Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only reason my pay sucks is because my co-workers are terrible with money and if they didn't have so much debt and a stronger safety net (personal or social) they'd be more likely to ask for raises. Every place I've ever worked the employees openly talk about wages (some don't but many do) and the only thing that's stopping them is the fear of being fired or replaced.

I noticed when I first started my job that the most well paid person was the guy with the strongest safety net. He has a trust fund, considerable savings, a wife with a well paid job/healthcare benefits and made sure everyone there knew he didn't have to be there if he didn't want to be.

I don't have a trust fund but after four years I put myself into a similar position by buying a small home, saving as much money as possible and keeping my expenses as low as possible. Compared to my co-workers I have received much better compensation despite doing the same (sometimes less) work. I used some of the same tricks as my previous co-worker and whenever "personal finance" comes up as a topic of conversation between me and my boss I mention that I'm debt free and I save most of my income. I always find some way to mention how I'm saving more money than I used to or that I've learned some new skill. Sometimes I flat out lie and say I did really great in the stock market or something, anything that makes them think that I can leave whenever I want.

Still, my co-workers are in bad situations, most of it is their fault (gambling, bad money management, etc) and it negatively impacts me because when one employee gets a raise it increases the likelihood that others will as well. A few reforms would make it much easier for them to ask for raises, namely a stronger social safety net. If there was a public healthcare option many employees wouldn't fear losing their jobs as much and would be more likely to ask for raises. I wouldn't be opposed to some form of debt forgiveness either because jesus christ Americans are in debt.

I prefer a government job/skills program (building homes, plumbing, computer work, hvac, whatever) over raising the minimum wage because it would give people an opportunity to learn skills and earn a livable wage. If people decide they don't want to work that hard they can choose to work somewhere else for less. Win win. Most companies would have to compete with the government wages/benefits except for the extremely low skill jobs. The problem now is that a low skill job is the only option available to people with low skills. The America I was always told about was the one where a guy could go to work and learn something that would benefit him later or outside of that job but that's not the reality.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh... poo poo. I didn't mean work-house. I meant public works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7TN_CKp9U

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

You mean like the WPA and AmeriCorps? Yeah, those would be a huge help if they were well funded and weren't treated like welfare programs by assholes.

Exactly.

• Locked thread