Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Infinite Karma posted:

Labor spontaneously organizing to bargain for better wages and benefits is extremely rare, so it seems to me that a top-down approach is better to even the playing field. My proposal is this: what if a law made it mandatory that every employee's compensation was openly available to all other employees? From the CEO to the Janitor - wages, salaries, bonus structures, benefits, and perks are plainly listed out. There is a huge cultural taboo (at least in the U.S.) about discussing pay, especially with coworkers, and a law telling us that we should discuss it, especially with the specter of employer disapproval seems pointless.

I'm sure big business would fight tooth and nail to stop this, but what arguments are there to keep these things secret?

Telling people how much you make in my workplace will get you fired. They told us that on day 1, since we were hired in at a higher rate than other people doing essentially the same job. They were very up front about how they didn't want fairness in the workplace when it came to wages.

I don't even work for some small bullshit outfit, I work for Hewlett Packard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

They can tell you that all they want, but it's illegal for them to actually do it. They're just counting on the fact that you don't know that. Most workers don't know their rights, so employers can run roughshod over them with nothing but empty threats.

They can actually do that in Oklahoma.

ErIog posted:

The bolded part is extremely precious and a common tactic in enforcing the "oh god please don't talk about wages, whatever you do!" culture at companies. Nobody ever gets told, "You get paid less than other people. Deal with it. Don't mention it to anyone." Everyone gets told they're getting a good deal and make more than other people. That's how the nuts and bolts of the scam work.

People doing hiring are reverse sales people. Usually sales is about making the prices go up while making the customer feel really good about it. Hiring is that process in reverse. The numbers are supposed to go down while the employee is pleased as punch about it. Recently there's a new twist on it, though! The job market sucks so much poo poo that a lot of people have the added pressure to settle negotiation on their wages prematurely because they have expensive hobbies like Eating and Paying Rent.

edit: After re-reading your post I can't tell if you actually bought that line from your bosses. So I apologize if you saw through it, and I've misunderstood. I'll leave this here as a record of how stupid I am as a form of penance.

To be fair it was actually true, (people are going to talk in private about it eventually, ban it all you want) but I know it works both ways. They fired a guy around the time I got hired for complaining that we were getting paid more than him despite him having 3 years more experience.

HP is a really lovely company to work for as far as wages go. I like my benefits, but making what I make for my level of experience with a company as big and profitable as they are is bullshit. Don't work for these people.

Zwiftef posted:

Did you miss the part where most of the major tech companies were already doing this?

I can't speak for anybody else but HP is #1 (or 2, depending on who you ask) in enterprise services and anyone who isn't at the upper end of their workforce is either having their jobs being replaced with contractor positions (that pay barely above minimum wage) or have had their salaries permanently frozen. I am ineligible for a pay raise. Forever. This is pretty much the standard across their helpdesk and deskside support positions. If you want to make a decent wage in IT you need to be a developer or have some serious certifications, and even then from what I've seen in my workplace you are getting dicked around constantly.

I imagine the west coast environment is very different, but it would be. But there's a lot more of us in the industry than the people in California, Washington and New York, and my experience has been less than stellar. Wage stagnation is very much a thing in this industry.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? They shouldn't be able to; regardless of what Oklahoma law says, federal law prohibits it and that takes precedence. I suppose if they're small enough, federal labor law wouldn't apply to them, but I think HP's just a bit over that line.

What would I do if I got fired? I don't have the money to afford the kind of legal representation required to battle so-called at will employment. Beyond that, I don't see what is legally protected about talking about my wages with others. "Employment at will" is a bitch.

Pay reform has to come in the form of hard federal legislation. States and corporations will never do it on their own. There's nothing in it for them.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

wateroverfire posted:

That's assuming things work the way they work now, which they won't necessarily. If a supposedly stellar employee wants to jump ship to another company for a raise, that company can point to the pay database and say "sorry, this information is public and hiring you at X wage would be problematic." where before they might have met her requirement and stayed quiet about it.

While I don't necessarily completely disagree with what you're saying I think using a woman as an example in this case is incredibly disingenuous because the current system of wage secrecy hurts women more than anyone else. For every one woman in the situation you cited, there is a hundred more being disenfranchised who don't know it and won't know it as long as wages remain secret.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think the #1 reason there isn't a push to unionize among hourly IT positions is because most of them can be shipped to India, Costa Rica or Romania tomorrow, and the only thing it's going to upset in the grand scheme of things is the sensibility of the jingoist racists who work for you or your client. Automation, simplification of computer systems and "the cloud" have made helpdesk and to a lesser extent deskside support into a job where you teach people how to navigate menus. Everybody wants better pay but hourly IT jobs probably won't exist at all inside of ten years and those of us who haven't had the chance to jump to salary yet aren't in any rush to speed up the process.

Our #1 most common customer comment on surveys is "thank god somebody speaks english". When that's the only advantage we have over people who work for half (or less!) of what we do, how much longer can that gravy train possibly last?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

Isn't the point of unions unskilled laborers who can easily be replaced organizing for job security and that kinda poo poo?

Unions provide job security by making employers think twice before trying to fire people. They can't prevent a business from closing shop and moving someplace else. In manufacturing, unions do enough to prevent employers from doing poo poo like firing employees so they can re-hire somebody cheaper into the position, and the cost of opening up a new shop somewhere else is prohibitive enough that the company is going to be very hesitant to not just work with the union. An IT company can get a new datacenter or callcenter online and a full workforce in a few months if they use an existing building, and it'll pay for itself in a few months in savings.

I support unions 100%, but it is really not an exaggeration to say that widespread unionization in IT would completely obliterate the field at the level that could actually unionize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

With call centers shifting from India to the Philippines, I've found the accent thing to be less of an issue.
Anyway, just give it another couple years, real wages should go low enough in the South than we can onshore call centers again.

We're hiring on our new contract positions at like 8.50 an hour. It's criminal. The company we contract for pays HP 30 dollars per call. Our average call time including ticket wrap is 15 minutes.

• Locked thread