Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

shrike82 posted:

If salary disclosures help with compensation negotiations, why haven't we seen any meaningful uptick in comp with sites like glassdoor or payscale?

I've never heard of these sites, and frankly they don't inspire a lot of confidence. Payscale looks like it's fishing for demographic information, and glassdoor doesn't seem to work at all. So, I don't think these sites actually do anything towards salary disclosures at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
While that might be true, financial and IT workers are a real small portion of the actual workforce. So expecting "a meaningful uptick in comp" via some salary disclosure mechanism because <5% of the workforce has a (probably not truthful) window into others' compensation, is uh, not realistic.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Sorry, I'm not being clear. I'm saying that glass door isn't read by the workforce at large, and so it can't possibly lead to changes in compensation, if we assume that salary disclosure even would.

Also, I just made a fake salary submission. Someone's going to be pissed when they find out that I'm getting paid 5x times the average pay at their firm. Anonymity works both ways.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not really suggesting anything, just killing time before I take off from here. I'll only say that anonymous, self-reporting is pretty weak tea compared to industry-wide contract negotiations.

• Locked thread