Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Aren't there already laws on the books guaranteeing the ability to discuss wages? Obviously they're unenforced, but it would probably take as much political effort to get new laws passed as it would to greatly step up enforcement and policing of current labor law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it's likely that total compensation or total labor costs would go down in that case, I'd be interested to hear why you think they would. It would probably lead to flattening of wage disparities within companies but that would involve salaries below the mean being raised. Labor as a whole would have more bargaining power than before.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't understand why their arn't more unions like that in america.

Well public sector workers are mostly unionized, although they've been under constant attack for decades, have less presence than in other countries, and have less presence in red states. Private sector manufacturing was fairly heavily unionized but those companies started 'offshoring' early on to the South which had/has poo poo labor laws in order to break unions, and then started offshoring for real later on to do the same. White collar office workers were generally treated well by corporations during the heyday of unions but were generally not actually unionized, and corporations hosed them over without much resistance when it became viable to do so. Service industry jobs have never had unions and have basically always been poo poo jobs for poo poo wages. So basically the only decent jobs left are professionals and semi-professionals, doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cafel posted:

Well based on the fact that the National Federation of Federal Employees, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO, has 100,000 members throughout the federal government, I'm going to say that's because it's not true.

I think icantfindaname might be misremembering the law about federal workers being unable to strike, which doesn't preclude them from forming a union, but certainly does limit their collective bargaining rights.

Whoops, you're right, I remembered they couldn't strike.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Most state governments and state universities already make salaries public. As far as I know, this really hasn't helped anyone's bargaining power.

HR can just write vague job descriptions and create a ton of arbitrary ranks that they award at will (e.g. Analyst I to Analyst XII).

State jobs generally have much better benefits and job security than equivalent private sector jobs. Exactly how much of that is due to open wages isn't clear without data but it's not unreasonable to think it's at least part.

In general I don't see much effective difference between vigorously enforcing current labor law stipulating you can't be fired for discussing wages and making wages public, besides of course ease of enforcement. Seems to me if you're opposed to one you'd necessarily be opposed to both.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 17, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Branman posted:

While we're saying that networking at your university is inherently unjust and is nepotism, can we also shout down poor black people networking through their churches as nepotism and unjust?

Finding jobs through networking isn't a bad thing. It's a thing with plusses and minuses. To act as if the only valid way of finding employment is to send an anomyous resume to a job board is incredibly shortsighted and ignores reality. The problems that you are bringing up are symptoms of much larger problems in the economy or society and would be better addressed elsewhere.

By all means, go ahead and denounce actual nepotism. However, trying to classify a random mid-career professional finding a better job at another company through his or her lifetime of contacts in an industry as nepotism is laughible.

That's literally the definition of nepotism. Not a very severe case but still nepotism. If you're OK with that fine, I'm not going to pretend that that's something we can, or even want to, completely get rid of, but call it what it is. Finding jobs through networking is actually a bad thing if you consider an anonymous meritocracy to be a good thing. I guess acknowledging that middle/upper middle class white society runs on connections more than merit is some sort of existential threat to you, to the point where you felt compelled to burst in here and complain about people attacking that system (they weren't even really doing that though?) Black people doing that would also technically be a bad thing, although obviously black people aren't exactly living large off nepotism, which I thought need not be mentioned but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Branman posted:

The value of your network has nothing to do with the issue of whether or not getting a job through networking is "fair" or is "nepotism." There will always be someone that has a less valuable network than you.

If the Yale or Harvard grad getting a job through a network over a person from State-U is a bad thing, wouldn't a member of a black church getting a job through his or her church-based network over a non-churchgoer also be a bad thing?

ahahahahahaha holy poo poo, you sure are mad about those loving black people doing the exact same thing you're defending huh?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 19, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Branman posted:

Nope. I'm saying that they should be doing it. That's how you find a job. I'm trying to call out that this happens on all levels of society and cannot be ignored. Seriously, poor black people utilizing social captial through their churches is a good thing. So my belief is the opposite of what you think my belief is.

My belief is that we should acknowledge that all levels of society run on connections which are more important than merit. Saying that this is a bad thing is (EDIT) ignoring reality.

Also, that isn't nepotism. Nepotism is defined as staying within a family.

I think most people ITT and most people in general are of the opinion that the ideal society is a meritocracy. Obviously there are very big problems with achieving that and defining 'objective merit' but to come out and literally say "we shouldn't be a meritocracy, success should be determined by who you know, not what you know" seems like a very strange position to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I'd like to hear more about what exactly it'll solve and how.

We're 6 pages into the thread and no one seems to be able to explain whether the proposed disclosure mechanism is open to the general public with a key-name look up or whether it's only for looking up pay for employees within the same company etc.

It's almost as if the thread has multiple people with separate opinions and proposals and isn't a singularity hivemind

• Locked thread