Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It's great if your family is well-off enough to have those kinds of connections or you went to an Ivy League, but the size of your useful network is pretty much directly proportionate to your income, so it tends to lead to jobs being snatched away from the lower class to be given to the wealthy. Also, the personal connection tends to lead to the person getting more generous pay than someone of their experience might otherwise be getting in that position.

Are you under the impression the totality of networking is when your dad play's golf with the CEO of some company that will give you a job as a favor or something?

Edit: Networking isn't something you do when you need to find a job, its something you do so that you can find a job when you need one.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Poorer people are less likely to know someone at a decent company with the authority to inform hiring/firing decisions, especially early in their career. When you grew up in a lovely neighborhood and went to a lovely college, you've got a much less useful network because most of the people you know are working shitjobs like mopping floors. When you don't have much opportunity, odds are good none of the people you know have much opportunity either. Hell, almost the entire value of fancy colleges like Harvard is in having the opportunity to network with the upper class.

Your definition of a person without opportunity is someone who only went to a "lovely" college? Would it blow you mind to find out people who never even went to college find employment through networking?

I'm not trying to be insensitive to people struggling to get started in this poo poo economy but this line of complaint seems to be largely "gently caress those people who managed to establish themselves". I'm struggling to see the difference between this and complaining that companies would higher someone with relevant experience over someone without.

The poo poo economy and youth unemployment are definitely issues that need attention, trying to make networking into some sort of weapon the upper-class are oppressing you with is silly.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mugrim posted:

But it's 100% true? Networking is inherently about gaining access to people in your field, and for many people that is a huge barrier for a variety of reasons including race and gender. Like, the requirement of 'networking' is literally one of the most important reasons to have affirmative action. The more white, male, and straight you are the better access you have to management.

Well ya, I can definitly see it being a problem in regard to race/gender discrimination even if its only the sort of accidental "I'm more likely to have people like me in my social circle and people like me are the ones that have a disproportionate number of the good jobs" type.

I was responding the the notion that networking is only for Yale grads or some nonsense

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

This is a bad thing, because it reinforces that whole 'levels' thing. Obviously, nowhere is going to be able to do a perfectly objective measure of merit, but there's a lot of legitimate reason to call in-networks that promote because of who your daddy is or what prep school you went to are harmful, both to the organization they're part of and society as a whole.

Except networking isn't really "getting a job because who your daddy is" that's more like straight nepotism. Networking is more along the lines or getting a new job after you get laid off because joe smith who you used to work with knows one of his clients has an opening for the same position so he offers to introduce you.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Really, saying 'this ignores reality' isn't a very good substitute for an argument.

Professional networking often propagates exclusion of people from lower classes and the non-dominant race. Even though the reality is that a lot of people get jobs through their networks, it doesn't follow that this is therefore fine. There is a big difference between being vouched for as "Yes, I know him, he did a wonderful job and he'll be a great employee," and "Yes, I know him, we were in the same frat, he's our kind of people." The latter is, indeed, bad, and is also common. The previous isn't in and of itself bad, but it can be in that it excludes people who didn't get the chances to prove themselves in the first place. For example, getting internships (the real ones, not the 'make 'em do the photocopying' type) can be a significant foot in the door, can help with grad school applications, etc., precisely because someone can then legitimately vouch for you. But if the way that the internships are awarded is itself tainted by the second kind of 'networking', then a lot of people never got the chance to prove themselves.

The two types of networking are highly intertwined and hard to tease out, precisely because of this.

One of the biggest things an employer is looking at during an interview is whether they think you'll fit in with the culture of the business, having someone vouch for that fact can almost be as important as vouching for hard skills. Human's are social animals, the ability to get along socially and work well with your peers is actually a part of your value.

Yes, this is dangerous and you can replace "culture" with "is he white/male/etc and it can get very ugly very quickly. You've never going to divorce "do I like this person" from being a major part of a hiring decision though, which is why affirmative action programs which ideally had diversity to the pool of people making hiring decisions and blunt the institutional momentum of favoring white males simply by nature of the upper echelons are dominated by white males.

edit:

quote:

Also if you limit your definition of networking to people you actually worked with side by side, you're probably doing it wrong in real life. Most people network with friends, people they know from tertiary experiences that they met in work situations, etc.

By definition, if you worked with them, they're already in your network. Networking is about meeting new people.

I was just making an example, also maybe I'm incorrect but I was under the impression the term "networking" could be used to refer to both the act of growing your network by meeting new people, or the act of making use of said network

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy poo poo dude, I mean ya there's issues with aptitude tests being skewed because of cultural familiarity, but you can't have a racial disparity in access to education and training and not have a racial disparity is job qualification. The only way one of those things doesn't de facto follow the other is if you argue that training/education have no impact on job qualification, which I think is a ridiculous position to take despite all the amusing anecdotes about your friend named William who's wicked smart.

I also highly doubt anyone in this thread would take the position that racial disparity in education isn't a big problem that needs addressing.

edit: In regards to language chat, communicating with people with whom you share limited language is a skill. Communicating in a learned language with someone who possess this skills is a whole different ballgame then someone who does not.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That would be a ridiculous position to take, which is why I never took that strawman position. Aptitude tests certainly correlate to job performance, but to the extent that they are influenced by other factors, they tend to entrench privilege and disqualify minorities over and above the inequities that already exist.

Direct examples of that have already been posted, which is why I take such exception to on-the-left's almost religious insistence that any racial skew in test results must be revealing the underlying merit, and that anyone worried about bias is just strangling business with political correctness. Look:

I'm not straw-manning you, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were responding to the things on the left actually said and not some ridiculous strawman you had constructed of his position

VitalSigns posted:

I haven't posted a single anecdote :confused: Are you just imagining posts I've made that you would like to take down?

I was preemptively responding to a line of argument I thought you might take while referencing a post PT6A made in support of you. Sorry if that wasn't clear

VitalSigns posted:

Hey if he wants to discuss how he would correct for those disparities I would love that, but so far all I've seen from on-the-left is him using our broken educational system as an excuse for why white men really deserve the jobs and promotions along with whining about how every suggestion put forward to remedy this is unfair to the beneficiaries of our purely meritocratic job market.

Do you guys have some sort of secret slap fight you'd like to let the rest of the class in on or something? He didn't say anything of the sort

• Locked thread