Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004
Most state governments and state universities already make salaries public. As far as I know, this really hasn't helped anyone's bargaining power.

HR can just write vague job descriptions and create a ton of arbitrary ranks that they award at will (e.g. Analyst I to Analyst XII).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Isn't the trade-off for working in the public sector that you earn less in exchange for better non-pecuniary benefits?
How does open wages factor into this at all?

This is fast-changing, though, as the Feds and states look to gut pensions, never offer raises, institute furloughs, etc.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

shrike82 posted:

It's not that surprising that it'd be less of an issue with public sector jobs given that pay/promotions tend to follow a more methodical stepwise process (GS etc.)

I think it'd be a lot more common to see issues with entry level hires making more than early career hires or external hires making more than internally promoted hires in the private sector.

No, I already posted this but was ignored. For example, check out UC salaries: http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/#req=employee%2Ftop%2Fyear%3D2013

Professors all get paid different amounts (even at hire), and there are no stabbings. Or unionization either.

Edit: Actually, look at any department on that site, and sort by job title. Everyone within a title makes a different wage.

Slobjob Zizek fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread