undercut if you don't even know it's happening. This would be a dream for labor lawyers, especially considering how drastically different pay for the same job can be in a workplace that enforces those policies.

Come on shrike, this post was just a few below yours, why didn't you read it and take it into consideration?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh... I didn't mean work-house. I meant public works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7TN_CKp9U

You mean like the WPA and AmeriCorps? Yeah, those would be a huge help if they were well funded and weren't treated like welfare programs by assholes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So is it fair to call the firing of Jill Abramson an issue where transparency in pay would have significantly helped things, or is it too soon to tell?

Vox has a rundown of articles if you are new to the situation. Here's more from Poynter.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 16, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wateroverfire posted:

Seems sort of unlikely. The whole situation seems like a mess.

Why do you say unlikely? Most of what I've been reading about the topic points to the assertion that over the past decade Abramson was paid less than her male coworkers in similar positions while still performing well, while also pointing out that she had very recently discussed this issue with the board. I'm sure there are details that are wrong or incomplete (since we'll never know for sure), but it seems to me that the NY Times was taking advantage of institutional opaqueness to pay her less money than her male peers, and got kicked out for daring to confront her employer about it.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Pay transparency had nothing to do with it. She already knew about the pay disparity (with enough detail that she wasn't fooled even when they gave her a token raise that didn't actually close the gap), apparently confronted senior management about it on several different occasions, and even got a lawyer involved. The problem was that, even with the exact size of the pay disparity known to her and an obvious lawsuit brewing on the horizon, the NYT still decided they'd rather shitcan her than actually close the pay gap.

I was under the impression that the lawyer issue/challenge to the board was quite recent, did I overlook something or get my timeline confused? My current understanding of the issue is that she found out, she lawyered up/talked to the board then she was out the door.

• Locked thread