Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Obdicut posted:

THis undervalues people who can affect or change the system, though. This is predicated on an idea that your system and culture as they are currently is superior and doesn't need to be changed. A lot of good employers, especially when looking for candidates for top positions, actually actively look for people who can shake up and change the culture, so what you're saying isn't even strictly true.

There's also the difference between the actual working culture, and the socialization of workers outside work. It is almost certain to get really lovely if you're not only considering if the guy will do his job right but also if he'll hang for beers with you after and if you'll feel comfortable with him then.

While I'm having a hard time figuring out where the daylight is between "the culture of the business" and "having the same basic profile of the people who do the hiring/run the business," there is something to be said for social fit. It's not just a matter of "will he do his job right," but "will I want to summarily execute him after 60 straight hours in the office trying to get something out the door on a tight deadline."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Except per Griggs (though obviously in light of Ricci, who the gently caress even knows where the law is on this issue now, thanks Roberts Court), you can still implement a test if the test actually pertains to the ability to do the job in question. You just can't implement a test with disparate results for the fun of it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

on the left posted:

You can't use a general aptitude test, which would seem like a pretty good test for a lot of white-collar jobs.

The law is really broken when you can't legally say "I want to hire the smartest workers with no criminal record" because both of those conditions create a disparate impact on minorities according to federal court rulings.

The problem is that "seems like a pretty good test" is not "is a pretty good test." For example, a 1991 article from the NYT discusses how the well-known General Aptitude Test Battery not only disproportionately screened out minorities, but actually tended to underpredict minority job performance and overpredict white job performance.

• Locked thread